What can I expect if dealer damages my car. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM
GermsHemi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What can I expect if dealer damages my car.

I need opinions from members that have maybe gone through something like this. Today I took the wifes 12' vw tiguan for complimentary oil change. The truck has 9500 miles no scratches on paint what so ever, mint. So I'm waiting in waiting area and the manager comes up to me saying there's a problem. We go to see and apparently while the truck was being driven out the overhead door hit the top of the car and damaged the roof and broke the windshield. The manager was not there at the time and they apologized, gave me a loaner car and said the manager would call me Monday and see what we can do. They are trying to say it will be repaired.

IMO a car that is repaired is just never the same. Its not fair that I will loose my time and energy to get this resolved.

Wat do you guys think I should do in this case? Ask for a new car replacement?

2009 RAM Hemi Sport 2WD CC
22" RT Alcoas
Superchips 93 tune
S&B Intake/scoop
Magnaflow catback/hiflow cats
JBA ceramic shorties
Belltech 963sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Let them fix it to your approval. If its just a windshield and roof rack.....I don't see it being bad.

A new one, I really don't see that happening.

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, HIDs / Lighting accessories / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Fukken Wax Specials: Specials here! / Join our Fükken Facebook page!

#3 Old 01-19-2013, 02:43 PM
TruckEnthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think they will give you a new car, but they have an obligation to fix it to your satisfaction, and if necessary compensate you for any diminished value.
#4 Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM
topgun

While a replacement vehicle is rare, it does happen. A guy where I work had a similar issue last year. He parked his less than 1 year old F150 outside the security gate for the local (small) Ford dealer to pick up and do an oil change/warranty work. The pick up guy proceeded to smear off the entire side of the bed on a large cement post near the gate. The vehicle owner got a call about what happened and the dealer's offer was to find a new replacement truck as his like yours was spotless. I think there was motivation on the dealer's part though in this case as being a small town dealer and where I work being a large part of their clientele, they probably didn't want any bad publicity.

I guess to me it would depend on how much damage it actually had. If the roof was crushed, that would be a big deal IMHO. If it is just the windshield and some scratches, then a fix would probably be acceptable. You could always try to get them to upgrade you to a new one for little cost. They should eat most of it though as it was their fault. Be sure to mention the lost resale of the one they wrecked. You want comp at a min or upgraded for a fair amount.

2012 2500 HD Hemi Crew Outdoorsman 4X4, Black and MG

Cooper AT3's, Bedrug, AMP Power Steps, Corsa Exhaust, Undercover SE, S&B Intake, Moroso Catch Can
#5 Old 01-19-2013, 06:18 PM
10TXRAM

Just don't sign off on anything until you're happy. Ask if it will be reported on carfax, if so try and get a brand new one or a buy back. And if they don't take it back than get a diminished value check from them. I deff agree with you when something is damaged, it is not the same.

Diablo tuner
Magnaflowed
Cutout
Jeep srt8 headers
custom Y pipe
HID heads/fogs
HID Reverse lights
Cooper STT's
3" level
#6 Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Noved
Ram n Ram Ram

Let them fix it to your approval I do not believe there will be any lingering effect after this event.

2012 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L Hemi QC 4x4 3.92s 6 Speed Auto with ERS
MODS Moe's 85mm TB
2011 Black Dodge Avenger 2.4L I4 - Wife now drives 85% of time
Former Trucks
2011 Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi CC 4x4 4.10s (2 Years ownership)
2008 Ram 1500 3.7L V6 RCLB 4x2 3.92s (3 Years ownership)
Former Mineral Grey Club Member #77
#7 Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM
..stiffler..

Very rare you will get a new one. Especially since its just a little damage. If it was written off then of course but not from a door hitting it.

But like other said don't sign off until your happy and make sure it's done professionally not just joe blows autobody fixing it.

I seen a guy forget to pump the breaks after a break job, smash the while front end and they didn't replace the car. That car will never be the same. Your vw will be ok.

Oh and after its all fixed make sure you tell them you want to have it for a good 3000 miles driving before anything is signed so you can make sure the glass or roof don't leak etc etc.. Put some miles on the repairs before you settle.

Stiff

Tapatalk using iPad.
#8 Old 01-20-2013, 01:29 AM
NoPlugsRequired

Would need pix to really get an idea of how it could go...

'12 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 4x4 CrewCab Longbed
Carli 3" "Dominator", Trussed and Hydo'd front, AFE Intake, Deleted, 4" TBE, 37" Toyo M/Ts on TrailReady 5˝ Black/Black wheels, H&S Mini Maxx Race w/ Trans unlock and MCC tuned by Draconian, ISSPRO triple pillars (EGT, Boost and Drive Pressure), ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor, Custom Tube Bumper, Custom Bed Supports, AMP steps, Race Radio, Spare Tire Lock and enough Lighting to need sunglasses at night

#9 Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 AM
FirerescuePW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPlugsRequired View Post
Would need pix to really get an idea of how it could go...
^this.

Did it dent the roof? How about the area where the glass sits? If it is dented there, you may have leaking issues as mentioned, and they may not show up for a while.

Rausch Creek Spring 2011

Rausch Creek Fall 2011

2012 East Coast Spring Rally at Rausch Creek ORP

2013 Power Wagon Gathering at Rausch Creek Offroad Park

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq, DT ProFab Steering Brace, Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, White Knuckle Rock Sliders, Reflex spray-in liner, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Pop Lock electric tailgate lock, Tekonsha Prodigy brake control, LEDS & Strobes & Siren, Winch TPS Bypass, Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Last edited by FirerescuePW; 01-20-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: sounded stupid
#10 Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 AM
GermsHemi

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all the advice! I Will let them repair it but under my conditions. First they have to show me the place where it will be repaired and a written estimate. I'm really anal so it will have to pass my inspection before I sign anything off. A written warranty on the work. And any future problems I will deal with them and not the body shop. And of course they will have to compensate me for the diminished value if the repair will be processed through carfax.

I do understand accidents happen but this could of been avoided with professional people working. They have some high school kids washing the cars and doing shitty work too. I actually told the service guy not to wash it. He insisted so I said yes. IMO dealers do a bad job when washing vehicles and do more damage than good.

22" RT Alcoas
Superchips 93 tune
S&B Intake/scoop
JBA ceramic shorties
Belltech 963sp
#11 Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
well, its not as bad as I thought.. so thats a good thing!

New window, and they'll probably repair that scrapes in the roof. I can't see them reskinning that......what a mess that would be.

I think you are on the right track with your comments. Deal with them (they don't have a body shop?) and get what you want out of it.

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, HIDs / Lighting accessories / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Fukken Wax Specials: Specials here! / Join our Fükken Facebook page!

#12 Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Try harder

I agree with Jeremy. Its easy to be the guy who goes on a rampage and starts demanding unreasonable compensation. I found, when a recent event happened with a dealer, that being the nice, understanding guy worked out better. Since the damage is mostly cosmetic, I would let them fix it, request a diminished value check, and be happy.

Mineral Gray 2010 Dodge Ram CC Hemi Sport

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Lighting: Color matched headlights retrofitted with 5000k Morimoto projectors |
5000k HID fog lights tinted with Lamin-x | 6000k HID retrofitted reverse lights
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

#13 Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I_Digg_Durt

This is just my opinion but I can't see there being any diminished value for that amount of damage. It doesn't seem like that would be enough damage to show up on the title as a damage disclosure or show up on a car fax. As long as the repair is done properly I doubt that anyone else would ever know it was even damaged.

2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 CC Laramie.... Bedliner, Floormats, and a toneau. Work in progress.
#14 Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM
GermsHemi

(Thread Starter)
Ok so today I met with the service manager and he explained what would be done. They will repair the truck at a professional body shop that he said has been working with vw dealers for over 20yrs. All the work will have a lifetime warranty and repaired to vw specs. No report to carfax from them or from the body shop. I told them about the diminishing value and he said its illegal here in Illinois. . He even offered for our trouble the 4th year maintenance which is valued at $530 and apologized many times.

My wife is a bit more hard headed and stubborn. I look at both sides of the story before I make any suggestions. I looked at it this way, if another motorist would of hit us and been at fault, their insurance would of just paid for the damage and have a nice day. Same scenario with dealer.
Thanks to all for your help! Now I just have to hope that the body will do good work..

22" RT Alcoas
Superchips 93 tune
S&B Intake/scoop
JBA ceramic shorties
Belltech 963sp
#15 Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Miami_Son
Chrysler faithful

With a sunroof I could see that kind of damage being an issue maybe later. Not just with leaks, but with the sliding mechanism of the sunroof. Since they are willing to give you lifetime coverage for the repairs, I'd be OK with it, but I would want that coverage from the dealer not the repair shop. Repair shops come and go, but a dealer is likely to still be around if and when a problem arises. I would hate to have a problem in 3-4 years and find the repair shop is out of business or under new ownership and the dealer says 'too bad, so sad.'

autolockboxes@hotmail.com
2012 Ram 1500 Sport Hemi Crew Cab 4X2
2000 Ram 2500 Laramie Sport V10 Quad Cab 4X4
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4
1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 4X4
1979 Dodge Power Wagon 4X4
1975 Dodge Ramcharger 4X4
1974 Plymouth Road Runner
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 Dodge Coronet 440
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.