DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remote start issues

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  bucci 
#1 ·
2014 Ram Crew Bighorn purchased new in November.
Random failures of remote start. Horn beeps twice and nothing happens, no attempt to start but dash cluster reads Remote Start Active Key to run.
If you open door dash changes to Remote Start Cancelled DOOR Open.

Customer service and Dealer have been unable to repair even after multiple stays at dealership for multiple days.

Looking for help and ideas what I can do next

#4 ·
Is your low fuel light on? Remote start is disabled if ANY light is on in the dash including ETC, CEL or low fuel.

#5 ·
No codes , fuel is rarely below half tank, no lights . When I remote start if you look in the window the dash looks the exact same on a good remote start and a failed remote start, but if you open the door the dash message changes to REMOTE START CANCELLED DOOR OPEN on the failed remote start.

Is there a place to go after you have exhausted dealer and customer service. I can barely get them to call me back?

#7 ·
Another week with no response from Ram on my ongoing Remote Start problem. I think they just want me to go away, but that won't happen.

I don't know where else to go so I am thinking of filing a Lemon Law case.
My thinking is if Ram can't fix it, it is an obvious defective vehicle.

#9 ·
They replace the body control module on their first attempt to fix it.

Since then they check for codes, of which there are none and give it back to me telling me that they are researching the problem.

The problem is intermittent so I know it hard to find but they have seen it fail and they admit something is wrong.

I get the impression the shop mechanics are incapable of trouble shooting. First they go the computer and if that does not tell them what is wrong they call a field tech (so called expert) and ask what to do. If he does not know they give me back the truck and tell me they are researching it.

#10 ·
Tell them to check the wiring harness plug down by the drivers side kick panel. Lots of people have had all kinds of ghost problems and it ends up being that main harness plug isn't in all the way. Its worth a shot.

#11 ·
Thanks,I will mention the plug. I can't help wonder if anything I say or suggest ever gets back to the actual guy doing the work. You talk to the counter guy who fills out a ticket, he hands it off to the service manager who eventually hands it to a mechanic. Now I make it a habit to leave a description of the problem and suggestions in the truck so the mechanic knows all the details.

Since the beginning I have been asking about the change from REMOTE START ACTIVE KEY TO RUN to REMOTE START CANCELLED DOOR OPEN when I try to get into the truck.
What brings up the REMOTE START CANCELLED DOOR OPEN, obviously you have to able to open the door following a remote start. It never cancels on a successful remote start but always when there is a unsuccessful remote start.

#13 ·
Yellowhemi, does your horn sound twice? does your dash say REMOTE START ACTIVE KEY TO RUN and does it change to REMOTE START CANCELLED DOOR OPEN if you open the front door?

That is my exact sequence and I don't think I am too quick with the key FOB, but thanks I will push slower and see if there is a difference.

#15 ·
I have tried to use two slow distinct clicks on the Fob but I still get failure about 30% of the time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am getting to an end point, the Dealer will no longer even return my calls and Customer Service does not even have an idea what to next.

#18 ·
Dodge thinks they figured it out. I have the 8 speed electronic transmission with the round knob on the dash. When I got the truck I was told just turn the key off and the shifter will go to park automatically its all electronic. I followed the dealers instructions sometimes and when I let it go to park automatically the auto start will not function on the next attempt to start. Return it to park manually and auto start works perfect.

My owners manual never mentions this feature, and four trip to a dealer and they never knew it. It was not until I changed dealers which Ram did not want me to do that the new dealer who referred to a STAR notice recognized the issue.

Speaking of the owner manual it stinks, does not include my engine transmission combination (5.7 hemi/ 8 speed) does not mention EOC features, does not mention the small blinking security light in the speedometer, no discussion of all the messages that you might get on the dash. Just poor!!!

#22 ·
The above post is what should happen along with a reminder on the display to put it in park

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.