DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

neon question?

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  02NeonON17z 
#1 ·
Hi, im new to the site. My name is Devon and i live in New Mexico. Im buying a car in a few weeks and im looking at a neon for one of my choices. Ive ruffly got 2k and im wanting to know if i could get a early 90's neon for that? And is the motor good, what i mean is do they sell performance parts for these motors. Are they DOHC. I dont know a lot when it comes to dodge cars, so i ask for your honesty, do they break easly? I know GM guys say certain years of certain models of GM cars break easly. Thats why im staying away from the cavalier and sunfire, ive heard bad things about them plus every one ive seen the motor is in horrible shape. And can a stock neon beat a stock civic. I used to have a 89 civic hb and im wanting to get a car with more stock power. Im wanting to get a 2 door neon, but there rare here. All there is are 4 doors. Is the motor the same? Please give as much info as possible, as i said i dont know a lot about the neons. thanks for any info

#2 ·
keep your 89 hatch civic for 2 g'z you could get a b series motor and smoke Neon anyday.... and there is not a lot of parts for neons... i got a civic with a gsr motor and it runs high 13'z with boltz on... but i seen a 89 with a si or a sir motor.. they pretty quick for its class and got lots of mods for it...

drop in a si motor and turbo it, you could run in the 12'z if you a good driver...

#3 ·
See the problem is that i moved accross country and there was no way my civic would have made a 2000 odd mile trip over mountains and survived so i sold it. I do know a lot when it comes to honda and my plan was to do that swap when i lived in Va but when i moved here Nm my insurance doubled, plus im still in High school so i can only have a part time job. So i cant afford a lot so i was wanting a car that had good stock power, but doesnt kill my insurance. so my question are now do they have DOHC. stock neon vs stock civic, who is quicker. and are the early neons motor's any good? I know how fast the civic's are if there built right, i dont got the money. But i do appreciate the info, thanks.

#4 ·
You can find a good running Neon for $1500-$2500 for a first Gen, my Curent Neon is a 95 SOHC 2 dr and I only paid $1150 for it and the only problem I have had with it is the Timing belt breakin which Neons are Infamous for. In the first week of owning mine I raced a supposively worked over Civic (prob just a bodykit, wing CAI and Exhuast) in my Neon with just an aftermarket Muffler and smoked him. And 02NeonON17z is full of crap, there is alot of aftermarket stuff for the First Gen Neons out there as they have really started to get more recognization on ther Sport Compact Scene.

#5 ·
i guess so...... guess what shitt make stuff for my vehicle just aem and iceman.. cost a grip too. exhaust just apexi, struct bar just spw,n no name brands and just mopar parts.. thats why im more into hondaz than my neon.. or you could see a eclipse or talon for 1 to 2 g'z but expect high milage doe.... no big brake kits for neon... sucks but ohh well.. i just love the look of my 02 neon.. thats the point.. and i could upgrade it from now on since srt4 is being recognize and yea...

#6 ·
Wrong again on the no big brake kits....... I had 14" rotors on one of my old Neons that was aftermarket.

Do you not look through catalogs???? there are all kinds of companys mayking stuff for the 00-04 Neons, Ebaich, Brembo, AEM, APC, PaceSetter, Borla, Dropzone, IceMan, Apexi, and many more so you can not say there is no one that makes stuff for your yrs of the Neon

#7 ·
hey how come i dont have one.. i have a 2002 neon and dont got Big brakes kits for me.. wow SS brakes dont even make big brakes for 2002 neon till next yr or mid this yr....
its like i dont know shiit about performance for neon... and how come its hard for me to look for parts? performance shop always have to check what they have for me.. call all the companyy if they have stuff for my car...

#8 ·
well I been tuning Neons for the last 5-6 yrs so I kinda know whats out there

#9 ·
ohh ok kool... thanks for also lettin me know thats there is a lot of performance parts for neon commin outl.. later tunerneon

since you know more performance parts for neon than me.. can you tell me what kind of headers is betterr for my car? i have been lookin for parts but all i see is pacesetters i want to know what else do make one for 2002 neonz...

#10 ·
pacesetter is one of the better brands but I will look into it and get back to ya

#11 · (Edited)
thanks tunerneon for the info. You answered my questions. I will admitt that honda's are great cars, but im wanting a car with a little more torque without engine swaping. plus i was looking through a magazine and i noticed there quiet a few performance parts for the neon. question, is there a difference between 2 dr and 4 dr besides weight. Im going to try and get a 2 dr, but there rare here. And my last question what was the different kinds of trims do they have and whats the best. like i know there are neons but is there neons with letters that follow in the name that says its got a better performance motor than a base line neon or are they all the same.

#12 ·
Dude the biggest differance between a 2 and 4 door are the 2 extra doors *lol* just kiddin man. The best Model would prob be the R/T followed by the ACR, then the Sport then after that they are pretty much the same, like mine for example is a 2.0 SOHC Automatic but an R/T is a 2.0 DOHC that has been warmed up a bit from the fatory and is a 5 spd

#13 ·
thanks for the info. Are you two the only neon posters or what? And 02NeonON17z i do appreciate your info about getting a civic instead ,but the only one i could afford or find is the DX, the Si is a hard car to find. And the DX motor ( 1.5 sohc ) is a great motor if your not looking for performance. But im wanting a car that has a powerful stock motor that has performance parts open to it. But thanks guys.

#15 ·
Hell I live in this section *lol*

#16 ·
smikin hondas

ok first let me jsut say how many cars ive smoked with my stock sohc 2.0 5 speed neon. 1. 96 honda civic sohc v-tec
2. 2000 lexus IE300, 3. 95 honda prelude dohc v-tec (auto), 98 honda del-sol sohc v-tec auto, 2003 mitsubishi lancer (non-evo with auto) and a 97 mustang 4.6L with auto.......any questions? :D :rck: :rck:

#17 ·
ya just gotta love the stock power of the Neon, it has got to be one of the best 4 cyl cars around

#18 ·
:help: i like it but the next thing im gonna add to my neon is a turbo i just hope i dont crank it up too far lol so far ive got a cai, and exhast and it helps alot ive got about 14 more hp at the wheels than stock, so any ideas would be great if you guys have any.

#19 ·
yea the neon got lot of power for its class.. i have beated pretty much nice cars around here in vegas... there no doubt that a neon could beat sohc vtec motors... im just startin to upgrade my neon too since its top end is kind of weak but yea.. i love the neon especially when you beat some v8 like stang and inline 4 like civics n flat 6 like porsche boxter.. shewt it feels good to beat something.. even a Geo metro yo.. lol

#21 ·
:cool: ooops i sit corrected on the delsol thing i wasnt sure what year they stopped making them i know i rapped one though and thats all that matters right hehe :rck:

#22 ·
dude, there are Neons for sale everywhere. the fact that you've done as much research as you have says that you are interested in owning one. why not? more power than a stock civic, better handling, bigger engine, and lower price.besides, how many Hondas have their own SCCA class? domestic/import bullshit aside, the Neon is a better start towards a sport compact that leans towards "sport" and not "Spec V wing" and "performance enhancing body kits".and if those things are your bag, they're out there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.