DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A little help!

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  bluesman 
#1 ·
Hello Guys! I have been a Ford man up to this point but have now purchased a new to me Ram 1500 2wd. I have 33X12.5 tires all around and the front tires are rubbing some. I looked under and found the twist in coil spring expanders. I want to get these out so I am looking at leveling kits to have a more professional job. I have also looked at the instructions and each one I see it shows that the shock is inside the spring. This is not the way it is on my truck, the shock is interior to the spring, not in the middle. I manage a pawn shop and am buying this truck from the shop. Everything I can see is that this is a 1997 Ram 1500 2 WD with a 318. I am confused on why my spring setup is different from all the instructions I have seen. Do I have some type of different setup? Better? Hack job? What is the best way to get the lift to prevent tire rub?

#2 ·
not to offend you but- you got any pictures. i cant smell what rock your cooking!

#3 ·
Now I think about it! It is at the shop and I am not. The title says 1997 the door panel says 1997. All the pictures I see as well as Instructions I see on how to install leveling spacers as well as coil springs show the shocks INSIDE the coils but on mine the shocks are not inside but are next to the coils. looks factory but I'm wondering if something has been changed.

#6 ·
Ram 1500 2wd. I have 33X12.5 tires all around
33's on a two wheel drive 1500! :ugh
There is your first problem. Two wheel drives aren't designed to be used with large tires. There is a limit to how large you can go. I don't understand why people do it. If you want large tires buy a 4X4. :crazy:
What leveling kit do you have and is it for a 2X4 or 4X4? 2X4's have the shock outside the spring. 4X4's have it on the inside. I think you have one for a 4WD.

#8 ·
33's on a two wheel drive 1500! :ugh
There is your first problem. Two wheel drives aren't designed to be used with large tires. There is a limit to how large you can go. I don't understand why people do it. If you want large tires buy a 4X4. :crazy:
What leveling kit do you have and is it for a 2X4 or 4X4 2X4's have the shock outside the spring. 4X4's have it on the inside. I think you have one for a 4WD.
This is the way I bought the truck. I probably would not have went with this size tire but they are new and I like the looks. My next set may not be as large. I do not think I have any leveling kit. The only "lift" I have is the twist in coil spring things. This is what I am trying to eliminate. I can find a hundred leveling kits for a 1997 Ram 2X4 but in everyone one of the instructions I have seen, as well as all the photos I have researched, the shock is INSIDE the coil spring. On my truck the shock is not inside the coil spring, it is located directly behind the spring, when looking from the wheel well. I was a Hunter Alignment Field Technician for many years and am well versed on the underside of cars and trucks but I have always had and built Fords. This is my first Dodge and I am just trying to figure out exactly what I have. I have driven the truck and see or feel no steering or alignment issues, the only thing is when turning sharp I drag the inside, plastic part of the fender well. I have no history with this truck and can not contact the old owner. I have seen way to many hack and shade tree jobs to know that this is not one. I was under the truck yesterday and it looks as factory as I have ever seen with the exception that it is like no other one I can find. I was reading other threads talking about changing out a 1500 front end with a 2500 front end. Are the shocks and coils different on these vehicles? This is just a truck that a painter had and I got a hell of a deal. I have know him for a couple of years and he has always driven this truck so I know that it has been at least somewhat reliable. I know that it is difficult to see what I have without seeing what I have so I will post some pictures tomorrow night. I just thought that it may have been a common upgrade and someone on here may know what it was without seeing a picture.

#7 ·
i have seen 2wd leveling kits. just dont know where.
and for the minor amount of contact with the tires- you need new rims to correct that.

#9 ·
you have a ram runner project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.