DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HIDs in Sport/Laramie Projector Headlights?

18K views 78 replies 18 participants last post by  Shots 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone has put in HID bulbs on the Sport/Laramie headlights with the projector. I really want to get rid of the yellowish/halogen color of my headlights. The truck has a really nice headlight with a projector giving a great cutoff in the beam but still uses a halogen bulb. Seems like a perfect candidate for an HID bulb.

Anyone else do it on the factory Projector headlights? Just curious if there are any mods needed, any fab required etc.

Tried searching but came up with nothing.

#2 ·
Also, my instinct says stick with 35w but with the cut off line in the projector, kind of tempted to go with 55w. With that tho comes with more heat. Wondering if that is too much and will only lead to problems.

#3 ·
Stick with 35w in your housings. If you are interested in pricing, shoot me a PM. we're the longest standing lighting vendor on Dodgetalk, and have the lowest prices on HID components.

#4 · (Edited)
It's a little more involved than just a "bulb" swap,
You need to install ballasts and wiring harness with relays/resistors and capacitors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5S8WmY6pQ

Lots of guys upgrading to 35W 5k HID kits for around $155
With super easy to install canbus adapters to eliminate a lot of the wiring/relays,

Some of us with older Quads are even upgrading to the new 13' + PJ's
with a plug and play adapter from JJ at the Retro_Shop

I have a set custom Murdered out and tinted, HID (35W/5k) upgrade on the way.
(bulbs and ballasts wired up and installed within the lamp housing)

OEM projector Halogen bulb output (stock)

OEM projector, with HID'd (drop in kit)

35W/5000 HID low beams, 13' Ram PJ Heads (day time photo's)

35w/ 5k lows, 6k fogs

#5 ·
#6 ·
Also, get the canbus ballasts and you don't need all the extra stuff...costs a little extra but it freakin' WORKS.

And usually, they are small enough where everything fits INSIDE the projector so it is totally plug and play!! 35W is perfect btw........

#7 ·
We don't use "canbus" ballasts, but use a canbus adapter. Same cost ;)

I like the "idea" of the canbus ballast for a few minutes.......then I start to think.......if the capacitor or resistor fails, the entire ballast needs replaced. If its a separate part and fails, its not a ballast being replaced. (I think in terms of warranty stuff there).

#8 ·
Right on. Thanks for the help guys! Myself and a buddy are going to be doing HIDs on our Sports here soon so this helps out greatly.

In the past, I always just ran generic HIDs if you will but was able to make them work without issues. Sounds like the new trucks are kind of picky on what you put in. Im all for plug and play without the headache of having to troubleshoot things.

Thanks again guys!

#9 ·
I know a lot of people will tell you to stay away from ebay stuff, but I went with a canbus 55w kit off of ebay. It was about $80 for a kit which covers two lights. I got a kit for highs, lows, and fogs. I dont remember which bulbs size goes where, but i bought 9006 and 9005. I believe the 9005 fits in the low beam projector, and the 9006 fits fogs and high beam. Or it might be the other way around. Basically whatever bulb size the fogs are, thats what will fit in the high beam, and the other one will fit in the projector.
As far as problems...i had one bulb break at the beginning...not sure what that was all about but ive had them in for a year and havent had a lick of problems. I havent had any light out error messages or flickering or anything, and im using the stock wiring harness. The stock wiring plugs into the headlight, and then the wire in the headlight housing plugs into the ballast which is mounted externally. then the wire runs back into the headlight to the bulb. It sounds confusing but its really quite simple when you have it in front of you.
The only modding required was to drill holes in the back of the headlight to run the wires through. However, the kit i got had rubber grommets that fit the holes so it seals it up nicely. I'm very pleased with this kit for being an ebay kit. Also, no problems with heat from it being 55w.

#11 ·
Jeremy, I bought from DSK here in Houston (Jose and Thomas), so I do have the warranty! Yay me! But I love the whole plug and play thing.....

#14 ·
I was wondering the same thing but didn't say anything 'cause I'm a 3Gen guy.

It is fuzzy, Ram used a lens on the projector that is not optically clear....and its purple to boot. LOL
PURPLE! Is it Dr Pepper purple?!?!? :hyper:

Now it makes sense. All the non-USA bulbs and housing I've used have had a crisp straight cut off. I kinda like them because the line makes it stupid easy to adjust the lights.

:)

#13 ·
It is fuzzy, Ram used a lens on the projector that is not optically clear....and its purple to boot. LOL

#16 ·
That's funny.. since TYC got it right :p

My TYC quads should be in today.. then I'm gonna try to show a 3" projector in there

#17 ·
What projector?

Hoping........not an FXR.....I've seen some pics of those done, and its.....a hack at best. Mini D2S v3 will fit, though the round ones might give you some hassle.

#18 ·
Ya the mini d2S V3, yes round :p Originally I was going to put them in the wife's car and get mini D2S V2 for the Ram.. but I couldn't get her housings open, so I said screw it and did something else for her. I'm also putting in the OSRAM CBI bulbs. I have a single Mini D2S V2 in my bike with the standard morimoto 3five bulb and it performs better than all 4 bulbs on in the ram.

#19 ·
rounds might be fun!

I did a D2S v2 in a Ram once.......and as much as I FREAKING LOVE my CBIs, it might not fit behind the dust caps......I use D2H bulbs now for these, they are 1/2 shorter than D2S, and connect to a AMP ballast.

#20 ·
Grrr, I can't get my TYC's open. Well I've been trying on one. Did 5 min @ 200, the sealant wasn't even tacky... did 7min at about 250.. same thing. did 20min@ 200 barely tacky and I slightly damaged the bottom of the housing.. nothing major, just cosmetic.

I've read that they're using premaseal (spelling?) now which is more pita to work with? The housing just barely fits in my over (which is probably why I got the damage)

#22 ·
Ahh joy.. what would be safe to put the headlight on? just the rack is bad.. I did a towel at 200, but it umm started to smell....

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.