DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installed a K&N Cold Air Intake today...

17K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  dwins1900 
#1 ·
I installed a K&N Aircharger high flow intake kit (part # 63-15610). The install took about 2 hours (taking my time). The fitment was good, and everything bolted up as it should.

There clearly is a noticeable power difference, as well as a noticeable difference in throttle response. Under normal driving conditions, it seems I do not need to push the pedal down as far to get the truck moving from a stop. You can't even tell that it's there. When you step on the throttle, you can feel a power difference, as well as hear the air being sucked into the engine.

My truck has 3,332 miles on it, and is averaging 17.0 mpg on the computer display. After my initial 35 mile drive after install (60% city and 40% back roads) , I am averaging 18.7 mpg on the computer display. I am hoping for a increase in mpg, which is what my main reason for purchasing was (besides increased power when needed). If the 1.7 mpg i saw today was any indicator of what I will get, I will be extremely happy. I know it will take more time for the computer to relearn everything, so I will post back with a before and after picture, as well as my findings in fuel economy changes!

Overall, so far, so good. I would recommend this mod to others!

Disclaimer: I know that I bought a 4x4 Hemi truck. No, I did not buy it solely for its exceptional fuel economy. It is nice, however, to get the most out of every gallon of gas used. :)

See less See more
#36 ·
I have run K&N open intakes for years on many vehicles. My last was a 4.7L RAM that I put over 90,000 miles on and put the intake on when I first bought it. Not a single problem, maybe because I followed directions and didn't over oil the filter like so many do and cause these oiled filters to get a bad rap.

One thing that cannot be denied, K&N has been around for YEARS and are found on some of the nicest high performance vehicles in the country and worldwide. There's a reason for that, they perform ;)

Getcha some!

#37 ·
hounddogg, I believe he was saying hit or miss on the spacer. You have made your point on the filter. Point taken!

#38 ·
Yea, we were talking about the TB spacer. I think he said his CAI system was an AFE with the spacer and that was his only mod. The long time members of the South Texas Mopars claimed his car was one of the fastest in the group.

:)

#39 ·
I know he was talking about the spacer. Majority of my reply was about the 'spacer'. Most of the diesel crowd will not use K&N because of dirt digestion issues.

#40 ·
That's because morons put way too many oil on the filter, it get sucked into the turbo, and you'll need a new turbo if you do not find the problem. The second is air flow; a diesel pulls two or three times the air of a gas engine. The air filter has to designed to handle that must air moving though it. You use the wrong filter and you'll be looking at a second turbo. I had a K&N in my 2000 Ford P/S C/C with all the power adder you could get short of bigger pump and turbo.

:D

#41 ·
Oil and loosing turbos is not the issues I have read about. Its high silicates on oil analysis..

#42 ·
OK, I had no problems in the Rotella oil from my Ford PS engine. With the 7.2L PS engine I used a remote Fleetguard dual filters setup. My '96.5 H1 Wagon (a 6.5L GM turbo diesel), the '96 F150 4.2L V6 I bought my Father, my '99 Jeep GC 4.7L, and now my 2002 Ram 4.7L have all had a K&N's since they were new. For my Ram, I got the filter the same weekend I picked-up the truck. When Sawcut64 (Sam) put the BV head and cams on my truck at 71K, the cylinder walls showed no signs of scuffing from truck at all. In fact you could still see some of the factory honing mark in the walls because there was so little wear-n-tear. As with any product that you do not use correctly, you're going to have problems.

:)

#44 ·
I still like the intake...

#46 · (Edited)
#51 ·
I would almost put money on the stock Ram intake system being restrictive on the 4th gen just like the 3rd gen trucks. As well as my filterless air box was on my 06, with a 4" cai pipe and running without the filter, I would pickup 2 tenths at the track instantly.

My Titan picked up nearly 15 RWHP and 26 RWTQ from a 4" Airaid CAI system compared to the factory system with a K&N filter. The stock is 2.75" fwiw.

#47 ·
:eek:fftopic: :popcorn: :drink:

mmmm.....popcorn.....Anybody else want in on this?

Oh and i like the intake, even if it is just pretty and hounddog says it doesn't do anything. Looks good bro. If you like it, well hell i guess that means it was money well spent wasn't it??!!

#48 ·
#49 ·
Ok well, I just had time to jump back on here. It looks like this thread has gone way off topic...
For me, the intake has made a nice difference in throttle response, seems to have a little more power and HAS increased my mileage by 1 mpg. I was getting 16mpg before the install, and verified over 3 full tanks of gas, that I am now getting 17 mpg. That is a gain of 1 mpg.

I am not looking to get into a debate about whether it filters dirt as well as a stock filter, or debate whether or not it makes a difference. I just wanted to post my experience with the product for others to see.

For me, it DID make a difference and was worth the money. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

#50 ·
That's great to hear with so few have had any luck with them! Get a few pictures when you have a chance.

:photo:

#52 ·
3rd and 4th entirely different intakes. Just look at them! Big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.