DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

05 GC, draining power steering fluid and tranny fluid?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  doobiess 
#1 ·
I used Auto-Rx in my tranny and power steering on my 2005 Grand Caravan. How do I completely drain the power steering fluid and the tranny. I'm guessing I could take the tranny lines loose on the little radiator looking lines on the bottom of the van. Anyone have a how-to listing on these for a DIY'er?

#2 ·
as for power steering.. this is how I did it on my pontiac Grand am... was pull the fuse for the fuel pump to kill it.. then start the van and run till it dies. Next was discconect the return line from the power steering( assuming its the same general setup) at the rack or steering gear.. have that line discconected and maybe a hose attached so its not so messy. Now go to turn the engine over it will cause the fluid to shoot out.. by pumping it all out.. once empty.. reinstall hose.. fill system.. reinstall fuse.. now start the engine.. remember it will growl at first but let it idle... But the fluid will be a murky color but let it idle and start to turn the wheel from left to right only half a turn or so each.. and re check fluid.. now turn 3/4 each and check fluid .. now turn all the way to the left and right make sure fluid is good and turn it both ways over and over until you see the fluid as clear.. so all the air is bled out.. and your done.

As for a tranny flush.. alot of times it isnt really recomended unless you have a proper machine for the job.. which is they connect one connection of the rad cooling line and 1 to the return line.. and machine flows fluid as it runs.. as a DIY'r dont try this.. just drain replace filter and replace.. but if you want the flush let a shop do it.. but just draining more than fine.. I wouldnt worry about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.