DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Does Your Ram Have The Infamous Steering Wheel 'clunk / Rattle' ? Fix Found....

288K views 460 replies 190 participants last post by  Billl 
#1 ·
Hey 2nd Gen guys:

I was wondering how many here have had that annoying steering wheel / column 'clunk / rattle' develop in their trucks.

My '97 Ram 4x Cummins developed it and it was totally annoying - I replaced most all the front end components and it still had the steering column clunk.

I know the guys over at the Turbodiesel site have agonized over this, and suspect that the same trouble prone column is in most 2nd gen Ram Trucks - regardless of engine configuaration.

Anyhow, I just developed a fix with a machined Nylon / Delrin bushing and would be happy to share how I did it here, or offer them, once we develop it a bit further.

It totally transformed how my Ram steers - which surprised me. I was just trying to get rid of the 'clunk' - little did I know just how much the lower column bushing failure was allowing WAY excessive play, which made the steering vague & imprecise.

Now, the truck steers with rack & pinion precision - Amazing !

When you consider this can be done at a fraction of the cost of a new column from Dodge $ 700 ea, for the same (defective) design, it only makes sense.

Anyhow, I can post pics & procedure (still doing research, don't know what cost will be - pretty cheap), but it would help to get some feedback first, so to the original question:

I was wondering how many here have had that annoying steering wheel / column 'clunk / rattle' develop in their trucks ?

If so, please give: year, engine, trans, miles and any thing else you think relevant....

Thanks guys ...I'll post more once you give some feedback......take care David B. Ram Van (& truck) Man :gr_patrio

See less See more
#153 ·
Anybody know where David (RamVanMan) went? I bought one of his kits but the package must've gotten wet between him and me - the instructions, printed with an inkjet printer, are completely trashed - so, I can't do my install....

#154 ·
I have a big favor to ask - would someone who has the instructions for the 1500 auto trans be willing to scan their instructions and e-mail them to me? I'd REALLY appreciate it, since I'm apparently not going to get any help from RamVanMan.....

Thanks!

#155 ·
RamVanMan-

I have been reading about this fix...and I'm just asking if this is what I'm also experiencing.

I have an '01 1500 4x4, manual trans., with 40,000 miles.

I noticed this so called clunk/popping noise when I take a left turn...I took it to the mechanic and he told me that it was my upper and lower ball joints and I got those fixed. I gain heard the noise and he re-torque everything but its still there.

Now when I take a right turn I don't hear anything.....could this be the infamous clunk/popping noise that I hear and feel what seems to be right under my feet?

Need you help in Paradise to stop the noise!

Aloha,
Paele...

#157 ·
Well Fox Fader...aside from the previous post looking for RamVanMan, if what I'm experiencing is the same sound, noise, popping, clunking feeling that others are getting to be sure then I'm in on what this "fix" will do, and atleast my gut feeling was that I now know what the problem has been.

If he is around to chime in on questions from other members then great!

I'm not expecting for him to quickly drop what's he's doing considering from what I have read he has orders to fill, and making sure that his product works on other trucks....

patience is a verture........aloha

#159 ·
Paele said:
Well Fox Fader...aside from the previous post looking for RamVanMan, if what I'm experiencing is the same sound, noise, popping, clunking feeling that others are getting to be sure then I'm in on what this "fix" will do, and atleast my gut feeling was that I now know what the problem has been.

If he is around to chime in on questions from other members then great!

I'm not expecting for him to quickly drop what's he's doing considering from what I have read he has orders to fill, and making sure that his product works on other trucks....

patience is a verture........aloha

Ah yes gentlemen, I do appreciate your patience. I'm back, sorry for my long delay in returning to the forum board here.

You've got it exactly right -- been up to my "eyeballs in alligators" for the last 7 or 8 weeks. Orders are all currently shipped - it has been hard to move our family & business 2/3 of the way across America, and keep juggling all the needful priorties, while still filling orders in a timely fashion.

I have handled tech questions via the site for our steering fix, but some were mistakenly sent to our other email address which wasn't relaying them to us.

So, if you have any questions, you may use my email address located at www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com for fastest response, please. (the instructions all say it, too.....)

I am happy to help out here, too (as you can tell by reading this lengthy thread), but my time is so limited of late, I simply haven't been on the computer long enough to be handing a response to every comment, which though I regret, it's been unavoidable.

To the gent who needs new instructions, simply send me your mail address or fax number, and we'll mail or fax them to you:

DBazley@RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

Sorry again for the any delay in responding to your needs.

David B. RamVanMan

Shortly, I'll read all the back comments and offer a reply where needed....too late tonight....

#161 ·
OK, got my kit installed yesterday afternoon. Did it on the truck and it went slow because I've never dealt with steering before and I was working off a faxed set of instructions instead of nice color printouts. However, if I had to do another installation today I could probably do it in 30 minutes, depending on how fast the spring came off.

Anyways, bottom line is the kit completely fixed the snap crackle and pop in my steering. Good as new. I recommend this fix to anyone who's steering isn't quiet and smooth. An outstanding $60 investment.

#163 ·
#164 ·
Glad to hear you got it installed AOK - even if the faxed instructions weren't quite the same, you did great. It's not hard, really.

It just feels weird because you can't see the defective part - it's hidden up inside the lower end of the column outer shell - until you cut that retainer, pull of the spring, then pull the worn parts out, then it all makes sense. The stock part that gets worn and allows noise to occur is a cheap looking bearing that sits in a metal or plastic cup (Dodge used both types here & there).

This bearing is so chinzy you wouldn't expect it to work on your daughters roller skate, let alone to steer our trucks.

Anyhow, throw that stuff away and put in our retrofit unit and you're good to go.

BTW, I'm answering all emails usually the same day, sometimes in an hour or two.

I'll also attempt to stay abreast of comments here on the forum boards, of course !

I appreciate your patience - we're but a humble enterprise - but we aim to please you by shipping the kits out that you decide you need.

Mecgmecg, appreciate your report on how the job went. Happy Steering.

David B.
www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

#170 ·
I greased up the inside of my bushing from the kit with wax that you lube a bike chain with. Worked great and the steering didn't feel tight at all. Might be a good addition to the instructions.

#171 ·
I was just about to grab my chain lube when I though I better follow the directions, but I was wrong. I used grease, but it apparently is not good enough. I emailed for some help cause I believe the bushing will get destroyed upon removal. I don't wanna dis on his merchandise, but the longer it takes to get help well.......

#172 ·
I've read that other guys in this thread had the same problem as you. But, it seems that simply driving for a while will get the bushing to loosen up it's grip on the shaft and the steering effort returns to normal.

#174 ·
mecgmecg said:
I greased up the inside of my bushing from the kit with wax that you lube a bike chain with. Worked great and the steering didn't feel tight at all. Might be a good addition to the instructions.

What was the stuff that you used on yours? I am waiting for mine to show up and I would rather have to go purchase some of that than have real stiff steering for a few weeks.

Blake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.