Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge P200 Mail Van - Part Two - Page 68 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1341 Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM
JCAllison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey All,
Wednesday Afternoon Update:

Adjusted the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjustment Bolt (STSAB) OUT one turn. The idle seemed to slow just a bit, but just perceptably. Really need the Vacuum Gauge.

Starting at 1-1/8 turns out, adjusted the Idle Mixture Screws (IMSs) each out 1/4 turn (now at 1-3/8 turns). Nothing changed.

Adjusted the Port IMS out another 1/4 turn (now at 1-5/8 turns). Nothing changed.

Adjusted the Starboard IMS out another 1/4 turn (now at 1-5/8 turns) and the Engine slowed down, and before the SIMS could be returned, the Engine died.

Moved both IMS back 1/8 turn (now at 1-1/2 turns), restarted the Engine and it idled pretty smooth, but it seemed a bit slow.

Adjusted the Hot Engine Idle Screw IN 1/4 turn, and the idle picked up a bit. In fact, it was doing quite nicely... Smoother than it had been.

Actuated the Throttle Linkage, and the Engine revved up.

Released the Throttle Linkage, and the Engine slowed down, but not all the way back to the previous idle. It was running about twice as fast as the previous idle speed, AND it did THAT for about ten seconds and then went back to the previous idle speed. Kind of like it was on a Dashpot, but there's isn't any Dashpot on the 4100.

Revved the Engine up again and released the Throttle Linkage, and it did the same thing.

Revved the Engine up again, and this time it STAYED at the double idle speed, and didn't go back down till the Throttle linkage was pushed forward (closed) manually, then it returned back to the previous idle speed.

Got into the Driver's Seat, and revved up the Engine, and then released the Accelerator, and the RPMs stayed at double idle speed until putting the toe of my shoe under the Accelerator, and lifted it and the speed went back down to idle.

The Primary Throttle Shaft (PTS) doesn't seem to be loose in its bushings, but when the Engine is running at double idle speed, the PTS can be manipulated (i.e turned, moved around) and the RPMs go down to idle speed.

The Accelerator seems to feel a lot lighter than it did when the Holley 4150 was on the Engine.

Maybe need a heavier Throttle Return Spring now?

Anyway, Ms. American sounds good. Am sure that she could use NEW Spark Plugs after all the flooding/overflowing that they underwent.

Turned on the Heater/Defoster. Not much airflow through the Defroster Funnels, but LOTS of heat out of the Heater.

And BEST of all... NO LEAKS!

Comments?

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Mail Van - 225 Slant Six - A727 Torqueflite Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Steering - HEI Ignition System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1342 Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 PM
mopar fan
Retired DT Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAllison View Post
Maybe need a heavier Throttle Return Spring now?

I agree!

Name's AL

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

#1343 Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar fan View Post
I agree!
Hey Al,
All that this caper has put Ms. American and me through has been quite a journey.

Now know so much more, but there's so much that isn't yet known.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Mail Van - 225 Slant Six - A727 Torqueflite Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Steering - HEI Ignition System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System
#1344 Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
FirerescuePW

Hi Mr. A and all,
Is it the linkage that must be physically returned to idle position, or is it a mixture adjustment that needs to be made? When you return the linkage manually, does it remain there, or does it want to spring back up? Did you use the original (existing) return spring? Just throwing darts...

I'm glad that real progress has been made. It would be a shame to spend the time on the carb rebuild only to find that it didn't help. If I have any carburator questions, you can bet I will look you up!

Rausch Creek Spring 2011

Rausch Creek Fall 2011

2012 East Coast Spring Rally at Rausch Creek ORP

2013 Power Wagon Gathering at Rausch Creek Offroad Park

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq, DT ProFab Steering Brace, Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, White Knuckle Rock Sliders, Reflex spray-in liner, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Pop Lock electric tailgate lock, Tekonsha Prodigy brake control, LEDS & Strobes & Siren, Winch TPS Bypass, Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!
#1345 Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 AM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirerescuePW View Post
Hi Mr. A and all,
Is it the linkage that must be physically returned to idle position, or is it a mixture adjustment that needs to be made?
Hey Mike,
It's the Linkage. BUT, the Idle Mixture Screws, the Secondary Throttle Shaft Adjustment Bolt, AND the Hot Idle Adjusting Screw ALL still need to be properly adjusted in relation to EACH OTHER. Have a Vacuum Gauge coming, supposed to be here today, that is used to adjust the Secondary Throttle Shaft, but the rest of the adjustments are done using experience, of which I have little or none.

Quote:
When you return the linkage manually, does it remain there, or does it want to spring back up?
It stays where it gets put.

Quote:
Did you use the original (existing) return spring?
Yes.

Quote:
Just throwing darts...
It's funny that you should say that because one of the VERY astute guys over on the Ford Muscle Forum was to participate in the final round of a Dart Tournament last night. He was going to LITERALLY be "throwing darts".

Quote:
I'm glad that real progress has been made.
There HAS been "real progress" made. Got the Intake Manifold clean when the Gaskets where the Carburetor and Spacer goes got replaced. Got the NEW Proper&Correct Heater Hoses installed and the Heater/Defroster Unit hooked up and function properly with no leaks. Got a NEW Fuel Pump installed. And the Autolite 4100 installed and at least functioning to the point where it can be adjusted. Now if the weather would just cooperate and make it to where everything could be worked on...

Quote:
It would be a shame to spend the time on the carb rebuild only to find that it didn't help.
Well, the 3.14 IS up and running, but how well it is going to perform is still up in the air.

Quote:
If I have any carburetor questions, you can bet I will look you up!
That would be fine, but until all this is gotten to where it is FULLY understood, it would STILL be pretty much of a crap shoot.

Am going to be finding out if the Vacuum Gauge is in by calling the Post Office to see if it has arrived. If it has, am going to see if Ms. American will take me to the Post Office. If she will, we'll be a GIANT step toward a proper adjustment of the Secondary Throttle Shaft. And while we're out will go to the Bank and do some juggling around of funds, and also get gas money for gas in Ms. American.

Will let you know how everything goes.

JC

Last edited by JCAllison; 12-06-2012 at 03:21 AM.
#1346 Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Hey All,
Friday Afternoon Update:

Called the Post Office. Package was in. Got all ready to go.

Started Ms. American up, and even though her Inspection Sticker is out of date, she's the only transportation that I have to get to the Post Office.

Pulled out of the driveway, and started up a slight incline, and the Engine died. Wouldn't restart. She doesn't want to go.

Had just yesterday put a gallon of gas in her tank, and thought that that would be enough to get to the Conoco, but going up the incline, she wasn't getting any gas.

So got out the Gas Can from the trunk, and put the other gallon in the Tank. She started right up with just a bit of priming.

She ran good all the way to the bank where $20.00 was obtained for gasoline.

Went to the Conoco and got gas, and then headed for the Post Office.

Got to the Post Office, went in and sure enough, the Vacuum Testing Rig was in.

Put the package in the 3.14, and tried to start the Engine to head for home.

The Engine wouldn't start.

And OF A SUDDEN, SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT!!!

Got out and opened the hood and the Carburetor was on FIRE BIG TIME.

FLAMES everywhere.

Took off my shirt and tried to smother the flames, but the shirt caught on fire.

Then a fellow pulled out a Fire Extinguisher from his truck and put out the fire.

In the process got this fine yellow powder all over everything in the Engine Compartment.

One of the people at the Post Office let me use their cell phone, and I called the fellow for whom the sign was painted a while back. He came with his pickup truck and towed Ms. American back home.

She is now sitting behind Lorrie Van Haul.

Am going to go out and vacuum all the powder out of the Engine Compartment.

Then will have to do an inspection of the damage. Am sure the NEW Gaskets are just charcoal like the last time that it caught on fire.

Will let you know what is found.

"It's always something." (Rosanna Danna Danna)

JC

#1347 Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 AM
FirerescuePW

Any updates? How are the patients, automotive and other?

Rausch Creek Spring 2011

Rausch Creek Fall 2011

2012 East Coast Spring Rally at Rausch Creek ORP

2013 Power Wagon Gathering at Rausch Creek Offroad Park

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq, DT ProFab Steering Brace, Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, White Knuckle Rock Sliders, Reflex spray-in liner, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Pop Lock electric tailgate lock, Tekonsha Prodigy brake control, LEDS & Strobes & Siren, Winch TPS Bypass, Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!
#1348 Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 AM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirerescuePW View Post
Any updates?
Hey Mike,
Haven't posted any here yet. Haven't gotten any responses to the updates already posted. Figured that Al, and Larry are still engrossed in their medical emergencies and haven't read what was written.

Quote:
How are the patients, automotive and other?
It's hard to tell for sure.

Was at the Post Office to pick up the Vacuum/Pressure Testing unit with which to tune the Autolite 4100 Carburetor when the fire happened.

After getting Ms. American home, vacuumed as much of the Fire Extinguisher Powder as could be removed from the Engine and Engine Compartment, began taking everything off the Engine, and out of the Engine Compartment.

Washed everything down with Vinegar, and flushed everything with lots of Water.

There are Engine Parts that couldn't be removed such as the Cast Iron Shorty Headers, which are NOW all corroded due to the chemicals in the Fire Extinguisher Powder. Think that they can be sprayed with Phosphorotic Acid to change the Iron Oxide to Iron Phosphate, and that will "sort of" salvage THAT problem, but the Intake Manifold and Valve Covers are going to have to have something done to them to keep them from not only looking ratty, but possibly deteriorating them.

Had to clean all the components to get them back to being usable. This included the Starter Solenoid, the Ignition Coil, The Distributor, the Spark Plug Wires, the Aluminum Spacer under the 4100, all the Brackets and Fittings, and etc., not to mention the 4100 Carburetor.

Had to remove it and completely disassemble it, and clean each and every piece. It was completely coated with the Fire Extinguisher Powder.

The Automatic Choke Mechanism was destroyed by the heat since much of it was either Plastic or Nylon.

Spent about four days on the 4100, but it is now back together, sans the Automatic Choke.

Am either going to have to replace the Automatic Choke Mechanism or devise a way to make a Manual Choke using a Push/Pull Cable. This will entail fabricating a Bell Crank and Brackets to attach the Push/Pull Cable to the Dash and to the 4100 so that it will do what is necessary.

There is also the possibility that all the Electrical Connections may be in the process of corroding due to the Fire Extinguisher Powder. Won't know for sure until and unless we start having electrical problems. Should THAT happen, it will most likely cause the death of Ms. American as the replacing of the Electrical System is FAR beyone my expertise and budget.

As to what caused the fire in the first place:

The 4100 has a Pressure Specification of from 4 PSI to 6.5 PSI. That's what the Needles&Seats are able to control.

After the fire happened, the NEW Vacuum/Pressure Tester was used to test the NEW Fuel Pump. Did it by hooking up the Test Unit to the Fuel Line FROM the Fuel Pump, reinstalling the Starter Solenoid, and the cranking the Engine with the Starter.

At cranking speed, found that the NEW Fuel Pump was putting out nearly 9 PSI and that wasn't at idle, or running speed, THAT was just at CRANKING speed. The pressure at idle or at running speed could possibly have been as high as 12 PSI or more. That's what is called an "Overly Aggressive" Fuel Pump.

So what happened was that the excessive pressure from FAULTY Fuel Pump just blew the Needles off of the Seats in the Fuel Bowl, and then overflowed the Fuel Bowls causing the fire.

Have called the Auto Parts Store from which the Fuel Pump was purchased, and they are replacing it with a NEW Unit. That was done yesterday. The NEW Fuel Pump will be in either today or tomorrow.

When I go to pick it up, am going to explain to them the situation. It has caused a LOT of extra work, and I'm willing to just let that go. But it destroyed the Automatic Choke Mechanism on the 4100 and THAT is going to cause a lot of added expense for parts. Am going to see if they will supply some of those parts to help out since it WAS their FAULTY Fuel Pump that caused the whole situation. My tack with them is what would they feel would be the right thing to do if what happened to me happened to them. They have always been VERY fair with me, and am hoping that they will continue to so be.

One of the things that couldn't be cleaned are ALL the Hose Clamps. They were all nice and bright before the fire. They are now all BLACK with tarnish, and it won't come off.

Also, have worn out the Craftsman RotoTool in the process of cleaning everything.

This was a MAJOR hit to my operating budget here.

Anyway, am trudging through this rather unfortunate situation, doing the best that can be done under the circumstances.

Hope this finds YOU doing well.

Hang in there.

JC

#1349 Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
bikerlarry50

wow jc; when it rains, it pours. i have dealt with this situation in the past. first thing i would do at this point, would be to block of the manifold, or cover the openings to make it waterproof, then using a garden hose, flush off the engine several times to disapate the rest of the extinquisher material, it will be ok to flush the electrical connections. then air dry for a couple days. treat, then repaint the damaged valve covers, and manifold. replace the spacer, it probably warped. hopefully the parts house will cover the choke, if not pm me and i will see what we can do do get it right.
i'm glad you are ok though, we can take care of the mechanical stuff. if the wiring turns into a major problem, well then i just might have to travel down there nd help ya replace it.
i'm doin ok, today was 2 weeks after surgery, went for pt eval. kinda freaked the physical therapist, since i am already progressed about 1.5 months ahead of scedule, lol. he did give me instructions and equipment to continue at home, will return in a month for re-evaluation. was real sore today after what he showed me. but its a good healing pain now, not the constant gettin worse stuff i had before.
so whats the status on lorie? hey mike, and al, hope you guy's are doin well? enough for now, ttyltr, larry

as for me,i'm a retired ase master tech, co-own a 2012 dodge durango sxt, and my personal vehicles, my 99 ram 3500 1 ton van, a 06 hd nitetrain, & a 67 hd flh shovelhead , and a 99 sea ray bow rider boat
#1350 Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlarry50 View Post
wow jc; when it rains, it pours.
Hey Larry,
EVERYTHING that could go wrong, HAS gone wrong. None of it Ms. American's fault, and none of it MY fault.

Quote:
i have dealt with this situation in the past. first thing i would do at this point, would be to block of the manifold, or cover the openings to make it waterproof, then using a garden hose, flush off the engine several times to dissipate the rest of the extinguisher material,
Have flushed it all down with Vinegar, and then rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed it. This per instructions from a Fire Chief on the Ford Muscle Forum. Have taken the Electrical Fitting off of the Starter Solenoid, and the Ignition Coil and cleaned them with a Craftsman RotoTool and a Wire Brush Wheel. Have reassembled them with Dielectric Silicone coating.

Quote:
it will be ok to flush the electrical connections. then air dry for a couple days.
Am a little antsy about getting water into the Electrical as the Powder becomes VERY corrosive when mixed with water.

Quote:
treat, then repaint the damaged valve covers, and manifold.
The Valve Covers can just be repainted. They are stained, but not damaged.

The Intake Manifold and the Exhaust Manifolds are going to get treated with Phosphoric Acid. Any oxidization (Iron Oxide - RUST) will get converted to Iron Phosphate. That will STOP the rusting.

Quote:
replace the spacer, it probably warped.
The Spacer amazingly came through just fine. It is still PERFECTLY flat.

Quote:
hopefully the parts house will cover the choke,
Will tell you what happened at the NAPA today a bit later on.

Quote:
if not pm me and i will see what we can do do get it right.
Think that is all worked out. See later comments.

Quote:
i'm glad you are ok though,
I got a few minor burns, and my favorite shirt got burned.

Quote:
we can take care of the mechanical stuff.
It all seems to be alright.

Quote:
if the wiring turns into a major problem, well then i just might have to travel down there and help ya replace it.
Won't know if the wiring is bad until it starts causing problems.

Quote:
i'm doin ok, today was 2 weeks after surgery, went for pt eval. kinda freaked the physical therapist, since i am already progressed about 1.5 months ahead of scedule, lol.
That's GREAT! But take it easy. You don't want to have any setbacks.

Quote:
he did give me instructions and equipment to continue at home, will return in a month for re-evaluation.
Alright.

Quote:
was real sore today after what he showed me. but its a good healing pain now, not the constant gettin worse stuff i had before.
Know what you mean about the different kinds of pain. Had that with the broken hip, and crushed foot.

Quote:
so what's the status on Lorrie?
Lorrie was running one day, got parked that afternoon. Went out to start her the next day, and she wouldn't start. She hasn't run since and that was on November 12, 2012. Have a suspicion that she has bent some Push Rods again. As soon as Ms. American is back up and running, am going to pull Lorrie's Valve Cover to check on them.

Quote:
Enough for now, ttyltr, larry
Went to pick up the NEW Fuel Pump at the NAPA.

Told the manager what had happened, and asked him what he would expect to have done if what happened to me happened to him.

He asked me: "What would YOU like to have happen?"

Told him that I'd like to replace the Fuel Pump, and all the parts that couldn't be restored replaced.

He wanted to know what parts.

Told him ALL the Hose Clamps, the Gaskets, the Positive Crank Case Ventilation Hose that had to be cut off to get the Aluminum Spacer and Gaskets off, and a Push/Pull Cable with which to make a Manual Choke.

Have decided to install a way to manipulate the Choke Plate manually with a Push/Pull Cable. It will take the fabrication of a Bell Crank, but it should be quite simple.

He said: "OK."

Then this evening, got the NEW Fuel Pump out of the box, and it isn't a NEW Fuel Pump. It has been messed with and and it is apparently a reject from another Parts Store. This NAPA got it from a NAPA in Dallas. Looks like someone returned it there and instead of chucking it, they sent it to the Livingston NAPA.

There doesn't seem to be a Gasket in between the Body and the Filter Canister, and there are scratch marks where someone has tried to remove the Canister and it won't come off. It should only be hand tightened. It can't be removed by turning it by hand. Can get the canister off of the one that is fritzed by hand, but not the NEW one.

Am going to call NAPA tomorrow, and tell them, and see what can be done.

Both Lorrie and the 3.14 are non-functional at this point, and costing me $50 a month for insurance!

Anyway Larry, take excellent care of yourself. If you don't, who will?

Be in touch.

JC

Last edited by JCAllison; 12-14-2012 at 07:55 AM.
#1351 Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM
mopar fan
Retired DT Admin

Just thought maybe I should check in to let you all know I'm still alive. Sorry to hear about all your problems with Ms. American and Lorrie Jim!

Name's AL

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

#1352 Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar fan View Post
Just thought maybe I should check in to let you all know I'm still alive.
Hey Al,
THERE YOU ARE!!!

Was beginning to wonder if you were alright. How're you doing?

Quote:
Sorry to hear about all your problems with Ms. American and Lorrie Jim!
I tell people that it's a good thing that all this is a hobby. If it wasn't, I'd probably junk these two old heaps!

Take care of yourself.

JC

#1353 Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Hey All,
Monday, December 17, 2012 Update:

Am at a break point in working on Ms. American. Am awaiting the arrival of an Automatic Choke Mechanism for an Autolite 4100 Carburetor which should be here this coming Friday.

In the meantime, I've had this intuitive feeling that what was wrong with Lorrie Van Haul not starting was that she had bent some Push Rods again.

So this afternoon, went out and removed her Valve Cover.

Fortunately, my suspicions were not founded. There are no bent Push Rods.

So starting from scratch. Am going to have to find out WHY Lorrie Van Haul will not start.

Don't even know where to begin.

JC

#1354 Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 PM
bikerlarry50

jc; first ya need to do a compression check on lorrie to be sure there are no basic mechanical problems, if she passes that test, then its on to spark, & ignition. then finally on to fuel. i cant think of any other way for you to proceed on her at this point in time.
as for miss america, is napa covering your costs on the damage done by there mistakes? i certainly hope so. other than that hope your doing as well as expected? all ok here, just doing my daily pt excercising, and dealing with the pain. cant wait to get on my harley again. feel trapped driving everywhere in my van and durango,lol.
hey al and mike, hope all is getting better for you too. peace, larry

as for me,i'm a retired ase master tech, co-own a 2012 dodge durango sxt, and my personal vehicles, my 99 ram 3500 1 ton van, a 06 hd nitetrain, & a 67 hd flh shovelhead , and a 99 sea ray bow rider boat
#1355 Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 AM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
jc; first ya need to do a compression check on lorrie to be sure there are no basic mechanical problems,
Hey Larry,
Am going to have to get a Compression Tester. That'll have to be next month due to budgetary constraints.

Quote:
if she passes that test,
Have no reason to think that she has any kind of compression problems.

Quote:
then its on to spark, & ignition.
Have checked and checked again to see if the Spark Plugs are firing. They ARE. Checked each and every one of them by removing them, giving them a proper ground and then cranking the Engine to see if they are firing. They ARE. A BIG FAT Blue spark.

Quote:
then finally on to fuel.
The Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor COULD be the problem. BUT, haven't been able to find any rebuild kits for them. The Accelerator Pump is working fine.

Quote:
i cant think of any other way for you to proceed on her at this point in time.
Me either.

Quote:
as for miss america, is napa covering your costs on the damage done by there mistakes? i certainly hope so.
NAPA has been pretty good with this, though I didn't ask them for much. They gave me all NEW Hose Clamps as the OLD Hose Clamps, while still functional were in terrible cosmetic shape. NAPA also supplied a whole NEW set of Gaskets with which to mount the Autolite 4100 Carburetor. And there were some Positive Crankcase Ventilation Hoses that needed to be cut off in order to get the Aluminum Spacer off of the Intake Manifold to make it possible to change the Gaskets, AND to clean the Intake Manifold.

Presently, the Intake Manifold, the Exhaust Manifolds have both been cleaned of the Fire Extinguisher Powder, and have been given a coat of Phosphoric Acid to change the Iron Oxide (rust) to Iron Phosphate. Everything has been cleaned, though some parts (Valve Covers, Heater Motor Cover, Radiator, Catch Tank, and etc.) are going to have to be removed and repainted, or just repainted.

The Gasket, Aluminum Spacer, and all the Heater Hoses are reinstalled with the NEW Hose Clamps. The Starter Solenoid has been removed, cleaned and reinstalled, as has been the Mallory Ignition Coil.

Installed the NEW Fuel Pump yesterday, and tested it with the Vacuum/Pressure Test Rig, and it is putting out 6.8 PSI at cranking speed.

Have made up the Fuel Line from the Fuel Pump to the Carburetor with a Pressure Regulator included in the Line. It came out looking really nice. The Pressure Regulator is all Chrome, and with the NEW Hose Clamps, it looks really industrial.

Am presently awaiting the arrival of a NEW Automatic Choke Mechanism Assembly for the 4100. It will be here later this week, or early next week.

Have completely disassembled the Autolite 4100 Carburetor, cleaned, reassembled, except for the Automatic Choke Mechanism which just bolts on, kind of like an afterthought, and has only one "functional" connection to the Carburetor which is where it fastens to the Choke Plate Shaft Lever.

Have done all the "bench adjustments", and the 4100 is all set to be reinstalled as soon as the NEW Automatic Choke Mechanism Assembly gets here.

Quote:
other than that hope your doing as well as expected?
Seem to be hanging in here. Am at kind of a lull in the activity due to waiting for the Choke Mechanism.

Am going to have to get off my butt and take care of some OTHER stuff that has been neglected due to all the "catch up" stuff caused by the setback of having an Engine fire.

Quote:
All ok here, just doing my daily pt exercising, and dealing with the pain.
Know what you mean. Went through all the therapy pain after the motorcycle crash in 1987, and am NOW am living with all the "after-pain" that lingers from all the damage done.

Quote:
can't wait to get on my harley again. feel trapped driving everywhere in my van and durango,lol.
Does the word "cage" have any relevance here?

Quote:
peace, larry
Just got word this morning that the Automatic Choke Mechanism Assembly will be leaving Seattle, Washington today. It was supposed to have been shipped yesterday, but for some reason (?) it didn't make it.

So in the interim, will be keeping busy doing maintenance stuff, and preparing for the finishing of Ms. American's caper, and preparing for working on Lorrie again. Wonder if both of these old heaps are EVER going to both be functional at the same time?

Hang in there Larry. Don't let up on the Physical Therapy. It will serve you well later on.

Take care.

JC

#1356 Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM
bikerlarry50

jc; you should be able to borrow a compression tester from the auto parts stores. this has been, my findings throughout the past few years. hope this helps, larry

#1357 Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 AM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
jc; you should be able to borrow a compression tester from the auto parts stores. this has been, my findings throughout the past few years. hope this helps, larry
Hey Larry,
By the time one drives TO Livingston, picks up the loaner, they auto debit your checking account for a deposit, then you have to wait two to three weeks for them to refund your deposit by check. One uses the unit, then has to drive it back to Livingston. Then some weeks later one has to drive to the Post Office to pick up the refund. By that time one has spent as much (if not more) than the unit would have cost to just buy outright. And you don't have anything to show for all the cost.

It's just one of the minuses of living out in the boondocks.

Have Googled a "Compression Tester". They're between $20.00 and $30.00 to buy.

JC

#1358 Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 PM
bikerlarry50

damn, sorry jc, didnt realise it was like that. will try to send ya some help in jan, when my investments start paying off. in order to offset some of your xtra costs. i hate the thought of you not having any wheels all the way out there. we will talk soon. keep the faith, larry

#1359 Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM
JCAllison

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
damn, sorry jc, didn't realize it was like that.
Hey Larry,
The area is quite "back-wood-ish". The economy has really hit this area especially hard. As a result, the merchants here are doing all they can to survive. For example, the NAPA in Livingston: It used to be that one could call about getting a part, they would find it on their computer, have it shipped to them, one could pick it up the next day. But NOW, they do that same thing except there are shipping charges!

When Lorrie was having Battery Charging problems a while back, I called about a NEW Alternator. They could get one out of Kansas City... It was $69.00 + $60.00 for shipping from KC to Livingston. So instead, I took one of Lorrie's two Alternators to Smith Auto Electric, and had it rebuilt for $35.00.

Quote:
will try to send ya some help in jan, when my investments start paying off.
Larry, that isn't necessary. The scene here is pretty much alright. There is enough money to get the amount of equipment/material/parts, etc. that can be installed with the amount of time and energy available.

Quote:
in order to offset some of your xtra costs.
There aren't any "extra" costs. It's just that these two old vehicles need stuff done to them, and while the parts are available, the delivery of them are like swimming in molasses.

Like right now, am awaiting the arrival of an Automatic Choke Mechanism for Ms. American's Autolite 4100 Carburetor. One of the guys over at the FordMuscle Forum sent it off yesterday. He's charging me $5.00 for the item. He's sending it by USPS for $8.79 for shipping, insurance, and delivery confirmation. It will be here Thursday or Friday. But am ready for it NOW. So have had to "wait" for it for four days. It just the way it is.

Quote:
i hate the thought of you not having any wheels all the way out there.
Fortunately, there is the fellow for whom I painted the sign for his welding shop who has offered to loan me his Dodge Pickup if necessary. All I have to do is call him, and arrange for a time for me to walk to his place and use his truck to go wherever I need to go. I don't want to be a bother to him, but do use his truck when absolutely necessary.

Quote:
we will talk soon. keep the faith, larry
Alright.

Am spending the time while awaiting the Choke Mechanism by doing stuff that has been neglected around here by the dither that followed Ms. American's Engine fire.

The week following that event was quite intense and strenuous, so am also spending some amount of time resting up.

And as for the operating conditions that exist in the area, that's NOT just HERE.

The economy of the world is being manipulated by those in power, and the whole purpose of the economic uncertainty and turmoil is to make the wealthy wealthier, and poor poorer.

Anyway, your concern is VERY much appreciated, but none of what is here is REALLY of any urgency. It WILL be nice to have my own transportation again, but I am NOT stranded, nor am I in any kind of dire need.

Take excellent care of yourself.

Hope you are well.

JC

#1360 Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 PM
mopar fan
Retired DT Admin

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year everyone!

Name's AL