rough idle - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 AM
mmkkpro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
rough idle

Got a 97 dak 3.9,have checked for vac leaks,no check engine lights are on,is it possible to put a carb on this engine,i know carbs,fuel injection is alien to me im old xschool seems like to much crap to go wrong with FI,give me a 1970 440 in happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 PM
IronHorse98

idle

For the idle, i would get new gas and use gas treatment with it (seafoam). I would then check for a blown intake gasket, the belly pan gaskets on the 5.2 and 5.9's are known for blowing out. Not sure on the mechanics of the 3.9, but something to look at. Also, change the plugs, wires, cap rotor-button, and coil. Cant hurt. Anything else would be guessing by me, im not familiar with the 3.9, these suggestions are just basic knowledge. Hope this helps.

1998 2wd CC, 318, 6 inch lift, 33/12.50/15 Duratracs, Pro Comp 15x10 Bead Lock's, 5 speed, in bed tire carrier, all badges removed, pre-runner front tube bumper.
Future mods: Carb conversion, 408 stroker, 4 link rear suspension.
"If your too scared to carry your truck offroad, take your pansy ass and go buy a honda" - Robby Gordon..
#3 Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
mmkkpro

(Thread Starter)
rough idle,no power

thanks,today i pulled all plugs found 2nd plug on passenger side wet,did compression test and all cylinders tested at 125 psi,so i am in process of changing cap rotor and putting accel super stock 7mm wires on too.I have ran seafoam through it,no change,cleaned iac valve and port.So soon as i get these wires made got to custom make them will give another report,ive got a 1993 full size gmc with a 4.3 and it will run circles around this dakota,im not knocking my dakota i really like it but its a dog right now.
#4 Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM
mmkkpro

(Thread Starter)
ok report time today i put an accel super coil on the truck pulled the number 4 plug wet with gas no surprise,cleaned plug put it back in ran some carb cleaner through my pcv valve cant get it out checked over the engine for loose conections found none put air intake system back on started engine still had a skip,so took it for a test drive by the time i got around the block idle had risen to 1400 from 900 skip is gone,idled it back down running on all cylinders now but im still suspect something is still wrong,seems it runs much better when its hot than cold,i suspect possible small head gasket leak and belly pan gasket,but the skip is gone for now so im happy,ive used sodium silicate to seal head gaskets in the past works great,im learning my dodge i really like the truck want to fix her up mabey v8,anybody got a 1970 440 laying around?id settle for 360,im definately going back old school on it asap,i like carburators and msd ignitions simple and run great,thanks to all that helped me im sure ill be back soon
#5 Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
mmkkpro

(Thread Starter)
drove truck to pittsburgh from morgantown wv 160 total miles used whole tank of gas ran like crap,pulled #4 plug its dry now but something else is wrong zero power,ive had it going old school goin to save some money find a 1970s 318 carb reg ignition and puttin it in,they can take all these sensors,computers and trash them,it takes an aerospace enenginer to find the problems on these things simple is best,compression ,gas ,spark it runs period
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.