DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idle ticking sound

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dmcelhannon 
#1 ·
For a while now I've noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. It's the second generation 4.7. It happens between the Rev ranges of 500-1200. I've looked everywhere and the only thing I've been able to find is about the first generation 4.7. I've checked the exhaust and there's no missing/loose bolts. Has anybody had any experience with this?

#2 ·
What model and model year is your truck?

#4 ·
I searched for a TSB that could potentially be related to what you're experiencing, but I was unable to find one. Are there any other symptoms that occur along with this noise?

Others may be able to chime in on this if they have experienced something similar, but my recommendation would be to bring your vehicle to a FCA dealership to have it formally diagnosed. If you decide to do so and would like assistance scheduling an appointment, please reach out to me!

#5 ·
I have been searching for the answer when mine developed it on a long haul. Pretty much the same truck but 1 year newer. I discovered a post buried in another post that gave me my answer. I recently realized it did not tick on start up but rather after about 2 minutes. This is not an exhaust leak as that would either leak all the time or stop when it heated up, this is not a lifter or bearing as these would probably knock or rap all the time. The answer was the fuel solenoid. It is controled by the ECM and it works in an open loop for the first 2 minutes and then it opens and closes rapidly to control fuel pressure after that. You are hearing the solenoid working.

#7 ·
first off how many miles on your engine, second how loud is the ticking noise, I have a 4.7 and for me it was the lash adjusters, Just finished changing all on both banks, found two that were lacking, spring internally had worn collapsed. now at start up and running long periods is good

#8 ·
The service writer at my dealership in El Paso had this problem with a number of the Durango's and Dakota's. If a new fuel solenoid didn't solve the noise, they use rubber isolators. I'm not sure if you can do the same thing with the Rams.

#10 ·
Update on mine, I was previously GreenHemi, posted above. I traded mine in Sun. as it developed more of a "rap" then ticking. First service tech at dealer, an older man, walked up to it with t he hood up and declared it in the lower end in seconds. The service manager told me when they started it up cold the next morning, Sunday, they could all hear the rap. After another tech "diagnosed" it they informed me that the upper valve train would be replaced under warranty. What happened to the lower end?:surprise I walked into the dealership area and traded it on the spot. Got a Hemi again.
Mine had 58000 miles on it. As another noted above, it started the ticking on a long haul with a trailer. If mine had only 9000 miles on it they would have been putting a new motor in. But with my mileage and the towing, I cut my losses.

KL

#12 ·
Just for FYI...

In the past, DT members have said the "tick" was an exhaust leak, worn rockers, worn push rods, and the timing chain tensioner causing the noise. A few have said it's the fuel injectors. If you can rule out the exhaust leak and the others mentioned above you may want to consider changing to lighter weight oil and a better oil filter as well. Some have always run Mobil1 5W30 synthetic-oil and have experienced the tapping noise. They changed out to M1 0w30 synthetic-oil with the M1 oil filter and it has reduced the tapping quite a bit.

:dtrocks:

#14 ·
For some reason, some of these engine just cannot seem to get rid of "the tick". My first engine was smooth and quite as can be but this new one makes all kinds of noises. It'll be ready for it's first oil change next month and I believe I'll cut open the oil filter to see what's in there. Personally, I hate engines that make all kinds of little noises. We'll see if the two of us will get along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.