DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MYoung84's 2012 Power Wagon Build Thread

167K views 539 replies 89 participants last post by  myoung84 
#1 · (Edited)
I am starting this thread to document my Power Wagon build. I will keep this thread up to date with all my mods rather than have numerous separate threads. To get started, here is what it looked like the day I drove it home. I swapped out my HID projector lights from my old truck at the dealer, as well as my short antenna.

Here are the added options on the truck from the window sticker:
  • Power Premium Cloth Bench Seat
  • Luxury Group
  • Technology Group
  • Power Sunroof
  • Remote Start
  • Security Alarm
  • Power Adjustable Pedals
  • Spray in Bedliner
  • Trailer Tow Mirrors
  • Engine Block Heater (Not sure why this was added on a truck in Dallas...)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here are pics of the projector headlights from the old truck and a pic of how I attached the winch hook. Also, a pic of my Husky WeatherBeater floor mats taken from the old truck as well. The mud is from my first offroad trip. Nothing special, just an old muddy dirt road. Got to put it in 4L and try out the lockers. I was able to lock the rear after a minute but the front never would lock. I will have to play with it later. I also installed my Bestop PowerBoards yesterday from the old truck. I won't be doing any hard core offroading so I shouldn't bash these up. The frame rails also hand a little lower than the steps when folded up so they should be fine.

#3 ·
Got the exhaust done and the windows tinted yesterday. Went with a Magnaflow 14" muffler with 3" I/O and dumped it after the rear axle. It sounds awesome but not obnoxious in the cab. Window tint is 15% on the two front windows and a 5% strip on the windshield.

#4 ·
I have also ordered a RollBak retractable bed cover that should be here this week as well as bed lighting like I had on the old truck. The Pioneer stereo and Alpine Amp and 10" sub from the old truck will also be going in soon.

#5 ·
And just for fun, here is my rendering of what I eventually want it to look like. I had planned to remove the red stripe, but I actually like it now that I have seen it in person...

#7 ·
This one has the Alpine stereo, so I am going to add the sub and leave the rest as-is and see how it sounds. I will probably replace the speakers eventually but probably won't put my 4 channel amp on the door speakers.

#9 ·
The truck is coming along very nicely! I look forward to seeing what else you do with this. It’s time somebody else mod their Power Wagon- mine was starting to get expensive!

#10 ·
I'm not going to go crazy with it since it's already a bad ass truck, but it's going to see some mods. Suspension will remain mostly stock for the next few years at least. Maybe a 2" front lift to level it out and 35's when these BFG's wear down a little. It will be nice to compare our trucks in a couple years since they started out nearly identical.

#11 ·
#14 ·
It's highly contagious!

#15 ·
:worthy: ..... That dude's Power Wagon is the ONE!!!! Freaking SWEET for sure! I love the pop up camper and the front bumper and the lift and the tires and the suspension and the lighting and the places that he goes!!!!! LOL

BAD A$$ for sure! Get to work men! You got allot of BUYING and installing to do :D

#17 ·
LOL- Aren't you supposed to be joining us in the Power Wagon world soon? You can get the Carli setup and let us know what you think. :D

myoung84- your truck is comming along great. I look forward to seeing your stereo install when you get time.

#16 ·
Billet Technologies oil catch can has been installed. This was removed from the old truck, just had to get some new hose since the original hose was left on the old truck...

#18 ·
Got the stereo installed this weekend. This was all removed from the old truck. Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD headunit, Alpine MRP-M500 mono amp, Alpine Type R 10" sub, and backup camera.

Overall, I am pleased with the sound, for now. It needs new speakers throughout but for now it will work. The stock Alpine system sounds better with a new headunit than it did stock, but it's not what I would consider "great" sounding. Also, I am getting an annoying speaker pop on startup every once in a while. (maybe 1 in 5 times?). I will eventually fix that by replacing the 6 main speakers and adding my 4 channel Alpine amp that I already have. Biggest hurdle will be deciding what to do with the other 3 speakers (center dash and rear headliner speakers). The center will most likely be scrapped and the rear headliner speakers will either be driven off the headunit or possibly scrapped as well...

This is why I didn't want the Alpine "upgrade", if you can call it that. But, you are forced to get the technology group to get the sunroof... All it is to me is an Alpine badge on the dash, which will eventually all be replaced with "real" Alpine equipment.

#19 ·
Looks good man!

#20 ·
I dont have a power wagon ,i am subscribing to this because of the poster his installs are always very good ,takes his time and has a lot of good ideas, look at his other truck posts. Great work so far, we are watching :rck:

#21 ·
Thanks for the kind words! I definitely take pride in my installs! Keep checking for many exciting changes this year!

#22 ·
Very nice! Does the new head unit keep the factory U-Connect?

#23 ·
No, I lost the U-connect, but I didn't want it anyways.

#24 ·
If you decide you want to get rid of the U-connect module, let me know. :cool:

#25 ·
Where is the connect module?

#26 ·
I don't really know, I have heard it is tied up to a dash support behind the glove box somewhere. I an not even sure how it connects to the radio, but I know you can add it to the non-U-connect trucks as long as their factory radios have the buttons (mine does). I am not even sure what they go for, I was just thinking out loud (or with my fingers, I guess).

#28 ·
I looked on eBay and the kits go for about $250-275. PM me an offer I can't refuse and it just might be yours! I want to replace all my speakers and this would make it a little easier...

Does that stock backup camera work your your aftermarket pioneer?
That's not the stock backup camera, it's a cheap camera I got from Amazon and mounted in the tailgate handle. I'm sure you could probably figure out how to integrate the stock camera with an aftermarket headunit...

#27 ·
Does that stock backup camera work your your aftermarket pioneer?

#30 ·
this is cracking me up....i come from an era where trucks came with AM radio only. i'ld go in and put a Soundesign from Kmart in with AM/FM cassette with a booster/equilizer and i was livin on top of the world! is aftermarket equipment that much better than top of line stock audio equipment? to me stock equipment has come along way and people don't steal that stuff.

Mike

#32 ·
Yes, the "Top of the Line" stereo sucks, IMO. They call it an Alpine system but there isn't one Alpine component in the truck, they even use cheap paper speakers... I have a 2010 Impala company car and the cheap stereo in that car sounds better than my "Alpine upgrade." For what you pay for the "upgrade" you should be getting a lot better system.

#31 ·
No problem. I will probably go ahead and take it out soon anyways.

I just placed an order for 4 Alpine 6x9 speakers for the doors and 2 Kicker speakers for the dash. I already have a 4 channel amp for the door speakers, this will be very similar to my old truck which sounded great. I am not at all impressed with the Alpine system, so it's getting completely nuked. The center channel speaker and rear headliner speakers will be abandoned...

#34 ·
The Shaker 500 system that was in my wife's 09 Mustang actually sound pretty good as well. It had a couple of 8's in the doors in a ported enclosure.

The "Kicker" system in her Charger is better than my "Alpine" system, but still leaves a lot to be desired. At least they use an actual 12" Kicker sub, even though it's a cheaper low power version.

#35 ·
"Upgraded stereo systems" is an area that REALLY makes $$$$$. The maker buys in such volume. You guys are right, for what they cost, we should be getting a LOT more for our money. Most also make them so if something goes bad, you HAVE to go back to dealer, because nobody carries those particular components. Or replace the entire system.

#36 ·
What really pisses me off more than anything is I had to pay an extra $495 to get the "Technology Group" so I could get a sunroof. I really didn't want the upgraded stereo nor the park assist crap, but whatever... Basically for me, I paid an additional $1345 just for the sunroof option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.