DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, just got 74 stepside

12K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  Acossey 
#1 ·
Hello all, just picked up this 74 stepside. It was buried in a garage for the last 20 years. We pulled it out today and tossed the camper shell that was on it. It has the 6 cylinder and appears all stock with about 90,000 miles. Lots of things to do on it so I will follow up with some more posts. I'm in southern CA area. I hope to get it running and driving for my 15 year old son to use next year.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
He is really excited. It's all new to him. We spent half the day Saturday degreasing and pressure washing. I just ordered a new used dash and glovebox. We paid 500.00 for the truck and I spent almost that much online today getting much needed parts. I figured that it would take about 1500-2000 to get road ready. I figure it needs the brakes gone over in addition to the engine and interior. So if we can get it done for around 2500 total I think the value of the truck would be about right. What do you think?

#6 ·
Honestly... The values aren't all that great for a used truck that is not primo condition. But it's way cheaper than a new truck and once you get it running reliability your son will have a ball with it. I'd focus on getting the mechanics - engine, brakes, bearings, etc. - squared away, then a cheap interior seat cover if needed and maybe a rolled on paint job (unless you can spray it) and let him have a cool truck.

On the to do list...Consider having the gas tank dropped and cleaned. The ethanol in modern gas will dissolve the old crud in the tank and clog the intake sock (filter) at the worse times. Be careful since the tank is plastic and hard to fix if you crack it. Check the gas gauge function b/c you might want to change the sender and/or the hoses while it is out (wish I had). Grady

#7 ·
Oops, missed the plastic gas tank thread. But cleaning it is still a good idea since the truck has been sitting a long time.

#8 ·
More pictures

Pulled off the radiator, fan and water pump. The radiator has a few leaks. Got it fixed for 30.00. The water pump was rotted out and the 1-1/2 fitting was completely closed off by dried up antifreeze. Flushed out the engine with a hose and some hot water. Mostly clean antifreeze came out and a few small chunks. I felt pretty good about that. My new harmonic balancer arrived today and I hope to get the old damaged one off soon. I'm going to pull the timing change cover and replace the seal and check the timing chain. Oh yea need a new t stat and housing.

Attachments

#12 ·
What is the pump housing made of? I ask because you might want to paint it to avoid rust forming on it. Can't tell from the picture.

#15 ·
You're so close -- did you decide not to check the timing chain? Good opportunity to clean and paint the cover and check the chain =)

+1 to Moparite on the freeze plugs especially!

#16 ·
The engine did have antifreeze in it when I flushed it out. The radiator was mostly Dry. I had it pressure tested and some small repairs done to it. Radiator guys says it will be ok until the truck is back on the road. I did not open the timing cover because I was afraid of dealing with resealing it. I did change out the front main seal. Turns out that my greenlee brand knock out set (electrical tool) has the same bolt as the crank. I selected the correct size knock out die and threaded the bolt into the crank until the seal was seated. It worked great. Got the dampener on and the fan back together with belt too. I had poured some diesel down each plug hole earlier in the day and by the time I did the balancer the engine was moving back and forth. I manually cranked the engine then moved on to using the starter. Everything spun freely. So Monday my missing parts from Rock Auto arrive and. Maybe I'll get a chance to attempt a start up.

#18 ·
Getting the carb rebuilt this week. The gas tank has been cleaned out. Boy! What a mess in there. Also had three small cracks on the top side of the tank. I used a soldering iron and closed them up. Got a new sending unit on the way so fingers crossed I'll be able to install the tank, carb and get her ideling independent of the 1 gallon gas can. Then I can do the valve adjustment drive it out the back door of the shop under its own power 20 years after it was parked. I won't be able to go far because the brakes are very soft. Almost no brake fluid in resivoir. Friend told
Me I should flush brake lines with denatured alcohol.

#19 ·
Got a couple thing done today.

Got the gas tank back in today. Also had a chance to work on burned out bulbs around the truck. Found the horn is not working but when I push the button I get a small chirp. When I apply power directly it honks fine. I'm thinking it may be a bad relay. Also found some replacement lenses for the both broken tail lights. Still waiting on carb rebuild. It had a bad choke pull so had to order one online. Also figured out where the oil pressure sending unit wire connected to. It was just hanging there.

Attachments

#22 ·
Great project and a lot of work done to it. Nice to see it running again. Not many of those out there.

#25 ·
Wonder if it might be something silly like a loose pickup tube that gets hit with the crankshaft and knocks but sometimes gets knocked out of the way?

I had a wicked knock on mine and realized that the tube needed to be turned just a touch farther to clear the crank.
Just a dumb idea, sometimes things that seem like big issues are just something silly.

#26 ·
I was thinking it sounded like the fan hitting something. I'd slacked up the belts one at a time and see if that helps (they probably need to be replaced anyway if you haven't). Or poke around (carefully) with a long screwdriver in your ear to see if you can localize it. Grady

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.