#1 Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Redtruck-VA
Redtruck-VA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RPM Limiter

Ok tuning guru's, can someone please tell me exactly what happens when the engine smacks into it's rpm limiter? Fuel cut? Ignition cut? TB closed? Also any supporting information is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Greg
2003 RCSB SXT-Hemi - OEM Durango rims/275/60-18 tires, AeroForce-w/wideband, Trans LP gage, PPP Track Warrior, 6.1 dual coil ignition, 05 fuel pump, w/external reg, K&N -77 CAI, Fastman TB, 20% U/D, eFan, TCI FastGate shifter, AutoMeter Shiftlite, 180 thermostat, TMR, Sonnax, 2500HD OEM Trans Cooler, 2800 stall Edge Converter, DTT 4:10, LT's, Magnaflow SI/DO, duals cats, Stage III valve body, Mcgaughys 3/6 spindle kit, Caltracs traction bars, Aeon springs for bump stops Frt/Rear, 04 Laramie leather SLT 10 way seat and SLT leather steering wheel, CD/radio, stand alone OEM foglights, billet grille inserts, painted cowl (shaved) and upper bumper cover, Shaved tailgate w/EZdown, Shaved Antenna, Amplified hidden antenna, sliding rear window, welded steel Roll Pan, Hidden hitch, Sport mirrors, Painted Front bumper, Fiberglass tonneau cover, OEM bed liner, Triple gage pillar, billet gas door, de-badged, tint strip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
4.56'd5.7
Trucks Rule

Bump, Ive always wanted to know this also.

03 QC Hemi 4x4, Motive 4.56's, APS 2800, Dynatech Lt's/Y,Comp 260, 100 shot, AT3030/AR30 Res, SC 3715, AEM CAI, AEM Wideband, Trac lok LSD, MSD 9mm's, Rancho RS9000, Undercover bed cover, LMC Rollpan, PML Diff cover

PB 1/8th : 8.25 1.75 60' @ 80mph
#3 Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 AM
08HEMI1500
Rookie

Pretty sure it's just a power cut like when you hit the governor. You can still rev and keep the speed but you won't go any faster. Not sure what exactly causes it though. Hmmmm now I'm curious as well lol

2008 2WD HEMI, 6" FabTech Lift, DIY CAI, BFG T/A KO's 275/65R20, Debadged

Military Truck Club #152
#4 Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
JFM-jr

Most ECU's cut fuel (The LS1's do). If you think about it if they cut ignition you would have unburned fuel passing thru the motor not good for most emissions eqpt in the exhuast system.

09 Hemi powered Ram QC 2500 Sport
Fuel Boost rims 17x9 +20MM
Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/70/17
OEM 4.56 gears
SuperChips Cortex 3950 (1449666)
#5 Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Redtruck-VA
Redtruck-VA

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, I agree the fuel would be cut as there is no backfire or indication anything is rich. I'm hoping the TB continues to operate without closing. I feel it is independent, but was looking for confirmation, Thanks.

Greg
2003 RCSB SXT-Hemi - OEM Durango rims/275/60-18 tires, AeroForce-w/wideband, Trans LP gage, PPP Track Warrior, 6.1 dual coil ignition, 05 fuel pump, w/external reg, K&N -77 CAI, Fastman TB, 20% U/D, eFan, TCI FastGate shifter, AutoMeter Shiftlite, 180 thermostat, TMR, Sonnax, 2500HD OEM Trans Cooler, 2800 stall Edge Converter, DTT 4:10, LT's, Magnaflow SI/DO, duals cats, Stage III valve body, Mcgaughys 3/6 spindle kit, Caltracs traction bars, Aeon springs for bump stops Frt/Rear, 04 Laramie leather SLT 10 way seat and SLT leather steering wheel, CD/radio, stand alone OEM foglights, billet grille inserts, painted cowl (shaved) and upper bumper cover, Shaved tailgate w/EZdown, Shaved Antenna, Amplified hidden antenna, sliding rear window, welded steel Roll Pan, Hidden hitch, Sport mirrors, Painted Front bumper, Fiberglass tonneau cover, OEM bed liner, Triple gage pillar, billet gas door, de-badged, tint strip.
#6 Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
blk05hemi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 2 time's i hit the limiter when i first got a tuner and playing with it, the truck just died for a sec. or 2 then came back to life. (1st gear burnout) There was no doubt it had cut fuel. The only way to know for sure if the TB is closing would be to log the correct pid's and run it up and hit the limiter. The log should show what is being effected.

2005 QC S/B Hemi Sport

Performance:Vararam Intake/Dynatech's w/Hi-Flow Cat's&Stage 8's/Borla/Daytona Exhaust/Black Magic E-Fan/Ported&Polished TB/Jet 180* Tsat/Predetor Tuner/BellTech swaybar/TA Performance Cover/Amsol Fluid's

Apperance:SRT-10 Rear Spoiler/Hemi badges on scoop/Scoop Insert/Line of Fire/Easy-Down/Painted Caliber's/Billet strut cover's

Interior:Triple Pillar Pod w/Phantom Gauges-Wideband Afr-Oil-Water/Custom led's/Billet-Ram head knob's-Door pin's-Power window panel's-Glove box dash plate& more/Daytona mat's
#7 Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 AM
HemiLonestar
Red Trucker

I hit the speed limiter (105) the firts time I raced it on the interstate against a Silverado SS. It just wouldn't go any faster; no bogging, no bucking, nothing. It stayed at that speed and would not go any higher. I attributed this to it being a fly-by-wire all the computer has to do is stop the TB from opeing any more.

2006 Charger R/T & 2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition "Big Red"
SRT-10 suspension, brakes and interior parts, Circle D, Bilsteins, Superchips, AiRaid, Taylor shorties, McGaughy's shackles, Borla cat-back, Goodyear 305/50R20 GTII's, Extang Tonneau, Sonnax, Power wire, Daytona lip, tow mirrors, SRT hood.
Mods to come: 06+ coil conversion, Comp 260 install, 05 PCM conversion.

Sarcasm - it beats killing people.
#8 Old 01-23-2013, 04:26 AM
Redtruck-VA
Redtruck-VA

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05hemi View Post
The 2 time's i hit the limiter when i first got a tuner and playing with it, the truck just died for a sec. or 2 then came back to life. (1st gear burnout) There was no doubt it had cut fuel. The only way to know for sure if the TB is closing would be to log the correct pid's and run it up and hit the limiter. The log should show what is being effected.
That's a good plan. I'll do that using my SC when I return stateside.. Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
I hit the speed limiter (105) the firts time I raced it on the interstate against a Silverado SS. It just wouldn't go any faster; no bogging, no bucking, nothing. It stayed at that speed and would not go any higher. I attributed this to it being a fly-by-wire all the computer has to do is stop the TB from opeing any more.
I can't say that the rpm limiter and speed limiter operate in the same manner. I've never tried as I have adjusted my speed limiter to 140mph but have read that turning the ignition key to the starter position will override the speed limiter. Good luck with that........

Greg
#9 Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 AM
blk05hemi

Greg, got to think'in after my post, i do know a tuner/friend. It's about time i gave him a call. He may have seen this in a customer's log and may be able to answer that question. He can be a little hard to get ahold of, but i'll see if i get an answer to that question for you. I'll post up if i have any luck.

2005 QC S/B Hemi Sport

Performance:Vararam Intake/Dynatech's w/Hi-Flow Cat's&Stage 8's/Borla/Daytona Exhaust/Black Magic E-Fan/Ported&Polished TB/Jet 180* Tsat/Predetor Tuner/BellTech swaybar/TA Performance Cover/Amsol Fluid's

Apperance:SRT-10 Rear Spoiler/Hemi badges on scoop/Scoop Insert/Line of Fire/Easy-Down/Painted Caliber's/Billet strut cover's

Interior:Triple Pillar Pod w/Phantom Gauges-Wideband Afr-Oil-Water/Custom led's/Billet-Ram head knob's-Door pin's-Power window panel's-Glove box dash plate& more/Daytona mat's
#10 Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Redtruck-VA
Redtruck-VA

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05hemi View Post
Greg, got to think'in after my post, i do know a tuner/friend. It's about time i gave him a call. He may have seen this in a customer's log and may be able to answer that question. He can be a little hard to get ahold of, but i'll see if i get an answer to that question for you. I'll post up if i have any luck.
That would be great! Much appreciate.

Greg
#11 Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM
blk05hemi

Greg i got ahold of him and he believe's that all 3 are cut, but he's not 100% sure. I asked if he had any customer log's of the rev limiter being hit. He did so i got him to take a look at it. In the log he could see fuel and spark being reduced. The spark was not a lot and might have been from the rpm drop but it was reduced. As far as the TB % it was not a pid he used or use's so there was no data on that. Sorry Bro!!!, Guess were back to the experiment stage. lol

2005 QC S/B Hemi Sport

#12 Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM
HemiLonestar
Red Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
I can't say that the rpm limiter and speed limiter operate in the same manner. I've never tried as I have adjusted my speed limiter to 140mph but have read that turning the ignition key to the starter position will override the speed limiter. Good luck with that........
You should know Superchips will extend the speed limiter to 140 & the rev limiter to 6500. Without digging into the manual I figured it was a safe assumption that the rev limiter would work similarly to the speed one.

SRT-10 suspension, brakes and interior parts, Circle D, Bilsteins, Superchips, AiRaid, Taylor shorties, McGaughy's shackles, Borla cat-back, Goodyear 305/50R20 GTII's, Extang Tonneau, Sonnax, Power wire, Daytona lip, tow mirrors, SRT hood.

#13 Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Redtruck-VA
Redtruck-VA

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
You should know Superchips will extend the speed limiter to 140 & the rev limiter to 6500. Without digging into the manual I figured it was a safe assumption that the rev limiter would work similarly to the speed one.
I'm not disagreeing just stating I don't know. Obviously one is triggered by vehicle speed which I'm guessing is generated in the instrument cluster and the rpm possibly straight from the PCM. I'll chase more wires, but there is only so much that can be done without a schematic of the PCM itself which I don't have.
I'm hoping the FBW operates independent of the rpm/speed limiters so that cruise control can be retained and more of the original configuration is maintained. I want to maintain the basic functions of the OEM PCM only removing fuel, ignition and knock sensors. I'm planning to work first moving ignition to the MS unit. When that's up and running then move fuel control over. That will be when the FBW will let me know if it's going to play nice or not. The knock sensor I don't believe will be a problem.
Very much appreciate everyone's input, this is doable, just need to figure out the simplest approach. Thanks,

Greg
#14 Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
HemiLonestar
Red Trucker

Keep us updated.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.