Which Muffler is best??? - Page 18 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM Performance Talk

View Poll Results: What would work best for my situation
Magnaflow 197 47.93%
Flowmaster 89 21.65%
Borla 56 13.63%
Other (name it) 47 11.44%
Cheese packed muffler 22 5.35%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Gopackgo69

Posted: 08-22-2012, 08:20 AM
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son View Post
Velocity is only one factor in the overall performance of a vehicle. Any exhaust system is a compromise because a vehicle that is driven in different situations has a wide variety of performance needs at varying RPMs. There has to be a tradeoff somewhere because no system would work perfectly throughout the RPM range that we drive our trucks. Velocity has more importance to the driver who regularly operates in the higher RPM ranges for extended periods. Back-pressure and scavenging are more important to the rock crawler and traffic creeper who want low-end torque. Most of us want something that falls in between. Not too much velocity that lower end response is flat and not too much back-pressure that high-RPM running feels laggy. Personally, when I look at dyno charts I'm looking more at the torque curves and where they are rather than peak HP numbers. Those will tell you more about overall driveability than a peak HP rating that is above 5000 RPM.
I agree with the previous post 100%
Advertisement

blackhd

Posted: 09-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Blackhd
City: Labelle
State: FL
Post #342

i have borla..and to me it sounds perfect
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

rambamodam

Posted: 10-19-2012, 01:38 AM
State: TX
Post #343

I've got an 18 inch Maganflow muffler on my 1500 sport, but was wanting to get it louder, should I go with a straight pipe?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

mikeb33

Posted: 10-19-2012, 06:28 AM
City: Barrington
State: IL
Post #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambamodam View Post
I've got an 18 inch Maganflow muffler on my 1500 sport, but was wanting to get it louder, should I go with a straight pipe?
Do you have a modified Y-pipe yet? Are you planning on headers? I would do those things first, if you intend to. No muffler sounds very raw and raspy to me, but some people like it.

jwiebers

Posted: 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM
State: CO
Post #345

I loved the sound of my Flowmaster super 40 true dual system on one of my previous chevy's, also like the magnaflow I had on a couple fords. Still up in the air about which way to go with this one. Leaning towards the flowmaster

SmokinMirror

Posted: 10-25-2012, 11:38 PM
m@n !$ oBs0Le+e
City: Phoenix
Post #346

Every customer that ever had Flowmasters and actually "dynod" the truck took them back off.

jwiebers

Posted: 10-29-2012, 10:50 PM
State: CO
Post #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinMirror View Post
Every customer that ever had Flowmasters and actually "dynod" the truck took them back off.
So you're saying the stock junk will outflow a 2 chamber flowmaster? I could maybe see that with a 3 chamber, but have a hard time believing it with a 2 chamber. I could be wrong though.....

hounddogg

Posted: 10-30-2012, 06:35 AM
State: GA
Post #348

Dunno about these trucks and Flowmasters but I had couple techs with hot rods,440 automatic Challenger, Duster with built 360,automatic that both turn FASTER times with mufflers(Flowmasters) hooked up then straight through the open headers.
2009 Quad Cab SLT White,Hemi,2WD,20 inch wheels,3.92 gear.2003 Quad Dually 4x4,6 speed,4.10 gears,diesel.Banks 4 inch exhaust,Afe Pro Guard filter,Rottech crank sensor mod.Amsoil fliuds front to back.08 Corvette Convertible.

Duster72

Posted: 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM
State: IN
Post #349

I just installed the Magnaflow Y-Pipe and AT3030XL. Kept the cats and resonators. For me, it's perfect. Sounds awesome and throaty when you start it up and sounds mean during low RPM city driving under 2K. Once you get over 2K on the interstate it mellows out and has zero drone. When MDS kicks in it's really nice and quiet. Punch it and it roars to life.

firedad70

maggy 14" - Posted: 02-04-2013, 04:31 PM
City: Russell, KY
State: KY
View This User's Gallery
Post #350

Like most I was very up in the air on which muffler to go with, so many to choose. Have 09 sport with hemi, wanted it to sound like it should. Went with magnaflow 14", was worried at first going that small I would be that guy that the neighbors hated. Was really concerned with having drone. Have had it on for 2 weeks and loving it, very mellow around town but sounds amazing at WOT. Took first highway trip this last weekend, anywhere between 65 and 80 speed wise, no drone what so ever. Had mother in truck with me and could have conversation no problem at all. Have read complaints about sounding bad in gas saver mode but haven't noticed anything like that with mine. Left resonaters on so not sure if thats where they are having that issue.

mydak

Posted: 02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
City: Chesapeake, VA
Post #351

Have had my mufflex 14 for two years. Still love it.
Mods "a la moi": Ram Air hood, 4/5 drop, 22" Boss 334s, Staggered tires, Speedster tonneau, bedrug, TRX Grill shell, Debadged, Limo tint (even sunroof), custom painted: Rims, headlights, interior, grill emblem, engine cover, windshied emblem, and lots to come

4TH GEN TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #07
ORANGE TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #17
QUADCAB TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #77
MILITARY TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #107

prod646

Question  Posted: 02-09-2013, 02:30 AM
State: TN
Post #352

So which muffler is best? Looking at a Magnaflow 14 inch, but wondering between the SI/DO or the DI/DO. Performance wise which is best?

Madman92

Magnaflow - Posted: 02-10-2013, 02:37 AM
2003 dodge ram 1500
State: PA
Post #353

I have a 4.7 magnum with single 3 inch magnaflow it sounds great is a loud deep roar then dies down to a nice soft rumble aroun 50 mph also gives it a nice little rumble wile idling however not to loud you are still able to talk to you buddy with out having to scream and a in all 70 bucks go the muffler and install and all the pipe ended in a total of 105 bucks not to bad when you hear it

BigHorn 4 Life

Posted: 02-10-2013, 03:30 AM
City: Blue Springs
State: MO
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #354

I have the 14" magnaflow snd love it. Go get you one.

Talon_66

Posted: 06-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Anti-Chrome
City: Edmonton
State: AB
Post #355

Any 4th gens running Spintech?
Debating on switching from die hard Aero turbine fan to something different
Past: White 2008 Evo X GSR - 400ish AWHP, and tonnes of mods
Past: Titanium Grey 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

esmitty82

Posted: 08-17-2013, 10:13 PM
City: Memphis!
Post #356

Has anyone seen the latest issue of Truckin Magazine? In it the have a Dodge article with a muffler swap and use the latest offering from Flo Pro. It is HUGE! Looks to be the same size but I would think it would be perfect for someone who is looking for a relatively quiet muffler?

260 comp cam, Cherry Bomb Elite Muffler SI/DO, and true flow intake
lowered 2/4, 4.10 gears
HEMIFEVER TUNED

Daytona4u

Posted: 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM
RAMRT1
City: Oakdale, La
State: LA
Post #357

I have had Borla, a couple magnaflows, a 40 series flowmaster, and a super 44 flowmaster. I loved the borla but it was just to quiet, just above stock. I have a 14''inch magnaflow now and it sounds great as usual. The guys are right about flowmaster though, great sound, but not the best for performance. Just ask Matt at Moe's performance and he will be completely honest with you, he will only sale products that work on his site, you will never see a flowmaster muffler, or exhaust anywhere on his site. Baffles are a restriction, and the point of us installing performance mufflers and exhausts is to get rid of all the restictions that were installed by the manufractures. Hope this helps?

OlPal

Posted: 08-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Post #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotaking View Post
i just installed a 14" magnaflow,and i dont know who rated it a 9 out of 10 but its more like a 4-5 out of 10.glad i didn't spend $300

Magna Flow, flows real well...
Are you just wanting the LOUD sound ??
How's the performance ??

OlPal

Posted: 08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Post #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddogg View Post
If its a stock engine and you just want more noise,like I did I don't think it makes a hill of beans. I have a Magnaflow but mainly because the muffler shop I used was a Magnaflow dealer. Now if hunting horsepower I could see getting into flow and baffles and such. Otherwise go with what you think your going to like. Sound clips don't give a real world noise to me.

You did real Good HoundDog, [Clip ??] Definitely stay with the Magnaflow for H.P. & Nice Mellow Sound with little to no drone!

That's my plan also, to order the 18" 12288 Magnaflow & have our local Pro Muffler Guy with a Lift & Equipment make up the 2 little pipes.

esmitty82

Posted: 08-24-2013, 12:06 AM
City: Memphis!
Post #360

Not sure where this stands with other mufflers but if you look on FloPro's website it says the stock OEM muffler flows 940 CFM? Is that right? Wouldn't that be way ahead of most other mufflers?

260 comp cam, Cherry Bomb Elite Muffler SI/DO, and true flow intake
lowered 2/4, 4.10 gears
HEMIFEVER TUNED