DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronic throttle body cleaning - be wary?

17K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  chizzle1 
#1 ·
Dealer wanted hundreds of dollars to clean the throttle body on my 2010 5.7 4x4. Said it was time and recommended. I asked if it was something I could do myself and they strongly warned against it, stating that the electronic modern throttle bodies are easily messed up if you don't know what you are doing. Any insights into this position?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Not needed and a waste of $$$. He just trying to separate your money from your wallet. At most I would dump a bottle of Techron in the tank. Techron is the only fuel additive Chrysler actually recommends. My '06 has ~223K miles and only once did I have fuel injection service (never again - a waste).

#3 ·
Techron is not going to do a damn thing for the coking that builds up on the backside of the throttle plate. From time-to-time, you need to remove the TB and give it a good cleaning with brake cleaner. It's not rocket science and there's a 'How To' just for that very project. The coking is caused by the unburned fuel and vapors after you shut down the engine. Do yourself a favor and stop adding stuff to the fuel. All the cleaning agents your engines fuel system needs is already in the fuel.

#6 ·
Where did I say I actually added it to my system? I only offered it as a suggestion. I have 224K miles on my '06 and have never need to clean the throttle plate.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Im assuming the TB are the same 3rd to 4th gen..maybe in a different location but still the same. When I did my old 05, easy peasy. Remove air intake, remove the plug in from the throttle body, remove the 4 bolts that hold it on, clean the butterfly valve (mostly the back of it and the back half of the throttle body but doesnt hurt to clean the whole thing). I recommend brake cleaner and a rag. Then reinstall, no need to take it to the dealer. I did mine at 60k and it was dirty but only did it because i had a misfire (bad spark plug) and just started with that. Literally takes an hour.

#8 ·
Bumping this old question. So since mine is a 2010, drive by wire electronic TB, do I have to worry about some of the warnings I see about DONT TOUCH or move the throttle plate butterfly valve on an electronic TB? Something about it messing with the computer? As long as I disconnect the battery negative cable any electrical computer issues dont matter right? Some of the videos also show cleaning the TB while still on the engine. Personally, would rather clean all that gunk off away from the intake. Again, as long as negative battery cable off I can safely remove the electronic TB on a 2010 Ram HEMI?

Any value replacing the IAC while doing a TB clean?

Thanks!

#9 ·
There is a calibration procedure for the throttlebody, on my challenger it's key on, full throttle and return within 10 seconds, then key off.
There is a throttle position sensor that reports the position of the throttle.
You aren't going to damage anything if you remove the negative cable, remove the throttlebody, clean it, and re-install.
I would suggest installing a catch can, most of the build up that occurs in the intake and throttlebody is due to the PCV and crankcase breather.
A catch can will help by separating some of the oil from the vapor getting recirculated into the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.