DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auto to manual swap 1990 w150

11K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  codyglock 
#1 ·
well i broke my a518 in half last december by blowing a cap off a ujoint doing 80...
and im sick of the pos auto trannies. so i bought an nv3500 from a 2nd gen. 5 gears, good od, and a nice short 1st gear all sound great to me :rck:
so ive done my research and i figured id do a write up on the swap while im doing it since i havent seen any nv swaps into our 1st gens online.

i got the trans for 450$ which was probably a little steep but oh well. so far ive got the trans, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and the clutch hydraulic setup. i need the pushrod for the slave cylinder though, (if someone could help me out on where to find one or if someone has one that would be great) i also need a clutch pedal setup (also if someone has one i could really use that)

so this last weekend i got the trans in. it surprising went in very smooth. but since i did my research i knew the new transmission was about 7 inches shorter than my old a518. so this means resized driveshafts and a new tranny mount. i got the transfer case bolted up right now to see what kind of work that will take to make that mount work also. luckily where the trans mount is, is directly over where the cross brace is so i just have to make a spacer to bolt the brace to the trans. another problem that im going to have is where to bolt the 4wd shifter mount. because before it used to mount to the side of the transmission, this trans unfortunately doesnt have the bolt holes for that haha.

i cut the hole for the shifter this weekend also and it ended up in a really great spot in the cab so im happy about that.

so now i just need some time to put the spacer i made to put in between the trans and brace. i need to line it up and drill some holes in the spacer so i can bolt it up. after thats done i can bolt up the tcase for good and make the mount for that. then after that i need to save some money up for trans fluid since it about 20$ a quart and i need 3. then get some money to have my driveshafts resized and buy some new ujoints.

unfortunately im not gonna be able to work on my truck during the week much cause i have work and school all day but i will work on it during the weekends when i have parts. so whenever i work on it ill try to keep everyone updated.

and since threads are much more fun with pics here are a couple for now :)

got my truck in the garage. kind of a tight fit haha

i think its broken a little...

new flywheel. put a used clutch and p plate on it though

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
some more pics for viewing enjoyment

the spacer i made

the trans put in, currently sitting on blocks. also notice the empty bolt holes on the side of the trans case. im assuming its where the 4wd shifter bolted on in the 2nd gen because the driveshaft/tcase shifter/pumpkin went to the driverside on the 2nd gens instead of the passenger side on the 1st gens

this is where the spacer goes

how the trans sits right now again

full hydro system i got for 10$ and the line hasnt been taken apart so bleeding wont be such a pain since its a non servicable system

im missing the rod for the slave (need one, can someone please help?)

#3 ·
Comments related to the flywheel photo:
Grade 8 bolts should be used on it and the clutch pressure plate. (6 marks on the bolt heads, not 3.)
There should be grease worked into the needles of the pilot bearing. (It looks dry.)

#4 ·
Yeah I tried to find grade 8 bolts but the only ones I my local stores had in the correct length were 5s. Im not planning on hammering on it so I hope to not have any issues.
And the pilot bearing was brand new and came greased. If you look closer you can see some yellow grease in there.
Thanks for the comments though. Im open to any advice or criticism haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.