DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with idle and acceleration from idle

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bunchajunk 
#1 ·
First a short bit of history about the truck. I have a 2001 Dakota 3.9L which has had the engine replaced with an identical engine from a 2002 Dakota. The shop that did the swap told me that the two engines were compatable and ideal for a swap. The old engine was junk due to the previous owner totally abusing it. At present, the 2002 engine has just under 100k miles on it (my odometer reads 129k). I've changed the plugs (gapped correctly), plug wires, dist. cap and rotor. Also new is the IAC, TPS, MAP sensor, and ECT sensor. I've checked the fuel pressure (which is within it's range) and I've replaced the fuel filter. The truck starts very easy every time. It accelerates smoothly while being driven. The problem I'm having is after I've driven the truck (in any temperature weather) maybe to the store or wherever, and I've let it sit for a short while, when I re-start the engine, it will idle down and after a few seconds it will start idling rough. When I put it in gear and step on the gas pedal, it'll pop and sputter and just won't go. It feels like it's refusing to take any gas. I've found that if I turn off the engine, then immediately start it back up, it runs fine after that....like it resets itself or something. Occasionally, at a stoplight, the idle feels slightly rough but acceleration is no problem. Also, there are NO DTC's set. Other than what I've mentioned, the truck runs fine. I don't know what kind of gas mileage it should get, but I've ranged anywhere from 13 to 18 mpg depending on what kind of driving I was doing. (City and/or highway driving) Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should look for or check? It's kind of annoying to have to start the engine TWICE to get the truck to go while you're out and about.
One other thing...after the engine swap, at least 3 of the 4 O2 sensors have been replaced. I believe both upstream sensors are new plus 1 downstream.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.