2013 Ram Radio's Please Read - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 – Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - General Talk

DodgeCares

2013 Ram Radio's Please Read - Posted: 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Dodge Cares
City: Mopar HQ
State: MI
Post #1

All,

The new radio units are being phased in beginning with the 2013 Rams. I am posting this TSB in the hopes that people will understand that you will not be able to switch radios on these trucks. I do not have any information about aftermarket and do not know what effects these changes implemented will have on aftermarket availability but I just wanted everyone to be sure to understand how the new units will work and to get what you want upon purchase instead of counting on a change later. NAV can be added to the RA3 units.

NUMBER: 08-056-12
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 12, 2012

SUBJECT:
Information On New Radio Systems: Sales Code RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4
MODELS:
2013 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin pertains to vehicles that are equipped with, UCONNECT 3.0
AM/FM (sales code RA1) or UCONNECT 5.0 AM/FM/BT (sales code RA2) or
UCONNECT 8.4A AM/FM/BT/ACCESS (sales code RA3) or UCONNECT 8.4AN
AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/NAV (sales code RA4).
DISCUSSION:
The new Ram 1500 pickup truck has new radios with unique features.
· The electrical architecture has changed. The communication system/wiring is
modeled after the Powernet architecture. Unlike the other Powernet vehicles the
audio screen is part of the radio.
· The 911 call button will be enabled when the vehicle is put into Customer Mode, or
after the vehicle has been driven approximately 50 miles.
NOTE: To get the vehicle out of ship mode, please refer to TechCONNECT, 04 -
Vehicle Quick Reference/New Vehicle Preparation
Instructions/Standard Procedure.
· If the vehicle has an RA1 radio, it Can Not be upgraded to include Bluetooth/Hands
Free functionality. NO Mopar accessory kits are planned at this time.
NOTE: None of the RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4 radios are interchangeable with
each other. If the vehicle came with an RA1, radio, you can NOT install
an RA2, RA3 or RA4 radio. If the vehicle came with an RA4 radio, you
can NOT install an RA1, RA2 or RA3 radio and so on.
· Customers are able to purchase different Apps for these radio. If the radio is
replaced the Apps that the customer has purchased will take approximately one hour
of continuous ignition on time, with proper cellular coverage, before the Apps reload.
The vehicle can be returned to the customer before the purchased Apps have
reloaded. Advise the customer of the conditions that have to be met for the Apps to
reload.
· RA1, RA2, RA3 and RA4 radios will be on a parts restriction until 05-06-13.
· CD players will be on a parts restriction until 05-06-13.
· The radio sales code is no longer on the front of the radio. To identify an RA4 from a RA3 radio, the RA4 radio has 3D Navigation, and a “HD” symbol will be displayed on
the screen, see . To identify an RA1 from a RA2 radio, the RA2 radio will
have a phone button on the lower left hand corner of screen, see.
· RA3 radio is the only one that can be upgraded to include a Navigation feature. The
system will have to be activated by the dealer.

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Posted: 11-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Try harder
City: Norman
State: OK
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #2

Wow...it's a nice system, but it sucks that it is no longer interchangeable and cannot be upgraded.

Mineral Gray 2010 Dodge Ram CC Hemi Sport

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Lighting: Color matched headlights retrofitted with 5000k Morimoto projectors |
5000k HID fog lights tinted with Lamin-x | 6000k HID retrofitted reverse lights
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Adidas_kn

Posted: 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Agent Orange!
City: NW Houston
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Interesting. Do these new awesome radios come with RCA Amp outputs for those of us who want to add more kick to the stock radio? More people would retain the factory radios if this were to happen.
09' QC 2wd, Custom Lift with air suspension, Custom fit 2011 2500 front bumper, Challenger style hood, color matched everything, Vararam, SRT8 headers, x-piped side exhaust, 87mm TB, V6 E-Fan, 4.56's, 35/12.50/20's on 20x9 Falken ORC wheels.

Durty work by me, paint by Colin Hurst and retro'd heads by a crazy trucker.

DodgeCares

Posted: 11-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Dodge Cares
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas_kn View Post
Interesting. Do these new awesome radios come with RCA Amp outputs for those of us who want to add more kick to the stock radio? More people would retain the factory radios if this were to happen.
To my knowledge they do not.

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC

DodgeCares

Posted: 11-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Dodge Cares
Post #5

The new features can be found here.

http://www.driveuconnect.com/features/uconnect_access/

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC

Voodoo

Posted: 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
P.F.F
City: Houston
Post #6

& I was pissed that my 2012 didn't have a tape player..
( If your wondering what a tape player is... Ask you grandma )

2012 SCLB HEMI TRUCK

Billet Technology Catch Can From moes-performance.com

"You Can't fix Stupid"

myoung84

Posted: 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Administrator
City: Broken Arrow
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas_kn View Post
Even if you had to buy an additional module, this would still make most people happy, including myself. I'm not a fan of line out converters...

2012 Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Suspension: Carli Performance 2.5 Pin Top Suspension | Carli Track Bar | Carli Diff Guard | Carli Steering Stabilizer | DTP Steering Brace
Performance: Diablo Tuner w/Hemifever Tuning | JBA Headers | Magnaflow 14" Muffler & Y Pipe | LMI Mid Tube Intake | Moe's 85mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Interior/Exterior: Method Double Standard 17" Rims | Cooper STT 35" Tires | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | Powder Coated Bumpers
Retroshop HID Projector Headlights | HID Fog Lights | Randy Ellis Light Bar | Morimoto 32" LED Light | Morimoto Rear LED Lights | Hydro-Dipped Dash
Electronics: Pioneer Headunit | Full Alpine System | Front & Rear Cameras | Mopar Electric Tailgate Lock | Heated Seats | OEM AUX Switch Panel
Offroad: Hardwired Locker Bypass | WARN Wireless Winch Remote | Viair On-board Air | Lots of Recovery Gear

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Hemi

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can

rjmlakota

Posted: 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
City: Buffalo
State: NY
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
& I was pissed that my 2012 didn't have a tape player..
( If your wondering what a tape player is... Ask you grandma )
I'm a little pissed it's not coming with an 8-track....

(If you wondering what an 8 track is, ask your great grandma!)

Voodoo

Posted: 11-28-2012, 04:38 PM
P.F.F
City: Houston
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmlakota View Post
I'm a little pissed it's not coming with an 8-track....

(If you wondering what an 8 track is, ask your great grandma!)

and if you looking fr a reel to reel Give it up, Even the oldest person on earth doesn't remember ..

2012 SCLB HEMI TRUCK

Billet Technology Catch Can From moes-performance.com

"You Can't fix Stupid"

Posted: 11-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator
City: Florissant
State: MO
Post #10

man that '10 in the garage looks better and better with each passing day. LOL

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, Tail light tinting / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Fukken Wax Specials: Specials here! / Join our Fükken Facebook page!

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

lvrr

Posted: 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM
State: CA
Post #11

I still have a reel to reel that works and sounds fantastic. In home of course.

bob coco

Posted: 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM
State: NY
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrr View Post
I still have a reel to reel that works and sounds fantastic. In home of course.
You and the guy in the movie Pulp Fiction probably are the only two people that still have reel to reel. Unless of course you are that guy?

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 12-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob coco View Post
You and the guy in the movie Pulp Fiction probably are the only two people that still have reel to reel. Unless of course you are that guy?
Actually there may be three of us. I have my dads Reel to Reel and its awesome. I also have my grandmothers big stereo with a record player (no 8 track on that one- bummer).
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

VASteelersGuy

Posted: 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
City: Stafford, VA
Post #14

The radio (I have an RA4) or head unit is awesome. It is way ahead of the 2012 setup I had in my Longhorn but an immediate drawback for me is no Lockpick available.

The sound quality is great compared to my previous (same nine speaker Alpine) one. The interface is modern, matched to the interior, works seamless with my iPhone, voice commands work great.

Everything that I see in the touch screen is also available by button, switch, knob, etc. so I believe someone could certainly replace the unit with an aftermarket setup. It will be a few months and I bet the market sees the TV add on, Lockpicks, etc.

mikereidjr

Posted: 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Technology Handyman
City: Hampshire
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #15

I have a reel to reel too!

wyat72

Posted: 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM
PAID OFF!!!
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

How long before the aftermarket makes SD cards for the stock head units that change the audio from stock to their audio setups?

"Hey I just bought the Bose SD card for my stereo, and now it sounds awesome!!!"

I give is 6 months.

Appearance Mods: Chrome Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Mopar Bug Guard, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Mud Flaps & Wheel Liners, Mopar Tow Hooks, Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers, AMI Chrome Fuel Door, Curt Customized Hitch Cover, Bully Locking Tailgate Handle, ACI Vanish Tonneau, Line-X Bed Liner, Autospring 2" Leveling Kit, Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Performance Mods: SuperChips FlashPaq, Volant CAI, 12589 Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe.

Red Truck Club Member #289

VASteelersGuy

Posted: 01-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyat72 View Post
How long before the aftermarket makes SD cards for the stock head units that change the audio from stock to their audio setups?

"Hey I just bought the Bose SD card for my stereo, and now it sounds awesome!!!"

I give is 6 months.
? SD Cards are standards based, the only difference is speed and capacity. The great news is they are dirt cheap considering their capacity and physical size. Anyone with a digital camera, is likely to have some on had already. The speed of the cheapest model is more than capable of the transfer rates you need for the highest audio quality. Assuming there is an indexing of your songs occurring, the bigger your go, the slower the initial load of the contents would be assuming your using the max space.

I threw a 16GB SD card in the truck yesterday with about 15GBs of music. Loaded within 15 seconds the first time and now it's instant.

wyat72

Posted: 01-08-2013, 12:15 AM
PAID OFF!!!
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASteelersGuy View Post
? SD Cards are standards based, the only difference is speed and capacity. The great news is they are dirt cheap considering their capacity and physical size. Anyone with a digital camera, is likely to have some on had already. The speed of the cheapest model is more than capable of the transfer rates you need for the highest audio quality. Assuming there is an indexing of your songs occurring, the bigger your go, the slower the initial load of the contents would be assuming your using the max space.

I threw a 16GB SD card in the truck yesterday with about 15GBs of music. Loaded within 15 seconds the first time and now it's instant.
You missed what I was trying to point out.

I was saying how long do you think it will be, before an aftermarket company uses a storage device like an SD Card or a USB drive to rewrite the existing software and change the "stock" audio system to a "Brand A" audio system? (Similar to what Ford just did with my ford touch, everybody that had V1.0 of the system was sent a USB drive in the mail so they could up grade to the less flawed V2.0)

Example: I did have the stock 8.4 system, but I bought the "Brand A" upgrade and now my audio system is "Brand A"

It could be considered as, changing the stock head unit of a vehicle to an aftermarket head unit, without actually changing the unit its self.

Appearance Mods: Chrome Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Mopar Bug Guard, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Mud Flaps & Wheel Liners, Mopar Tow Hooks, Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers, AMI Chrome Fuel Door, Curt Customized Hitch Cover, Bully Locking Tailgate Handle, ACI Vanish Tonneau, Line-X Bed Liner, Autospring 2" Leveling Kit, Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Performance Mods: SuperChips FlashPaq, Volant CAI, 12589 Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe.

Red Truck Club Member #289

jkorn74

Posted: 01-14-2013, 07:56 PM
jkorn74
City: Dallas
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeCares View Post
RA3 radio is the only one that can be upgraded to include a Navigation feature. The
system will have to be activated by the dealer.
Does anyone know how much this will cost?

VASteelersGuy

Posted: 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Post #20

$500