RPM Limiter - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Redtruck-VA

RPM Limiter - Posted: 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Redtruck-VA
City: Philippines/VA
State: VA
Post #1

Ok tuning guru's, can someone please tell me exactly what happens when the engine smacks into it's rpm limiter? Fuel cut? Ignition cut? TB closed? Also any supporting information is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
2003 RCSB SXT-Hemi - OEM SS/T rims/275/55-17 tires, AeroForce-w/wideband, Trans LP gage, 6.1 dual coil ignition, 05 fuel pump, K&N -77 CAI, Fastman TB, 20% U/D, eFan, TCI FastGate shifter, AutoMeter Shiftlite, 180 thermostat, TMR, Sonnax, 2500HD OEM Trans Cooler, Crazy Spartan/112 lsa, 2800 stall Edge Converter, DTT 4:10, LT's, Magnaflow SI/DO, duals cats, Mcgaughys 3/6 spindle kit, Monroe gasomatics shocks, Caster/camber adjusters, Caltracs traction bars, Aeon springs for bump stops Frt/Rear, 04 Laramie leather SLT 10 way seat and SLT leather steering wheel, CD/radio, stand alone OEM foglights, billet grille inserts, painted cowl (shaved) and upper bumper cover, Shaved tailgate w/EZdown, Shaved Antenna, Amplified hidden antenna, sliding rear window, welded steel Roll Pan, Hidden hitch, Sport mirrors, Painted Front bumper, Fiberglass tonneau cover, OEM bed liner, OEM SRT-10 gage pillar, billet gas door, de-badged, tint strip.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

4.56'd5.7

Posted: 01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Trucks Rule
City: DSM
State: IA
Post #2

Bump, Ive always wanted to know this also.
03 QC Hemi 4x4, Motive 4.56's, APS 2800, Dynatech Lt's/Y,Comp 260, 100 shot, AT3030/AR30 Res, SC 3715, AEM CAI, AEM Wideband, Trac lok LSD, MSD 9mm's, Rancho RS9000, Undercover bed cover, LMC Rollpan, PML Diff cover

PB 1/8th : 8.25 1.75 60' @ 80mph
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

08HEMI1500

Posted: 01-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Rookie
State: FL
Post #3

Pretty sure it's just a power cut like when you hit the governor. You can still rev and keep the speed but you won't go any faster. Not sure what exactly causes it though. Hmmmm now I'm curious as well lol

Military Truck Club #152

JFM-jr

Posted: 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
City: Long Island Suffolk Cnty
State: NY
Post #4

Most ECU's cut fuel (The LS1's do). If you think about it if they cut ignition you would have unburned fuel passing thru the motor not good for most emissions eqpt in the exhuast system.
OEM 4.56 gears
SuperChips Cortex 3950 (1449666)

Redtruck-VA

Posted: 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Redtruck-VA
Post #5

Thanks, I agree the fuel would be cut as there is no backfire or indication anything is rich. I'm hoping the TB continues to operate without closing. I feel it is independent, but was looking for confirmation, Thanks.
2003 RCSB SXT-Hemi - OEM SS/T rims/275/55-17 tires, AeroForce-w/wideband, Trans LP gage, 6.1 dual coil ignition, 05 fuel pump, K&N -77 CAI, Fastman TB, 20% U/D, eFan, TCI FastGate shifter, AutoMeter Shiftlite, 180 thermostat, TMR, Sonnax, 2500HD OEM Trans Cooler, Crazy Spartan/112 lsa, 2800 stall Edge Converter, DTT 4:10, LT's, Magnaflow SI/DO, duals cats, Mcgaughys 3/6 spindle kit, Monroe gasomatics shocks, Caster/camber adjusters, Caltracs traction bars, Aeon springs for bump stops Frt/Rear, 04 Laramie leather SLT 10 way seat and SLT leather steering wheel, CD/radio, stand alone OEM foglights, billet grille inserts, painted cowl (shaved) and upper bumper cover, Shaved tailgate w/EZdown, Shaved Antenna, Amplified hidden antenna, sliding rear window, welded steel Roll Pan, Hidden hitch, Sport mirrors, Painted Front bumper, Fiberglass tonneau cover, OEM bed liner, OEM SRT-10 gage pillar, billet gas door, de-badged, tint strip.

blk05hemi

Posted: 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Post #6

The 2 time's i hit the limiter when i first got a tuner and playing with it, the truck just died for a sec. or 2 then came back to life. (1st gear burnout) There was no doubt it had cut fuel. The only way to know for sure if the TB is closing would be to log the correct pid's and run it up and hit the limiter. The log should show what is being effected.

Performance:Vararam Intake/Dynatech's w/Hi-Flow Cat's&Stage 8's/Borla/Daytona Exhaust/Black Magic E-Fan/Ported&Polished TB/Jet 180* Tsat/Predetor Tuner/BellTech swaybar/TA Performance Cover/Amsol Fluid's

Apperance:SRT-10 Rear Spoiler/Hemi badges on scoop/Scoop Insert/Line of Fire/Easy-Down/Painted Caliber's/Billet strut cover's

Interior:Triple Pillar Pod w/Phantom Gauges-Wideband Afr-Oil-Water/Custom led's/Billet-Ram head knob's-Door pin's-Power window panel's-Glove box dash plate& more/Daytona mat's

HemiLonestar

Posted: 01-23-2013, 04:00 AM
Red Trucker
City: Baltimore
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

I hit the speed limiter (105) the firts time I raced it on the interstate against a Silverado SS. It just wouldn't go any faster; no bogging, no bucking, nothing. It stayed at that speed and would not go any higher. I attributed this to it being a fly-by-wire all the computer has to do is stop the TB from opeing any more.

2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition "Big Red"
SRT-10 suspension, brakes and interior parts, Circle D, Bilsteins, Superchips, AiRaid, Taylor shorties, McGaughy's shackles, Borla cat-back, Goodyear 305/50R20 GTII's, Extang Tonneau, Sonnax, Power wire, Daytona lip, tow mirrors, SRT hood.
Mods to come: 06+ coil conversion, Comp 260 install, 05 PCM conversion.

Sarcasm - it beats killing people.

Redtruck-VA

Posted: 01-23-2013, 04:26 AM
Redtruck-VA
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05hemi View Post
The 2 time's i hit the limiter when i first got a tuner and playing with it, the truck just died for a sec. or 2 then came back to life. (1st gear burnout) There was no doubt it had cut fuel. The only way to know for sure if the TB is closing would be to log the correct pid's and run it up and hit the limiter. The log should show what is being effected.
That's a good plan. I'll do that using my SC when I return stateside.. Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
I hit the speed limiter (105) the firts time I raced it on the interstate against a Silverado SS. It just wouldn't go any faster; no bogging, no bucking, nothing. It stayed at that speed and would not go any higher. I attributed this to it being a fly-by-wire all the computer has to do is stop the TB from opeing any more.
I can't say that the rpm limiter and speed limiter operate in the same manner. I've never tried as I have adjusted my speed limiter to 140mph but have read that turning the ignition key to the starter position will override the speed limiter. Good luck with that........

blk05hemi

Posted: 01-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Post #9

Greg, got to think'in after my post, i do know a tuner/friend. It's about time i gave him a call. He may have seen this in a customer's log and may be able to answer that question. He can be a little hard to get ahold of, but i'll see if i get an answer to that question for you. I'll post up if i have any luck.

Performance:Vararam Intake/Dynatech's w/Hi-Flow Cat's&Stage 8's/Borla/Daytona Exhaust/Black Magic E-Fan/Ported&Polished TB/Jet 180* Tsat/Predetor Tuner/BellTech swaybar/TA Performance Cover/Amsol Fluid's

Apperance:SRT-10 Rear Spoiler/Hemi badges on scoop/Scoop Insert/Line of Fire/Easy-Down/Painted Caliber's/Billet strut cover's

Interior:Triple Pillar Pod w/Phantom Gauges-Wideband Afr-Oil-Water/Custom led's/Billet-Ram head knob's-Door pin's-Power window panel's-Glove box dash plate& more/Daytona mat's

Redtruck-VA

Posted: 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Redtruck-VA
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05hemi View Post
Greg, got to think'in after my post, i do know a tuner/friend. It's about time i gave him a call. He may have seen this in a customer's log and may be able to answer that question. He can be a little hard to get ahold of, but i'll see if i get an answer to that question for you. I'll post up if i have any luck.
That would be great! Much appreciate.

blk05hemi

Posted: 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Greg i got ahold of him and he believe's that all 3 are cut, but he's not 100% sure. I asked if he had any customer log's of the rev limiter being hit. He did so i got him to take a look at it. In the log he could see fuel and spark being reduced. The spark was not a lot and might have been from the rpm drop but it was reduced. As far as the TB % it was not a pid he used or use's so there was no data on that. Sorry Bro!!!, Guess were back to the experiment stage. lol

HemiLonestar

Posted: 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Red Trucker
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
I can't say that the rpm limiter and speed limiter operate in the same manner. I've never tried as I have adjusted my speed limiter to 140mph but have read that turning the ignition key to the starter position will override the speed limiter. Good luck with that........
You should know Superchips will extend the speed limiter to 140 & the rev limiter to 6500. Without digging into the manual I figured it was a safe assumption that the rev limiter would work similarly to the speed one.

SRT-10 suspension, brakes and interior parts, Circle D, Bilsteins, Superchips, AiRaid, Taylor shorties, McGaughy's shackles, Borla cat-back, Goodyear 305/50R20 GTII's, Extang Tonneau, Sonnax, Power wire, Daytona lip, tow mirrors, SRT hood.

Redtruck-VA

Posted: 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Redtruck-VA
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
You should know Superchips will extend the speed limiter to 140 & the rev limiter to 6500. Without digging into the manual I figured it was a safe assumption that the rev limiter would work similarly to the speed one.
I'm not disagreeing just stating I don't know. Obviously one is triggered by vehicle speed which I'm guessing is generated in the instrument cluster and the rpm possibly straight from the PCM. I'll chase more wires, but there is only so much that can be done without a schematic of the PCM itself which I don't have.
I'm hoping the FBW operates independent of the rpm/speed limiters so that cruise control can be retained and more of the original configuration is maintained. I want to maintain the basic functions of the OEM PCM only removing fuel, ignition and knock sensors. I'm planning to work first moving ignition to the MS unit. When that's up and running then move fuel control over. That will be when the FBW will let me know if it's going to play nice or not. The knock sensor I don't believe will be a problem.
Very much appreciate everyone's input, this is doable, just need to figure out the simplest approach. Thanks,

HemiLonestar

Posted: 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Red Trucker
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Keep us updated.

Closed Thread