1987 Dakota 4x4 Starter and steering shaft removal - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 1st Gen (87 -96) Forum

Closed Thread

avianblue

1987 Dakota 4x4 Starter and steering shaft removal - Posted: 12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Avianblue
City: Pacific
State: WA
Post #1

Howdy all, I've been looking over the forum posts for a couple of days now, trying to find an answer to my specific problem of removing/replacing the starter on this Dodge Dakota SE / SS 3.9L 4x4. Some posts come pretty close to what I have but not exactly. person I bought the truck from said he changed out the transmission from one without an over drive to one with an over drive gear

I'm not a mechanic, lets get that up front.

The issue is getting the starter out of the engine compartment without pulling off the exhaust system.

Several posts state that there is enough room to wiggle it out through the underneath of the truck without removing the exhaust (with a lot of effort and two people, must be a different dakota from what I have)

I've looked at this option real close and there is no way it can get past the exhaust system and front frame work under the chassie (not sure what thats called *cross member maybe*). Even if I did unbolt the exhaust from the manifold I dont think there is enough room to slide the starter out.

The best option I've found to get the starter out is getting the steering shaft out of the way. But I haven't figured out to to disassemble it. Which is what I need help with

A couple of posts have been pretty helpful and the picturs were informative, but, (always a but) they all seem to be a bit different than what I have.

I've included picutres of my problem (the 1st pic is the truck itself)

Pic #2 is the starter laying in the engine compartment after removing the mounting hardware

Pic #3 is the starter and the steering shaft and the steering gear box (I think thats what it is called) at the front of the truck. At the green twisty wire is a bolt thru the middle of the steering shaft

Pic #4 is a close up of the blot in the middle of the steering shaft

Pic #5 is the end of the steering shaft as it connects to the steering column at the firewall

Pic #6 is the end of the steering shaft as it connects to the steering gear box at the front of the truck (I'm not sure what the large hole is on the side of the part is)

Pic #7 is the SE /SS emblem on the fender

From my reading I'm guessing that there might be something called roll pins that connect all the pieces (not sure). I managed to remove the bolt in the center of the shaft (Pic #4) and it wiggled a bit but didn't slide or come apart.

Any suggestions on where I go from here?

P.S. I get an "error on page" when I try to spell check, so my appologies if I didn't get everything perfect

Last edited by avianblue : 12-11-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: where are the pictures? okay, had to resize them
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dmcelhannon

Posted: 12-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #2

Welcome to DT!

I know he has 1Gen but let's see if we can help the new DT member with this problem.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years and Counting! ~

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

FreeLantz

Posted: 12-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Retired DT Staff
City: Meadows Place
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #3

Bump for the OP.

Retired DT Admin
Co-President, Texas Four Wheel Drive Organization Sugar Land Chapter

facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing.

dodgef25

Posted: 12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Crazy4x4RT
City: NM
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #4

Yes just remove the intermediate steering shaft. The shaft is in 3 pieces, the middle piece is removable by the 2 center bolts. Remove them then slide it up or down to get it separated. WD-40 will help.

The next option is to remove the shaft from the steering column and/or the steering gear box. Some have simple bolts others use crush pins which have to be punched out, an air hammer with a point is best.

My Youtube Videos! ---My Dana 44 SAS
"No truck should ever be lowerd! NEVER"

avianblue

1987 Dakota 4x4 Starter and steering shaft removal - Posted: 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Avianblue
City: Pacific
State: WA
Post #5

For those of you with this 1987 Dakota 4x4 and are trying to figure out how to replace the starter, you may have realized that there isn't any way to get the starter out of the engine compartment from underneath the vehicle, nor is there any clearance from the top of the engine to remove/replace the starter. The steering shaft is in the way. Picture #4 from my original post and re posted here, shows a bolt and clip in the middle of the steering shaft. Initally, I removed the bolt and tried to wiggle the shaft around but there was little of any movement in any of the components. What I couldn't see was that the clip itself has a small flange that locks the lower shaft part with the upper shaft (see picture 4a&4b&4c).

Also, what I didn't see was a grooved cut out on the upper shaft on the back side of the clip (see picture 4d) which I found by turning the steering wheel a little bit. The grooved cut out had just enough space for me to insert a small flat tipped screwdriver and tap the screwdriver with a hammer to move the lower shaft part out of the coupler to free the two parts. There isn't a lot of room to swing a hammer so it took a lot of small taps to separate the upper and lower shaft parts.

The starter was $50.00 at autozone with limited lifetime warrenty.
Once the shaft parts are separated they swing easily out of the way to access the starter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004a Dakota bolt in middle of steering shaft.jpg (125.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Dakota 4a.jpg (723.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Dakota 4b.jpg (792.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Dakota 4c.jpg (900.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Dakota 4d.jpg (737.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by avianblue : 12-28-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: add picture

volaredon

Posted: 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM
older trucks ARE better!
State: IL
Post #6

that "SS" emblem isn't stock that aint no Shivvy

that truck has the "old style" starter that Dodge used since the 60s; newer trucks had the smaller starter which would directly interchange... easier to get back in
Closed Thread