DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help on towing travel trailer

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  V-10 GUY 
#1 ·
I have a 79 Dodge Power Wagon 1/2 ton and a 21ft travel trailer. I put helper springs like the second set in the pic on the truck but still get sag when the old trailer is hooked on, any ideas? maybe I should put a second set on my truck?

Attachments

#2 ·
are you using a weight distrubtion set up

#3 ·
I would say no.
Don't waste any more money on suspension upgrades till you put a weight distribution hitch on it.

#4 ·
I use one of those on my minivan to help with that and one of them broke into on me so those are not too good, if you where going that way I would try the air bag but like some said get the WD first and see.

#6 ·
weight dist hitch does wonders when installed correctly not only for leveling but, also for ride control (sway). Air bags work well for leveling and can supplement a W/D hitch but they don't do anything for sway. I use both on our truck but that's mainly because the tongue load on the truck can vary considerably.

#8 ·
When it comes to the springs you show, you get what you pay for. I had a set like the top picture and the only way I could get any benefit is to lift the frame of the Jeep so that the weight was removed from the stock springs and then install the helper springs. It worked but man did it ride like crap. You are going to need a WD setup and then if you still need addidional support in the rear of your TV, a good set of progressive springs like Hellwigs or Roadmaster Active Suspension.
Unfortunately this is one are you can't go cheap on unless you happen across a used set on Ebay or Craigslist. The WD hitch should be easy enough to find on either one. I got my WD setup, Curt brand, for about $140 shipped to my door from Ebay and that was brand new.

#9 ·
There is no way that a 21ft. travel trailer should need airbags, helpers springs, etc. on a 1/2 ton truck. As mentioned above, it needs a weight distributing hitch. Anything less will be a cheap bandaid that will not correct the real issue.

#10 ·
I would agree. get a GOOD w/d anti-sway hitch. I use an Equalizer but the Reese dual cam is just as good. Both will cost you around $500 new.

#11 ·
I agree with the WD Hitch. As for helper springs I'm not a fan of them. If I ever needed help on the rear I have always gone the Air Spring/Air Bags route. On my 32' TT I needed Air Bags on our 86 F250 4x4. Remember these older trucks don't have the built in towing capacity of these new ones. I really see that since buying our 99 Dodge 2500 4x4 we just bought. It makes my old Ford look like a 1/2 ton in the area of springs & rear ends Dana 80 vs a Sterling 10.25 no comparison. I used a WD hitch on the Ford or it would of never gone down the road over 40 mph.
So you may need Air Bags but my guess is a good WD Hitch will solve your issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.