09 Journey SXT AWD Ball Joint Replacement - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM
GreaseMonkey80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
09 Journey SXT AWD Ball Joint Replacement

My front lower ball joints are worn and need to be replaced to pass my vehicle inspection. Does anyone know how to do this or ever done it them selves? I've done ball joint replacements before but on a much larger scale. I just want to know what Im getting my self into on this job because damaging a part CANNOT happen. I am a US Soldier stationed overseas and parts are not readily available. Ordering parts online is the most affordable for those of us overseas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 PM
dodgefan360
Platinum 2K R/T

If you haven't managed to change them yet, Dodge is notorious for riveting ball joints in place. You'll have to drill them out, replace with bolts and of course the new joint. I've never done ball joints myself but have assisted and they can be troublesome. I doubt you'll break anything, as I didn't when a friend helped me out with one of my old cars.

2000 5.9 R/T - Platinum
144,000m (233,000kms)
Amsoil in the diffs, transfer case and engine - Hughes Plenum - Fastman 52mm TB - K&N FIPK - SCT tuner currently set at 87 octane - Magnaflow 15659 exhaust

My 2000 R/T
2000 R/T Factory service Manual
#3 Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
GreaseMonkey80

(Thread Starter)
I got them replaced finally! They were pressed in but I was able to remove them using a large c clamp a 3inch deep well impact socket and a cheater pipe. I used the same tools to repress the joints back into place! You do have to remove the rotor and heat shield to gain access and you can just hang the caliper from the over springs thanks to 3-4in flex tubes at the end of the brake lines. The suspension system on the Journey is very similar to the Jeep Wrangler!!! Be sure to put lock tight on the caliper mounting bolts before reinstalling. This can be fairly simple to do especially if you have a friend lending you hand. My friend and I completed this job in just under 2hrs. Could have gotten it done in half the time if we had figured out the c clamp and socket trick before hand. After the job is completed, pump the brake pedal until pressure returns before moving the vehicle...thanks to self bleeding system. If you are as lucky as I was, an alignment was not needed after doing a road test at city speeds...not to exceed 50mph. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Without them I would not have had the courage to attempt this on my own.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.