DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7L burning oil

9K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  pdpunome 
#1 ·
For the past 6 months my truck has been burning quite a bit of oil, I check my oil weekly and add new in. The truck smokes out of the exhaust on start up and take off, I belive its white smoke. Me and my dad changed the pcv valve like 2-3 months ago and the smoking stopped for like 2 weeks then came back. And I'm curious what it is, that is causing it to burn oil.

#2 ·
valve seals. you can aid not burning as much oil by doing the pcv tsb update which converts it to the 2007+ variariotion complete kit from dealer its cheap 60 or less and then add a oil catch can. i had the same on my 02 and it helped with burning the oil but does not eliminate the issue. valve seals are easy to do if you get the proper tool that is designed for the 4.7. I would say do a leak down test that will pinpoint. I aslo found if i ran mobile 1 synthetic it would burn it up way too fast like a quart within 500 miles so i used valvoline hm semi and it helped with consumption also used engine restorer addictive that helped and definitely boosted performance back up i was loosing from burning the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.