Higher RPMs in town - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM
iwin
CTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Higher RPMs in town

I read on another forum about folks running their CTD's around town using the manual gear selector to limit their top gear and keep in higher RPM's.

Personally, I use tow/haul mode when running around town. Since I've never had the option of limiting my gear range before, what's your take on this? Do you do this for short trips or city driving? Would it help more for stock trucks as opposed to those with deletes?

2011 2500 CTD CC 4x4
Carli/Thuren Suspended on 37's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
SlimTex

I have the H&S Overdrive tune which helps keep the RPM's up so the engine isn't lugging. Also reduces a lot of unnecessary shifting. On top of that, I have the gear selector set on 4 or 5, depending on which speeds I'm driving at.

2011 2500 CCSB Cummins tuned by H&S, sprung by Carli, rolling on Toyo's.
#3 Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM
iwin
CTD

(Thread Starter)
I've been doing a lot more experimenting, and 4 seems to be my go to as far as using the ERS. Where are your RPMs usually at? I try and keep mine above 1500, but less than 2k until I'm up at operating temps.

2011 2500 CTD CC 4x4

#4 Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 AM
SlimTex

H&S overdrive keeps the RPM's up around 1,500. Usually wont shift gears until 1,800 RPM under light acceleration.

I rarely get over 2,500 RPM. Unlike my Hemi, I don't need much rpm to get power, love it.

2011 2500 CCSB Cummins tuned by H&S, sprung by Carli, rolling on Toyo's.
#5 Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 AM
NoPlugsRequired

What speeds are you going?

'12 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 4x4 CrewCab Longbed
Carli 3" "Dominator", Trussed and Hydo'd front, AFE Intake, Deleted, 4" TBE, 37" Toyo M/Ts on TrailReady 5 Black/Black wheels, H&S Mini Maxx Race w/ Trans unlock and MCC tuned by Draconian, ISSPRO triple pillars (EGT, Boost and Drive Pressure), ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor, Custom Tube Bumper, Custom Bed Supports, AMP steps, Race Radio, Spare Tire Lock and enough Lighting to need sunglasses at night

#6 Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM
iwin
CTD

(Thread Starter)
Speeds vary, 20-35/40mph on base. Off-base anywhere from 40-60/65.

2011 2500 CTD CC 4x4

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.