'12 Ram with brake problem! stupid lol - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

mhb1638

'12 Ram with brake problem! stupid lol - Posted: 01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
City: Summerville
State: SC
Post #1

So this past weekend I installed my Belltech 963SP kit which only took about 7 hours (Thanks to stupid ass rear top shock bolts)...and set out to bleed the brakes. I spent $32 on 4 quarts of fluid and never got the thing right. I bled and bled and bled. Finally I had enough and took the truck (with no brakes) to local tire place (only 1 mile down the road). Within 20 minutes they found the problem...Some crackhead factory worker installed two left side brake calipers on the front!! WHHAAAAT!!??? Yeah! The right side brake caliper has the bleed port on the bottom with part number matching left side. Are you serious!!! Is that not some bull*****!!

So, I called my dealer and told them, they replied...we never seen that before. Great!! I have the ram lemon from hell built on a Sunday. Awesome. So, quick phone call to road side assistance and my truck was towed away to the dealership.

So...After all that time and money I wasted, turns out I was screwed from the get go with a bad brake caliper. Thank you crackhead factory worker for your glorious work on my truck LOL.
Advertisement

mirada80

Posted: 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM
2005 Hemi Ram
City: Mansfield
State: OH
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Thats the first time ive heard of that. Hopefully the dealer fixes it and gets it back to u soon. Sounds like the same crackhead factory worker as u called it, that put the motor together for my brothers caliber that left a random bolt in the top end, which caused the motor to blow.
MODS | VaraRam Hemi Under Glass | Superchips 3865 with Trans Tune | SLP Powerflo Catback Exhaust | Shorty Wires | Electric Fan | 180 Stat | Ventvisors | Debadged | Billits in the Grill | Blacked out Led tailights | Blacked out Third Brake Light | Color Matched Headlights | 6000k HIDS in Heads and Fogs | Shorty Antenna | Torsion Bar Level

03 Silver Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 5.7 Hemi
MODS | Home Brew Ram Air CAI | Superchips 3815 | Comp Custom Grind Cam | 6.1 Springs And Pushrods | 06+ Coil Conversion | High Idle Mod | Summit Racing 25% Underdrive | Circle D 3200 245mm converter l TMR Mod | Sonnax Line Pressure Booster | Pacesetter Longtubes l Matching Off Road Y-Pipe l Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler | Electric Fan | 180 Stat | Walbro 255 With 05 Sending Unit | Auburn Limited Slip| B&M ProStick Ratchet Shifter | Custom Gauges | Custom Shifter Surrond | Ventvisors | Debadged | Tinted Tails | Tinted Third Brake Light | Smoked Headlights | 5000k HIDS in heads | 3000k HIDS in fogs | Roll Pan | Shorty Antenna | Custom Painted Grill | Street Scene Bumper | Poor mans 2/4 Drop | Dipped 17" Ram SS/T Wheels With Radials | 2009+ Chrome 20's | And A Little Bit of ZEX
BEST 1/8-Motor-8.43@80.52__Spray-7.85@89.12
BEST 1/4-Motor-13.38@98.9_Spray-12.27@110.42

BEST 60'-1.75

BLUE TRUCK MEMBER #246 | SILVER TRUCK MEMBER #261
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

-Arana-

Posted: 01-14-2013, 10:10 PM
-Arana-
City: Houston
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

damn that's crazy

2012 Express Hemi Ram
Flowmaster super44/Magnaflow Y pipe/Vararam Ram Air Intake/Belltech SP 2/4 drop/U-2 55 24s/5 inch Pypes black tips/1400 Pioneer DVD/Xtant 5Channel Amp/Kicker CVR 12/Pioneer 6x9s all around/ Viper Alarm 5704/Rear View Camera/Smoked Taillights/Smoked 3rd Brake light/LED Reverse and Cargo Lights/Debadged/Custom Texans Badges/LED bulbs everywhere/Switchbacks/Black housing headlights/Tint/Eyebrow Tint/Mr. Norms roof spoiler/

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gone But not forgotten 2008 4.7 RAM
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RamBOY

Posted: 01-14-2013, 10:18 PM
City: Katy (Houston)
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

why were you bleeding the brakes in the first place? i cant imagine how they ever got it to bleed right from the factory in that case. I work on these trucks daily and i have never seen that on any model from the factory. only when other people have done work to them
strange, hope your dealer gets it fixed for you
Belltech 2/4 drop, Spohn adjustable rear control arms and track bar, S&B Cold air intake, 87mm Moes throttle body, E-fan conversion, ARH long tube headers with high flow cats and y-pipe, Magnaflow 18" muffler, Edge 2800 converter, Diablo trinity with custom tune.

mhb1638

Posted: 01-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamBOY View Post
why were you bleeding the brakes in the first place? i cant imagine how they ever got it to bleed right from the factory in that case. I work on these trucks daily and i have never seen that on any model from the factory. only when other people have done work to them
strange, hope your dealer gets it fixed for you
I guess you missed the very first sentence on my OP...I installed a lowering kit. In order for me to have the clearance I needed to get the spring out I had to disconnect the brake line for slack.

Yeah, just spoke to my dealer, apparently my truck is a super star at the dealership. Service Manager Chris took pictures to send up to Chrysler. How they originally bled this is a mystery to me. But yeah, everyone is shocked!

stricnine

Posted: 01-15-2013, 08:18 AM
RANGO
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanky View Post
I guess you missed the very first sentence on my OP...I installed a lowering kit. In order for me to have the clearance I needed to get the spring out I had to disconnect the brake line for slack.

Yeah, just spoke to my dealer, apparently my truck is a super star at the dealership. Service Manager Chris took pictures to send up to Chrysler. How they originally bled this is a mystery to me. But yeah, everyone is shocked!
He is probably asking because we all know that with a bell tech drop there is no need to remove brake lines for slack!!! Zip ties are your friend! Hahahahahaha

Hope they get it fixed for you.

2011 Charger R/T w/ Eibach Pro Line drop springs, MOPAR Intake, Twin FM Super 44's, 20" Torque Thrust M Limited Edition

TylerB

Posted: 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
City: Edgewater
State: FL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #7

Taking the caliper off should have been your first step after taking the wheel off.

Sport model ≠ sport truck section

RamBOY

Posted: 01-15-2013, 10:57 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricnine View Post
He is probably asking because we all know that with a bell tech drop there is no need to remove brake lines for slack!!! Zip ties are your friend! Hahahahahaha

Hope they get it fixed for you.

exactly i have a belltech kit on my truck and there was no need to remove brake lines... allthough if you have two left side calipers im glad it happened.. like i said i have never seen this to be an issue in my many years of working for chrysler. all that really matters is that your truck gets fixed and back to normal. i still dont understand how it was ever bled from the factory with two left side brake calipers
Belltech 2/4 drop, Spohn adjustable rear control arms and track bar, S&B Cold air intake, 87mm Moes throttle body, E-fan conversion, ARH long tube headers with high flow cats and y-pipe, Magnaflow 18" muffler, Edge 2800 converter, Diablo trinity with custom tune.

RamBOY

Posted: 01-15-2013, 10:58 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerB View Post
Taking the caliper off should have been your first step after taking the wheel off.
what? why? not necessary. at all

mhb1638

Posted: 01-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Post #10

I guess everyone has their approach to mechanical work...mine was to take the tie rod nut off and the upper control arm nut off. Lower the lower control arm using the jack. Brake assemble and all still attached. With my friend holding the brake up for line slack, i push on the lower arm to get the spring out. Then I used zip ties to hold the brake/rotor up while i get the new spring in.

All in all I'm very glad I found thi snow and not later. Hell by the time I needed brakes the truck "could" have been out of warranty then I'd have to replace it myself. But, nonetheless, the truck is fixed now and riding. I have to say I'm very impressed at how well the truck rides this low. It did lower a bit more than I was thinking but still rides pretty damn good surprisingly!

RamBOY

Posted: 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

tyler.. i understand it had to be disconnected from the knuckle, however the brake line never needed to be removed therefor no air would ever enter the brake system and bleeding the brakes would have been pointless.
tanky im glad its fixed man.

TylerB

Posted: 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
City: Edgewater
State: FL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #12

I should have worded that better. I didn't mean that you should disconnect the brake line at all. Just undo the two 13/16" bolts from each caliper and zip tie the caliper to the frame up out of the way.

Sport model ≠ sport truck section

Kidder

Posted: 01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
City: Mansfield, TX
Post #13

I know I'll be checking my brake calipers the next time I have the wheels off! Glad you got the issue resolved quickly.

thumper477

Posted: 01-20-2013, 08:51 PM
State: TN
Post #14

Maybe the factory uses a Phoenix Injector type tool that pushes the fluid up from the calipers to purge the air and fill the brake system with fluid.Bleeder location on the caliper then would not matter.

my ss got a ls

Posted: 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #15

actually it the other way around i used to work at the truck plant and i cant see why or how that could happen but i am glad to hear its fixed.
Closed Thread