Lamin X Install - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM
JonRoc
Creature Of The Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lamin X Install

A few pointers & tips...

If you buy lamin x, get a professional to install it. Its not as easy as the 3-4 min lamin x video suggests. That guy must have installed it on tons of vehicles & been doing it for a long time. What I got from the video & instructions is its basically like installing a decal using the wet method. Basically clean the tailights, spray a little water on the decal or the tails. Then apply & squeegee the bubbles out. I can put a small decal on in like 10-15 mins tops.

I tried & its not as simple as that. Its a lot thicker than a decal. And its less forgiving. If you have any curves it will be a little harder. I'd recommend a professional. I tried one side for about 30 mins & had no luck. I just couldn't figure out how to get it bubble & crease free around the curve of the taillights. I tried just a little water at first like the instructions said & that didn't work so I then tried & plastered it with water so I could maybe move it around more & that didn't work.

There must be a technique to it. Its thick, not too pricey & I'm sure would last for years & look good, but I had to abandon ship...lol It looked simple but maybe I'm stupid..lol I have put on numerous decals, like bed stripes on my black 99 that I had, hood spears on my 07, a tailgate decal on my 07 that ran the width of my tailgate, a few back window decals, etc...I figured if I can put a decal on I could put this on.

I got one side left, i'm sure the other side is ruined with all the on & off I had to do to try to line it up. Maybe I'll try that one side again another day & if it works maybe order another set. But I may just leave it be & maybe get some diff taillights that are darker next tax returns time.

"Code Red" 07 Ram RC 2/4.5 2WD 4.7

Installed or Soon To Be:
McGaughys Deluxe 2/4.5-OEM SRT10 Hood-TMD Bumper Cover-EFX Rollpan-GrillCraft MX Grille-08 Intake Manifold
Stock Chrome 20s-Flame Red Heads-SC3865 w/ Trans Upgrade-Airaid CAI-70mm TB-MF YPipe-Jet 180 Tstat
DMH ECutout-Jet Stream Scoop-SRT10 Wing-15% Tint-Nuvi 50LM-Cree 9W Rev LEDs-Radio Bez Painted Red
SiriusXM Radio-NS'ed Sonar Smoked LED Tails & Recon 3rd-Hawk HPS Pads-Belltech Street Shocks
Red LEDs In Grille-Tailgate Bar-PW-6" Stubbie-BT Emblem-Mopar Batt Shield-Bosch Icon Blades-3W Int LEDs
Going To Buy Someday:
Matte Black Hood Stripe & Roof Wrap-Alpine Sys-Aeon Bump Stops
Gibson Shorties GP316S-BT Int Pieces-CF Mirror Covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Maybe a heat gun?

Any pics?

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

#3 Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Graygoose

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used Lamin-X on fogs, but tails, I had Retroshop do, and they turned out amazing.
#4 Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I had to look it up. Never heard of it..

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

#5 Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM
JonRoc
Creature Of The Wheel

(Thread Starter)
It was a good price, looked like quality stuff & the purchase was a smooth transaction & shipped fine. So I have nothing bad to say about who I bought it from. All good on their end. Just wanted to clear that up. I was just in a kinda p*ssed off mood when I wrote that...after what I thought would be easy wasn't.

But maybe I should have never attempted it. I thought since I had done numerous (several much bigger than the size of taillights) decals before & from what I could tell from numerous youtube videos & the instructions that install was very similar to the decal "wet method" that I could do this.

Maybe it was harder to get the creases & bubbles out cause of the thickness & what its made out of...dunno.

It seems like something straight with no curves would be very easy. Maybe I should have used a heat gun, I never had to do that with decals so I figured I wouldn't with this either.

With the decals I'd have like 5-10 mins to move it around but i guess with the material, thickness or the adhesive on it...you have mere seconds to get it right. Even with a lot of water on it (I tried very little water at first) I didn't have hardly any time to move it before it stuck.

Installed or Soon To Be:
McGaughys Deluxe 2/4.5-OEM SRT10 Hood-TMD Bumper Cover-EFX Rollpan-GrillCraft MX Grille-08 Intake Manifold
Stock Chrome 20s-Flame Red Heads-SC3865 w/ Trans Upgrade-Airaid CAI-70mm TB-MF YPipe-Jet 180 Tstat
DMH ECutout-Jet Stream Scoop-SRT10 Wing-15% Tint-Nuvi 50LM-Cree 9W Rev LEDs-Radio Bez Painted Red
SiriusXM Radio-NS'ed Sonar Smoked LED Tails & Recon 3rd-Hawk HPS Pads-Belltech Street Shocks
Red LEDs In Grille-Tailgate Bar-PW-6" Stubbie-BT Emblem-Mopar Batt Shield-Bosch Icon Blades-3W Int LEDs
Going To Buy Someday:
#6 Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 PM
HemiSLT

Did you put a little soap in the water? The soap makes it much more slippery and easier to deal with. Make sure you work from the middle out. I have never had a problem doing it that way. Good luck! I hope you get it.
#7 Old 02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
JonRoc
Creature Of The Wheel

(Thread Starter)
I was gonna do a little soap & use the wet method like how I do my decals...but the instructions didn't mention using any soap. It said to use only water, preferably filtered water. I think that part was even bolded. So I just tried it with water. Instructions said to use a very light mist of water "just a spray or 2". I tried that and within seconds the adhesive held on to my taillight. Then I drenched it in water hoping that would buy me a little more time to move it...but it really didn't. That adhesive is so tacky/strong I guess. Its pretty much you have to get it lined up perfect the first time, then I'd get half the creases & bubbles out to find out it was off a few centimeters on the other side (where it wasn't covering the whole light)...so I'd have to pull it off again. After doing that numerous times I'm pretty sure the stickiness of the adhesive was shot & probably had fingerprints & dust all on it.

Did you install some lamin x & use the wet method with some soap? I usually use some dawn, but not much of it.

Installed or Soon To Be:
Going To Buy Someday:
#8 Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Sinister1JP
Serial Thrilla

I did my headlights, fog lights and Hellas behind the grill before I painted my headlights. I can't find any pics with this set up though. It is way thicker than a decal and if I remember correctly my lamin-X order came with a concoction in a spray bottle for installation. You can get a peek of the fogs here and I do remember the head lights being a PITA!
2007-dodge-ram-1500-2.jpg

2011 Ram 1500 4wd
#9 Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
JonRoc
Creature Of The Wheel

(Thread Starter)
Yeah its really thick, much thicker than a decal. Mine came with a bottle about the size of a stick of chapstick. Mine didn't have liquid in it. I used filtered water like the instructions said.

Installed or Soon To Be:
Going To Buy Someday:
#10 Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM
sunburst08

lamin x

yea the stuff in the bottle is not for installing, it's to keep them pliable so they don't become brittle. had some on the wife's car for over 4yrs now. did the dry fit but there is very little curves to worry about.

Orange truck club #9
don't touch my truck club member #48
08 sunburst orange QC hemi 2wd
#11 Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 PM
btg0002
War Eagle!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just got mine on when we last talked about ti JonRoc and it was crazy hard, but I just kept at it with a squeegie and a water bottle and finally got it on the tails and 3rd, but I would honestly never do it myself again as it was the most annoying and time consuming thing I have done to the truck lol

TRUCK: 2007 RC/SB 1500 ST with the 3.7 v6
PERFORMANCE: l jba shortie headers l hypertech max power programmer l Jet 180 tstat l e3 spark plugs l K&N CAI l magnaflow cat back dual exhaust l fastman ported TB l RP engine oil and rear diff fluid l bluetooth ODBII adapter for Torque app l
SUSPENSION: l 3 inch lift spindles l 2 inch coil spacer l bilstein 4600 shocks front l monroe load leveling shocks rear l TGC 1.5" rear lift blocks l 5" total lift front, 2.5" total lift rear l
APPEARANCE: l rhino lined bed l tonnomax tri fold bed cover l bed lined fender flares, rockers, bumpers l big mouth rivet grille l led tail lights l lamin-x tails and 3rd l led everything l HID heads and fogs l HID reverse lights l led reverse flood lights l debadged l hood spears l tinted windows l audio system l black headlights l black billet 15" stubby antenna l daytona tail light covers l
WHEELS/TIRES:l 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler l OEM 17s plastidipped black l
#12 Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
JonRoc
Creature Of The Wheel

(Thread Starter)
I was fuming mad...lol I'm glad to know I'm at least not the only one that had a hard time. About how long did it take you to put them all on? Do you still have the rocket style or the smooth tails? What color did you go with?

Installed or Soon To Be:
Going To Buy Someday:
#13 Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
btg0002
War Eagle!

I have the recon led tails off ebay. I went with the gunsmoke I think (whichever is the med-dark) and I started at 5:30 on a friday night a few weeks back and finished at about 11pm lol

PERFORMANCE: l jba shortie headers l hypertech max power programmer l Jet 180 tstat l e3 spark plugs l K&N CAI l magnaflow cat back dual exhaust l fastman ported TB l RP engine oil and rear diff fluid l bluetooth ODBII adapter for Torque app l
SUSPENSION: l 3 inch lift spindles l 2 inch coil spacer l bilstein 4600 shocks front l monroe load leveling shocks rear l TGC 1.5" rear lift blocks l 5" total lift front, 2.5" total lift rear l
APPEARANCE: l rhino lined bed l tonnomax tri fold bed cover l bed lined fender flares, rockers, bumpers l big mouth rivet grille l led tail lights l lamin-x tails and 3rd l led everything l HID heads and fogs l HID reverse lights l led reverse flood lights l debadged l hood spears l tinted windows l audio system l black headlights l black billet 15" stubby antenna l daytona tail light covers l
#14 Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Sinister1JP
Serial Thrilla

1 more thing, I remember a ton of adhesive left on my fogs and Hellas when I pulled them off after running my HIDS in both.

2011 Ram 1500 4wd
#15 Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
JonRoc
Creature Of The Wheel

(Thread Starter)
Jumping jesus...that's like half a day...lol Mine were Gunsmoke as well, even for the med they looked pretty dark. I got the Sonar (recon knockoff) LED tails so we may have the same style tails.

I may just leave as is & just order some new tails later in the yr.

The how to videos on youtube are like 5 mins or less long...certainly a pro or some time lapse going on.

Installed or Soon To Be:
Going To Buy Someday:
#16 Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
cbrenn71
Hummer Recovery Vehicle

Hey, sorry to hear of the issues you had. I know you were looking forward to the results. If youd like, you can send I the tail that didn't turn out, pm me and we can discuss ways of making sure you're satisfied. I'll even install it for free for you.

UNIQUE COATINGS - Sponsor as of 4/9/06

GARAGE SALE!!! Great Prices on New, Used Retrofit Parts and Accessories
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&threadid=358141

PROJECTOR RETROFITS STARTING AT $195!!!!!

WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD ON HID & RETROFIT PARTS AND SERVICES!!!!! GUARANTEED.
#17 Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM
btg0002
War Eagle!

now THAT's customer service! I'll grab some photos of mine installed tonight as I don't have any with the lamin-x on the truck yet

#18 Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
JonRoc
Creature Of The Wheel

(Thread Starter)
Well I threw away the one side, cause of taking it on & off so many times & squeegeeing it so much I figured the adhesive was probably shot & probably had a lot of scratches on it. I still got one side left, thought I may try that again in a few days if it ever warms up again. I would consider sending you the tails to do it but its my only vehicle & only set of tails I have.

Installed or Soon To Be:
Going To Buy Someday:
#19 Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
cbrenn71
Hummer Recovery Vehicle

ok, well, i have bulk film as well, if it would help you with your install and alignment. pm me if interested in that, i'll give you a discount due to the issues you had.

one think you mentioned that stuck out was you sprayed the film just a few times. don't be afraid to spray it liberally, but don't use soap. you want the more pure water possible (DI works best, but if you dont have that, then filtered water is a good choice too). Also, you should use a hair dryer or heat gun to help with positioning it, stretching it, and helping to get rid of bubbles. Don't get too hung up on small imperfections or small water bubbles. The film will breathe and they will disappear over time.

UNIQUE COATINGS - Sponsor as of 4/9/06

GARAGE SALE!!! Great Prices on New, Used Retrofit Parts and Accessories
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&threadid=358141

PROJECTOR RETROFITS STARTING AT $195!!!!!

WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD ON HID & RETROFIT PARTS AND SERVICES!!!!! GUARANTEED.
#20 Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 PM
JonRoc
Creature Of The Wheel

(Thread Starter)
I first used a little water like the instructions said, then I wet her down pretty good. I didn't use any soap. I might try the other side one of these days.

That would be cool, I'd like to see how dark they are.

I dunno if a half a day install & all that trouble would be worth it if its gonna be too dark that I'll get pulled over...I might as well just get some darker ebay tails one of these days.

Installed or Soon To Be:
Going To Buy Someday:
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.