Rock Rails, What the hey? - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Power Wagon Forums (05 - Up) > 4G Ram Power Wagon Talk

Closed Thread

liv24wheel

Posted: 06-14-2012, 11:18 PM
City: Albuquerque
Post #21

Just found rails from Addictive Desert Designs (would post the hyperlink, but admin's wont let me until I post 5 times). I like them, except for the step and not being able to tell if they mount to the frame or body.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hilldweller

Posted: 06-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Overlanding Enthusiast
City: Canton
State: GA
Post #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 PW ST View Post
... Welded to frame with 2" x 3" box steel mounts...
I thought we couldn't weld to our frames...?
Hydroformed and all that?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 06-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv24wheel View Post
Just found rails from Addictive Desert Designs (would post the hyperlink, but admin's wont let me until I post 5 times). I like them, except for the step and not being able to tell if they mount to the frame or body.
I think these are the ones you're talking about: http://addictivedesertdesigns.com/sh...psrock-gaurds/
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

notajeep

Posted: 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM
State: OTHER
Post #24

After having a small issue with the lack of sliders on my 08....

I just had the rock slide engineering sliders installed on my 11 CTD.

After doing a lot of research of what was available out there for either power wagons or CTD like mine, I found that there were not a lot of options.
I looked into fabbing something that mounted to the frame rail, but because the rocker panel of the truck is only 1" or so above the level of the bottom of the frame rail, anything that I mounted there would have to dip down and either hang a few inches below the rocker, using up precious ground clearance. or dip down and then come back up. Either way, it would look stupid or would waste a lot of space. Not to mention that the outside of the body is 15" away from the outside of the frame, creating A LOT of leverage that would push a frame mounted slider up into the body.
So, for me, mounting to the frame was not a viable option. And also from a purely cosmetic standpoint, round tube, doesn't at all match the lines of the truck.
There are quite a few "nerf bars" or Tube steps out there for these trucks. After looking a a dozen or so different kinds, including the ones available from Mopar, they all mount to the body, on the back side of the rocker. Using the factory threaded holes there. These are for the most part sturdy enough to stand on and do the job of being just a step just fine. But none of them would come close to supporting the truck. Either the material of the step it's self wouldn't hold up, or the single plane mounting would deform too much.

That led me to the rock slide sliders. I liked the fact that they didn't take up any of my ground clearance. I also liked that being 3/16 plate steel and being supported by 2 different mounting planes they seemed very sturdy.
There was some worries about being mounted only to the body, but then I realized that Jeeps have been doing this for years, and even brand new Jeep JKs use body mounted sliders. I of course realize that my truck weighs a lot more than your average Jeep, but the proof of concept was there.
I was able to watch the entire install process, and I was very pleased with the outcome. The sliders tuck up tight against the body, and along the bottom of the rocker, so, I'm only losing ground clearance of the 3/16 thickness of the slider. Then since I do live in Utah, and the winter salt on the roads is a concern here. I had the installer add a bead of silicone along the entire slider mounting, front and rear. This will keep any water/salt/mud either from running down the side of the truck and behind the slider, or any of the same being flipped up by the tires. I will of course keep an eye on this and re-apply as needed, if ever.
Now... Do they work? Short of finding a large rock to scratch up my new sliders on.....
I had the installer lift the entire truck my just the sliders. The front arms of the lift would not shorten enough to get the pads on the sliders, so he used some rubber mats to set the sliders directly on the lift arms, and the pads were just chilling in the void between the slider and the frame.

Picture of the front lift arm on the slider and the lift arm pad in the void

There was no distortion at all of either the slider, or the body.
However, even being a heavy truck, everything was spread out over 4 lift points. So I had him remove all the lift arms but one and under the front passenger side of the slider lift the truck until both passenger tires of the truck were off the ground.
Again, no distortion of either the body or the slider.

Now, the issue of the bed.
I have thought a lot of what to do here....
You can't mount anything really to the frame because of the leaf spring mount, and the frame rises right behind the cab.
And you can't connect the cab slider to the bed slider because they have to move independently of each other. I'm not sure how much, but even Dodge saw fit to leave at least an inch and a quarter gap at any given point between the bed and cab.
I spoke with rock slide about this. They offered to extend the slider to the rear wheel well. But didn't want to attach it for obvious reasons. The slider would still be ridged there but it would essentially be floating out in space. And with out either leaving a rather large gap or having the chance of crushing the bed side when the cab and the bed flex independently.
I saw the pictures posted of the ADD steps/sliders, and while theirs do go all the way to the wheel, they are still just floating there and offer minimal to no actual protection.
If anyone has a practical solution for this, I'd love to hear it. But other than purely cosmetic, or a flatbed.... I don't see a decent solution.
So, my solution for this is..... Be a good driver, be careful, and use a spotter if/when you are in that type of situation.

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 06-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #25

notajeep- thanks for the pictures. From the looks of it I'm going to be eating my words a little. I still prefer sliders with a step built into them (which is why I had mine made the way they are), but these look like they will do just fine.
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

Blondieoffroad

Posted: 06-18-2012, 11:30 AM
State: UT
Post #26

Ordered My R-SE Sliders today for my 11 can't wait to get them on!! Thanks R-SE for an awesome product, and notajeep for showing that they are just as amazing as I thought!!

Calvinm119

Posted: 06-23-2012, 09:23 AM
City: JBLM
State: WA
View This User's Gallery
Post #27

I called to see if they would fit on a 3G and they said they would be testing them out next week. I don't think that they will do to the way the bottom opening on the 4G door is about 2 inches higher. But they could make some good $$$ if they modified them slightly to allow for 3G use.
Current Mods: Recon Smoked Roof Lamps, Prestige Fender Flares, "T" Steering Upgrade, Redhead steering box, DT Profab Steering Box brace, Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer, 315/70/15 Goodyear Wrangler DuratracsRhinolined Front and Rear Bumper, fender flares, grille, and rocker panels,

Future Mods: Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Custom Fabricated Rock rails, Carli Front differential cover, tonneau cover, recon head and tail lights

MiamiDave

Posted: 11-01-2012, 04:07 AM
City: Northern VA
State: VA
Post #28

I have a NIB set of these for sale $500 face to face. Shipping is a fortune, so willing to drive 100 miles from Northern VA.
2011 Silver PW, red stripe delete and rear PW sticker option (by me), Diamondback Heavy Duty bed cover, Carli front diff protector/Purple Cranium full Spider Guard real diff protector, 315/70 Goodyear Duratracs all around (including spare in stock location)

MiamiDave

Posted: 12-07-2012, 04:39 AM
Post #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDave View Post
I have a NIB set of these for sale $500 face to face.

Shipping is a fortune, so willing to drive 150 miles from Northern VA.
Still for sale-
2011 Silver PW, red stripe delete and rear PW sticker option (by me), Diamondback Heavy Duty bed cover, Carli front diff protector/Purple Cranium full Spider Guard real diff protector, 315/70 Goodyear Duratracs all around (including spare in stock location)

tompat

Posted: 12-07-2012, 06:44 AM
State: OTHER
Post #30

Nevermind, I thought those sliders might have been OEM.

Last edited by tompat : 12-07-2012 at 06:53 AM.

TwinStick

Posted: 12-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Post #31

I have seen Power Wagons flexed to the max & beyond with absolutely NO movement between the bed & cab. Power Wagon frames have a different part # Than reg 2500 or 3500's. Another reason PW's ROCK !!!
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.

TwinStick

Posted: 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Post #32

Another option:

Those vans weigh upwards of 10,000 lbs. Pretty innovative & impressive if you ask me.
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.

dmcelhannon

Posted: 12-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #33

That's pretty slick! ...

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years 41-Days and Counting! ~

MiamiDave

Posted: 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Post #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDave View Post
Still for sale-

JimmyW

Posted: 12-28-2012, 11:26 AM
City: Helena
Post #35

Those Rock Slide Engineering sliders look like the way to go. I visited their site, but didn't see sliders for PWs. Are they custom built or special order? Can you tell us what they cost? Shipping could be a factor, but Montana isn't too fal from Logan. Thanks!

NoPlugsRequired

Posted: 12-28-2012, 09:11 PM
State: AZ
Post #36

Went to the ADD shop a couple days ago and had a look around... this truck was actually there.

The steps on the rails are removable and they just bolt on from the bottom. But I did not notice if they bolt to the frame or if to the body.

'12 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 4x4 CrewCab Longbed
Carli 3" "Dominator", Trussed and Hydo'd front, AFE Intake, Deleted, 4" TBE, 37" Toyo M/Ts on TrailReady 5 Black/Black wheels, H&S Mini Maxx Race w/ Trans unlock and MCC tuned by Draconian, ISSPRO triple pillars (EGT, Boost and Drive Pressure), ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor, Custom Tube Bumper, Custom Bed Supports, AMP steps, Race Radio, Spare Tire Lock and enough Lighting to need sunglasses at night

Thulsadoom

Posted: 12-29-2012, 08:54 AM
City: WY
State: WY
Post #37

I actually have those slider/steps on my truck. They are sturdy and look great. Check my post else where about my thoughts. Actually, after breakfast, I'll post a link. Stand-by...

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...98#post4428398

DOOM

Last edited by Thulsadoom : 12-29-2012 at 09:24 AM.

12PowerWagonST

Posted: 01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
State: NC
Post #38

Question for notajeep or anyone else with the RSE sliders:
It looks like they attach the outsides of the rockers at 7 points, requiring 7 holes drilled into the rockers? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

On a separate note, there's one company I haven't seen mentioned- Anybody got Aluminess sliders? Thoughts on them?

RustyPW08

Thumbs up  Posted: 01-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Moab Tested
City: Brownsville
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12PowerWagonST View Post
It looks like they attach the outsides of the rockers at 7 points, requiring 7 holes drilled into the rockers? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

On a separate note, there's one company I haven't seen mentioned- Anybody got Aluminess sliders? Thoughts on them?
I got their front bumper. Top notch stuff.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Sequentially Number #08-1505,
Inferno Red, Automatic
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Extang Tonneau Cover, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, Had 35" Cooper STT's now 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper, PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal and it's own body bag!, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, MORE STUFF COMIN', TTI headers, Somebody's long arm, 7.2L MOTOR ,
Mods to me; Ti hip replacement. Zerk fitting in knee. Now it's gets greased more than some guys front drive shafts. I've been Used, Abused and Recycled!
Survivor of The Cold War, Heaven's Gate, The Grand Conjunction, The Pleiadeans Landings, Y2K, The Winch Mob Banning, The Mayan Apocalypse, and some other covert stuff. Future zombie killer!

Jacqui, loving wife and mother. 7/11/61 - 5/13/11 I miss you!
"Moab '10, '12",
"Rausch Creek-Spring, Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13"

RUSS

FirerescuePW

Posted: 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM
City: North Wales
State: PA
Post #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12PowerWagonST View Post

A few guys have ordered them recently. We are waiting for feedback. They do look sturdy. Some don't like that they attach to the inside of the rockers. The rocker is a strong part of the cab structure, but you bolt them through sheetmetal, basically. So it could go either way.

Rausch Creek Spring 2011

Rausch Creek Fall 2011

2012 East Coast Spring Rally at Rausch Creek ORP

2013 Power Wagon Gathering at Rausch Creek Offroad Park

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq, DT ProFab Steering Brace, Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, White Knuckle Rock Sliders, Reflex spray-in liner, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Pop Lock electric tailgate lock, Tekonsha Prodigy brake control, LEDS & Strobes & Siren, Winch TPS Bypass, Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!
Closed Thread