DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Resetting the oil change in the speedo

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mike2810 
#1 ·
How do you reset this.it keeps comming on to tell me to see the dealer for an oil change.I already changed the oil and the dealer didn't reset it.

#2 ·
Did you search? Or check your owner's manual?

Turn the key on and press and release the gas pedal three times within 10 seconds....

#6 ·
I think it's triggered by mileage. So when you change it, just do the reset whether the light is on or not. I read somewhere that it monitors the oil life, etc.....but not sure.

I know my wife's Suburban and her new Pilot have a percentage meter on the oil life.

#8 ·
It doesn't actually monitor your oil life, but it's based on an algorithm that takes into account your driving habits. City type driving will trigger the oil change reminder earlier than highway type driving. At least that's what I've noticed with our '09 Journey. It usually starts reminding me around the 5500 mile mark.

#9 · (Edited)
Wheewww... I thought you getting work done in a Speedo.

#12 ·
http://www.moparmagazine.com/2009/may_june/oil_monitoring_light.html

BASIC OPERATION
The brains behind the oil change indicator system is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). It processes a variety of inputs (hardwired and bussed inputs) to decide the oil change interval. The PCM then broadcasts this interval decision, via the vehicle bus communications system, to the driver through a message on the odometer or EVIC display in the instrument cluster (Figure 2).

There are six inputs used by the PCM. The factors which indicate severe use (and a shorter oil change interval) for each of these inputs are listed below:

Ambient temperature – extended periods of low temperature operation
Average vehicle speed – stop and go driving
Engine run time – prolonged idling
Trip length and coolant temperatures – short trips
Engine speed and load – trailer tow usage
Flex-fuel percentage – ethanol percentage of more than 60%
Based on this information, at a fixed number of miles since the last reset of the system, the PCM calculates the combined effects of these variables to determine if a severe usage pattern exists. If severe usage is determined, the oil change message is activated at 2,500 miles; otherwise, the message is not displayed until additional mileage has accumulated.

It should be noted that this system cannot keep track of dusty conditions or time elapsed since the last oil change (calendar time). In fact, it is possible for the maximum allowable maintenance time interval to elapse without an oil change reminder being displayed. In such a case, it is the responsibility of the owner to change the oil based on the recommended interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.