DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

window seal for rear sliding glass window

9K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  psycobilly64 
#1 ·
my 83 D-150 has one of those three piece rear sliding glass windows,, does anyone know,, is the window seal for these sliding glass units the same as the one used with the stock one piece glass?

#4 ·
I had an 85 standard cab, took the factory 1-piece glass out and replaced it with a slider. Re-used the same window seal, no problems.

#8 ·
I'll give taking it out a shot

I did find the OE part numbers

rear 4 piece glass and frame assy is a 3899790
and that required a
3494598 weatherstrip that is not available
4057107 retainer, that MoparPartsAmerica shows available online

the standard one piece window
requires
4160653 or 4160653 weatherstrip that is not available
4106862 or 4084911 retainer that MoparPartsAmerica shows available online

not sure what the difference is between the weatherstrip and the retainer.

#9 ·
Look close at the outside of the rubber gasket. In the center of the gasket ( Mopar calls the gasket a "weatherstrip") is a strip of rubber that may or may not be chrome-colored. It is the retainer. Do not take out the retainer, no need. Working from the inside, carefully pry out the lip of the gasket, at a corner (bottom corner works best for me). Spray some soapy water in the gap 'twixt the rubber and the pinchweld . pry out about 4 or 5 inches from each edge of the corner. Using gentle firm pressure, just push the window out (helps if there is someone standing in the bed...), all the while working around the rubber gasket, spraying the soapy water lube, and working the edge of the gasket out thru the window opening. Take your time, lots of soapy water lube. Push the window with the palm of your hand, don't whack it. It's actually very straight-forward.
Getting it back in is somewhat trickier.
Use a thin strong cord, set into the groove of the gasket that the pinchweld goes in. Have a helper ( in the bed) set the window down onto the lower edge of the pinchweld. The helper uses gentle pressure to "push" the window in place, as you work from the inside with the cord to pull the rubber gasket over the lip of the pinchweld. Lots of soapy water spray lube. It goes in quicker than it came out.

#10 ·
OK,
There is no lockstrip in the moldings that I stock, BUT!!!!!
As the post before me states, Use DAWN Dishwashing liquid for the slippery source.
BTW,,, PGW part numbers are,
DT1157 (72-85) back glass BE VERY CAREFUL It's only an 1/8" thick!
DB1129GTN (86-93) is a thicker glass but is the same size!
WBL1158 molding

FYI,
The DT1157 is the SAME glass that fits the FERD F-150 ! (92-96)

1 of these days, I'll put the part #'s on a How To List!

#13 ·
FYI,
The DT1157 is the SAME glass that fits the FERD F-150 ! (92-96)

1 of these days, I'll put the part #'s on a How To List!
So could I find a rear slider out of a Furd and put it in my 87? I have the one piece and want a slider since my ac don't work. Can't find any Dodges in the boneyards around where I live that has a slider that ain't broke:WHT:

#12 ·
Got the rear slider / seal out this evening,,
posts here were absolutely correct,, I just started prying the seal in, to the frame opening from the inside, when almost 1/2 way around the window frame just about fell out,, glad I had a helper holding it.

thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.