DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help taking fan off

773 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  dmcelhannon 
#1 ·
Im trying to get my fan off of my 2000 ram 5.2L. I looked at our 06 and it looks close to being the same setup so i was wondering if the 3rd gen could help me?

When i try to loosen the nut, the pully just spins.

Thanks,

Garrett

#2 ·
The auto shop stores have a "strap" wrench. You need to keep the pulley from spinning to get it loose.

#3 ·
Here's a few pages from the factory service manual that might help you out. Please note that the threads are RIGHT hand threads.

Hope this helps!

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Attachments

#5 ·
No luck so far.

i bought a strap wrench, but it would not grip onto the pulley tight enough. I guess i need to buy the 6958 Spanner Wrench, and 8346 Adaptor pins. Where is a good place to buy them from?

thanks,

garrett

#6 ·
I bought the spanner wrench from NAPA and I just back out two of the bolts and hook it on them, I do not use the adapter pans. When I bought it I thought that was the only thing I would ever use it for, I was wrong. It has helped me out on several different occasions.

#7 ·
are ther any holes on the pulley itself? I put a phillips screw drive in one and wedged it on the water pump...one grunt on the wrench loosens the nut... this is the way I do it on the hemi's whenever we're pullin the front off for cam installs...

#8 ·
No luck at NAPA. The guy new exactly what i was talking about and said they didnt have anything that would work.

Yes, there are holes in the side of the pully, but the fan assembly is closer to the pully than on the hemi's, so there isnt enough room to shove a screw drive in it. i might try bending one and see if i can get it in there.

#9 ·
if screw driver trick wont work, go to home depot, get a piece of angle iron with holes in it, put a couple bolts and nuts in 2 of the holes, instant wrench, maybe 5 bucks.

#10 ·
It may not be an option with you but I took advantage and replace the radiator, water pump, thermostat, belt, and flushed the system when I did my e-fan. The radiator had blown a gasket so I bit-the-bullet and did the works. My thought was ‘what the hey, I have it pulled apart any way’. Since I was replacing the pump, I just remove the pump and fan together. It’s something you might think about if your truck has some miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.