DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draining the fuel tank???

82K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  kurupt17 
#1 ·
What's the easiest way to drain the fuel tank?

I thought I read somewhere that a certain fuse combination would allow me to drain via the fuel lines. I have a fuel gauge with a bleedoff valve and tube that would work like a champ if the rails would keep pressure.

I really don't want to have to try and get up under there to get to the tank.

The manual says that using a scan tool "Activate fuel pump and drain tank until empty." That's how they would do it at the dealership.

#2 ·
#3 ·
#4 ·
Why not just syphon it out the in hole? Gravity is your friend

#6 ·
The tanks have anti-siphoning valves and you can damage them if you start jamming things down the inlet tube.

#7 ·
Thats just not right but smart on their part. Looks like you learn something new every day. There is always driving it if you can

#8 ·
Yeah i would just drop the tank and then power the pump with 12v to pump it all out.

#10 ·
why drop the tank? You can probably find the harness somewhere else and find a plug to tap into. Wheres the anti syphon valve thingy? Can you disconnect the filler in the right wheel well to get past the valve?

#11 ·
The issue with tapping the harness elsewhere is where are you going to dump the fuel. You would also have to get the fuel line loose elsewhere.

As for the anti-siphon valve, it is in the tank.

#13 ·
Are you changing tanks or problem in the tank? I do think it's easier and if you have a 2nd friend is to remove the bed. we did that on KRS truck when working the rear lift kit and the fuel tank hose and electrical, plus the electrical to brake/ tail lights are the only other thing to remove. 400-500 pounds of bed

#15 ·
Anyone ever figure out a easy way to drain the tank? My truck has been sitting for a year with a full tank. I am ready to crank up the new stroker but need to figure out how to get all of this gas out hopefully without dropping the gas tank.

#16 ·
The simplest but most time consuming would be to hook-up a line to the fuel rail and use the fuel pump in the tank to push it out. Once the fuel was out, you could clean everything and put enough fresh fuel to get you to the gas station. If I was working by myself, I believe that's how I'd handle it.

:)

#17 ·
The accelerator seems to work wonders for me.

#19 ·
Yes but this gas is old and has been sitting out in hot Texas weather for a year, more then likely it is no good. Don't want to take the chance.

#18 ·
I just sold my old tank to someone and before I did I looked down the nipple where the incoming fuel enters and that check valve is a round flat spring loaded valve that works like this.

When incoming fuel is going down the hose and into the tank it hits the top part of the valve and pushed down from the force of the fuel hitting it and goes into the tank.

When fuel stops the springs tension over powers the weight of the fuel and pushes it up and closed preventing fuel from exiting the tank.

I looked and looked and it seems this valve is molded into the tank and cannot come out.

#20 ·
Do you have a standard cab and 6.5 bed? If so I can see the bolts to the bed be removes and slide the bed back 6 inches and then you have access to the top of tank, remove the fuel sending unit/ pump combo and then siphon off the gas thru that opening.

#21 ·
Ok I figured out an easy way to do it. I pulled the fuel pump relay #58 and ran a jumper from the battery positive to the #87 pin where the relay goes and that turned on the fuel pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.