DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Factory Power Wagon Wheels Info

6K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Txhillbilly 
#1 ·
I wanted to change the appearance of my 2015 Power Wagon a little bit by getting the factory rims powder-coated...
After much research and differing opinions (about a 50/50 split for and against), I contacted ALCOA, who makes our rims, and this was the official statement...

"We do not recommend powder coating the wheels. This will raise the temperature of the wheels and change the granular structure and make the wheels more susceptible to cracks. If you have any questions let me know."

Sr. Quality Technician
Alcoa Wheel & Transportation Products
3320 Gilchrist Rd.
Mogadore, OH 44260 USA

So, I thought I would post it up with no personal opinion one way or the other, so that anyone thinking of doing the same will have this info easily accessible on the site.

I will say this... After doing much wheel research, the rims that the factory puts on the Power Wagon are about the best that money can buy.
ALCOA makes all the SRT rims and rims for Lamborghini and many other high performance autos.
Our rims have an extra internal machined edge that helps grip the bead when running at low PSI off road.

For shits and giggles, give your local dealer a call and price out a set of stock Power Wagon wheels. You will get one hell of a surprise.

Soooo... That being said, where the Hell did I put that PlastiDip?

See less See more
#2 ·
No personal experience here, but I know of a few people who have plastidipped their wheels. Looks good, plus if it messes up, just peel it off. Woo hoo. Anyway, go for it I say.
I might to mine when I get new tires, that way I won't have to tape off the wheels, haha.

#3 ·
Im no engineer, rocket scientist, microbiologist or gynecologist but I sure as hell wouldn't think that plasti-dipping, painting or powdercoating the wheels would really hurt anything. I would have at it if that is the look I was after.

Personally, I think those new wheels look badass the way they are, but everyone has an opinion.

#4 ·
Here in Canada, it's $29000 for 1 wheel.

#5 ·
I never would of thought it would be a problem. Just did some Googling and it's true, or at least the internet says it is. Wow...

Plastidip is a good idea though. I've had mine done for about 6 months and they are holding up great. I think a couple heavy coats of glossifier is the key though. I had the standard flat black on my Power Wagon for a short time and the first time they got really dirty, I had to peel the PD off because it was uncleanable...

Check out DipYourCar.com for more color options... I've got the Anthracite on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.