09 Journey SXT AWD Ball Joint Replacement - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Journey Talk

Closed Thread

GreaseMonkey80

09 Journey SXT AWD Ball Joint Replacement - Posted: 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM
City: Germany
State: OTHER
Post #1

My front lower ball joints are worn and need to be replaced to pass my vehicle inspection. Does anyone know how to do this or ever done it them selves? I've done ball joint replacements before but on a much larger scale. I just want to know what Im getting my self into on this job because damaging a part CANNOT happen. I am a US Soldier stationed overseas and parts are not readily available. Ordering parts online is the most affordable for those of us overseas.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dodgefan360

Posted: 02-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum 2K R/T
City: Kitchener
State: ON
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

If you haven't managed to change them yet, Dodge is notorious for riveting ball joints in place. You'll have to drill them out, replace with bolts and of course the new joint. I've never done ball joints myself but have assisted and they can be troublesome. I doubt you'll break anything, as I didn't when a friend helped me out with one of my old cars.

My 2000 R/T
2000 R/T Factory service Manual
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

GreaseMonkey80

Posted: 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
City: Germany
State: OTHER
Post #3

I got them replaced finally! They were pressed in but I was able to remove them using a large c clamp a 3inch deep well impact socket and a cheater pipe. I used the same tools to repress the joints back into place! You do have to remove the rotor and heat shield to gain access and you can just hang the caliper from the over springs thanks to 3-4in flex tubes at the end of the brake lines. The suspension system on the Journey is very similar to the Jeep Wrangler!!! Be sure to put lock tight on the caliper mounting bolts before reinstalling. This can be fairly simple to do especially if you have a friend lending you hand. My friend and I completed this job in just under 2hrs. Could have gotten it done in half the time if we had figured out the c clamp and socket trick before hand. After the job is completed, pump the brake pedal until pressure returns before moving the vehicle...thanks to self bleeding system. If you are as lucky as I was, an alignment was not needed after doing a road test at city speeds...not to exceed 50mph. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Without them I would not have had the courage to attempt this on my own.
Closed Thread