DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

front axle joint?

963 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Positive Impact 
#1 ·
hello, I took my 99ram 4x4 to get inspected, the shop said it needs a front axle joint.. I'm not sure what he means? any help would be greatly appreciated..

#6 ·
Depends on how rusty things are and if you have the right tools.
+1; if unit brgs are rusted/grown tightly into the spindles they can be a real super bitcch to get out, beating up the ball joints, steering box, and steering parts; and there's always the risk of oil seal damage during reassembly (pay attn here: almost the whole frt axle needs to be disassembled to change dr side oil seal!!!)

#8 ·
'IF", and that's usually a big if, the 1500 unit brgs (hubs) come out easy a puller is handy; most have to resort to backing out hub bolts, but leave a "impact socket" on the bolt head and then turn steering wheel till impact socket contacts the C on axle housing, and then crank/BANG/BANG steering wheel till rusty unit brg finally bursts out of the spindle (now you know why ball joints, box, most things steering get a freaking beating, and may be damaged).
..If ball joints get hurt and fail later, will be doing the job again (or paying again!) and risking damaging the oil seal/s again, and the whole cycle starts again (during reassembly, do not drag axle splines thru dirt, and ensure axle/splines do not bump/bend/damage oil seal/s.
... Search here; or search for a vid (had one; sorry, can't find it but it's link is posted in a few threads here somewhere).

#9 ·
You need a big socket to get the nut off the axle shaft. If the hub/bearing are rusted you will have problems getting it out. After you get it out if you need either a hydraulic press or a big vice to get out and put in the joints. If your ball joints need replacing now is the time to do it!

#10 ·
concur on the difficulty in removing the wheel bearings if they are rusted in. I finally had to give up & pay a shop to do it (and I NEVER pay someone else to work on my vehicles.....I didn't ask, and they didn't tell, how they finally got the old ones out...). Yes, you also need that big honkin' socket to fit the nut. Otherwise not a bad job.
Mike S

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.