DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best headers for 318?

33K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  maachine 
#1 ·
So my truck has a 1970 318 with a mild cam intake and Holly 650? It already has a custom exhaust but for some reason no headers. Will I really be seeing any HP gains with headers?

#30 ·
It just seemed you where highly against headers period. If that's all someone is going to the i would agree it's not going to make a big difference but it's a good place to start. When i first got my truck it had a wiped cam(all stock) and would barley idol. It did have side pipes. (remember those?) Something you don't see anymore. The motor got rebuilt and all the excess cast iron(intake-exhaust manifolds) where history. That and all the other mods will definitely wake up a small block!

#32 · (Edited)
No big deal. I'm used to explaining my points. I was just trying to show the original poster the reasons why I believe headers aren't worth the money and effort unless the engine actually requires them.

It's all good! ;)

...my Jeep still has side-pipes, by the way... They're rotted out and I'm going to build a new system out the back (I'm going deaf and need to save what I have left)!

i've read the 92-93 318-360 manifolds flow nearly as well as headers
That's another good point that website made. Many modern-motors already have an exhaust manifold with header-like characteristics. Some manufacturers made factory headers as well (Jeep's High Output 4.0 I6, for example). I remember seeing either a late 80's lincoln MK7 or crown vic with cast iron headers, but maybe it was another smaller Ford v8 in a car (that was a loooong time ago). My old Chrysler Cirrus had a v6 with what seemed like a header-like manifold.

Sooo...adding an aftermarket header may not do anything at all to an engine with that feature already incorporated into the original design.

I will admit, a chrome header does look nice on just about any engine...

:D

#31 ·
i've read the 92-93 318-360 manifolds flow nearly as well as headers

#33 ·
ya newer engines they definitely started tuning better. thats because customers wanted better products, not only that but with the introduction of fuel injection, emission laws, and fuel consumption......manufacturers had to start looking into the aftermarket design and adding them into their products as standard equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.