DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Time to bag it- TrappedPerson's build thread

25K views 165 replies 13 participants last post by  Truckhead219 
G
#1 ·
NOTE* It seems like every time I find a thread with these kind of modifications in it, there is always someone who adds a comment like "You ruined a good truck," or something similar. Lets just avoid the arguments and cluttering a thread right now, and if this describes you, please just hit the back button now, thanks. END RANT

Alrighty, so I have started my journey into the adjustable suspension world. As of right now, not much has really been done passed taking off the box and taking some measurements and getting ideas in my head. I thought it would be a good idea, though, to get the thread started so you guys get an idea of what I am doing and what is planned.

Air management will be handled by Airlift's Autopilot v2 system, a York 210 engine driven compressor, Airlift Dominator 2600 bags, 2 5gal air tanks, and probably 1/2" hardline(haven't got this yet, haven't made up my mind)

Suspension will be a triangulated 4 link with 30" bars and bag on lower bar from Nfamus Air Suspension(should get here any day now), the bilstein shocks I already have from being lowered and it looks like a ford 8.8 rear end out of older F150's because they are narrower and same bolt pattern(Instead of narrowing mine). Upfront will be Michigan Metal Works control arms(haven't ordered yet). Can't make up my mind on Jeebus joints or ball joints. Only going to be running a 275 45 20 until I get 22s which will only be on a 265 30 tire, nothing crazy.

Gas tank? I dunno yet. Ive got this crazy idea to cut out the bed wall and move it in 13" and put the gas tank behind it. So basically with the tonneau open, the box will look like a shorter short box. OR raise the whole bed floor and put it underneath. OR just chuck in the bed for now and wait until I feel like buying a custom fuel cell and put it wherever I want.

I think that's all Ive got to say for now, its kinda late so I am sure I forgot something. This is all Ive got for pics, unless you guys wanna see some of the parts Ive started collecting

PS- All you 4x4 guys or other bagged guys that are thinking "WTF! YORK BRACKETS FOR A DODGE?! I WANT RIGHT MEOW!!!111!!!"

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227193&highlight=york+brackets

All Ive got to show you so far
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine

You boys and girls in the static game, I guess this is what happens when your shocks are to long and you just ride around with them bottomed out!
Auto part Automotive exterior

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Since I STILL don't have any progress passed this point, because an 8.8 is harder than I thought to find, I will attempt to keep viewers occupied with some pictures. I SHOULD have an 8.8 tomorrow, hooking it up to the driveshaft will be another story. Been waiting to full tear down the back so it is still possible to roll the truck around. Hopefully the diff will be in before the 4 link shows up, so then I can really start moving on this.
Tire Automotive tire Games Plastic

Wire Cable Auto part Technology Electrical wiring

Adapter Adapter Cable Electronic device Electronics accessory

#4 ·
If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. I been in the bagging game for a LONG time. Mainly minitrucks. But its the same concept. I will tell you this spend the money on a fuel cell make it look good. I have seen more then one truck burn up from dragging thru tank. Just throwing it in the bed looks half assed. You will love those bags I have had them in more then one S10. And actually have a set in the garage at this moment. (looking for another first gen S10 to bag) If you can afford it do hydro lines. Its nice to have something that has some flex to it compared to hard lines with soft line hooking up to the bag. The less amount of connections the better. No one wants to be under the truck looking for a leak they cant find. Cant wait to see this build sir!

G
#5 ·
Thanks. This is my first time doing it myself. That being said, it wont be hacked. A welder buddy will be checking in before anything goes down the road

Im thinking Im going to raise the bed floor to the height of the notch, then with all that added room underneath I will be able to fit a good sized fuel cell behind the axle but until then, the tank will be located in the bed but don't worry, atleast I have a tonneau.

Anyways, I picked up an 8.8 out of a 91 f150. Same bolt pattern, but the hub is bigger so the wheel doesn't slide all the way on. I will figure that out later. Also found out that conversion U joints exist, so that solved my driveshaft to diff issue.

Got the back end all stripped down. Removed leafs, gas tank, shocks, rear end, drive shaft, and cut off exhaust

Attachments

G
#7 ·
I ran out of stuff to do today until the 4 link shows up. Cut off the shock mounts and leaf spring mounts on the 8.8. grinded it all smooth, knocked out the U joints from the ford drive shaft and the Dodge driveshaft and installed the conversion U joint. Slid the driveshaft back in and bolted the diff up. Now I sit and wait for parts to show up.

Attachments

#8 ·
Looks good man cant wait to see more. Doing a BD bed with spacers is another great and clean way to do it. But if you BD the bed will the tank fit or are you going to cut the bed up then find a donor bed when the fuel cell comes. On S10s we use to raise the tanks up. I dunno if that works on a ram.

G
#9 ·
No I can't leave the stock tank underneath because a good amount of it sits under the cab. I am not cutting the cab floor just to save the gas tank. It would have to go up so far, that's just work I don't need. From just eyeballing and not actually measuring yet, I think I might be able to put the air tanks there and put the fuel cell between the rails behind the axle.

#10 ·
Totally understandable. On the S10s it only went up about a half inch to a inch. Basically redrilling the front mount holes higher then building a new gas tank cross member and then we would bend the pinch weld up never cut the floor for it. It worked well. But having the stock filler in place made that nice. So going to the far back with it will still keep it easy. And with the BD floor in the bed you will get a lot of room under there for a good size tank. I did a 10gal fuel cell (it was free) In a SBC S10 talk about living at a gas station. LOL Man I wish you lived closer I would love to help with this!

G
#11 ·
Speaking of fuel cells. Any ideas on how to use the stock sender, pump, ect? I don't want to run a seperate gauge for fuel. I'm thinking find one thats close to the same depth, I could cut out the plastic part of my stock tank it attaches to and use that as a spacer, then drill the like 12 holes into the fuel cell and boom. If I can pull that off, fuel cells are pretty cheap, would be worth it to just do it off the bat. Not sure what size though, if the stock size is 24gal(says the Internet) I think a 20 or 24 gal would be fine.

Put in the order to michigan metal works for control arms today! Probably going to take like two months to get those though

#12 ·
G
#14 ·
Picked up the second tank today and ordered some trailer tubs for the front. Yay happy valentines day truck!

Don't worry, you have some time to catch up. I'm gone all next week and the week after that school work piles up. So if you can get anything more done before march you will be winning lol.

#16 ·
im not sure why it took me so long to find the new thread but the build is looking good so far

G
#17 ·
Just got off the phone with Keith at nfamus. Apparently there was a border issue. ETA of the 4 link is next Tuesday. Just had a buddy tell me he's got notches for me, apparently he decided to build a frame for his gmc. Going to go get those tonight when I help him pull his cab off.

G
#18 ·
Pardon the lack of updates, school is gay. Anyways, I thought I'd post a pic to keep people interested. Got the whole back half from my buddy so I spent the past couple days when I had spare time on cutting them out, grinding them smooth, then cutting them to fit my truck. Just gotta pop em in now.

Attachments

#22 ·
Well that's one thing I definitely give you credit for having the guts to do all that cutting. I don't think I could bring myself to cut into mine. I hate even drilling holes in mine lol. But your end result will be pretty bada$$

G
#23 ·
Well, once you have anticipated something to happen, it's easy. What I mean is, right now I would be very uncomfortable pulling my motor out, but I am sure you are having no issue with that lol. My only concern is getting back on the road for this summer and not in the garage unfinished forever

#24 ·
Ya I guess that's true eh. This is my first motor swap I've ever done so its a bit of learning as I go but between my grandpa and my mechanic buddy I'm feeling pretty good about it.

#25 ·
motor swaps, cutting a big hole between the bed and the cab. its been done lol.
even hacking up and rebuilding a frame.
the first cut, bolt, weld, fabrication, tape line, is always the worst. if you can overcome your fear of making a mistake you will do a great job. and as this is going its going to be a good one.

G
#26 ·
Not a lot to show you from today. Did a pile of staring and measuring, trying to figure out what I want to do

Cut the floor out. Got miles of clearance now
Floor

Testing clearance and all that good stuff
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior

Crossmemeber because I cut out the gas tank crossmember and cut out a crossmemeber below the cab for the driveshaft. WAS going to double as my link crossmember BUT I can't get enough triangulation with the bars like this /\ because of the offset pumpkin, so I am going to set the up like this \/ over the pumpkin. I THINK. I gotta stare at it a little longer. Expect more updates tomorrow night
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Suspension Suspension part

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.