A couple new mods - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Shikity
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A couple new mods

Always like to share new mods! I bought the truck a couple things and did a minor mod or two.. Here are the updates!

These are ceramic Coated Gibson shorties. I realze that longtubes would have given more HP, but a set of longtubes for this truck can get into the $2000.00 range.. I can't justify that.. These suit my needs just fine.
And trust me, they definatly gave a bit more punch! This thing pulls like a frieght train!!!
Also notice the Mopar gaskets.. When doing a header install on this, a Hemi or any other Mopar, you can't go wrong with the Mopar gaskets!! Worth the extra coin for sure!
Attachment 356941

A comparison of the header and stock manifold.. If nothing else the swap was worth it for the looks alone! There is also a major weight savings between the 2.. Those cast manifolds are HEAVY!!
Attachment 356942

The install was straight forward and easy except for the collector/mid pipe bolts. These were horrible and the worst part. The factory uses these very thin nut retainers that only work during the factory install.. after 2 days of pre soaking with Kroil I only managed to get 3 of the 6 loose with a wrench.. I had to cut the remaining 3.. There is almost no room in this area for anything.. Miserable!!
Attachment 356946

Going through the inner fender is the obvious choice. Here is that view with the manifolds finally out of the way.. I took this chance to wipe down this area of the engine since it is otherwise hard to reach and clean.
Attachment 356943

Finally got the driver side in place and bolted up!
Attachment 356944

And passenger side in place bolted up, and second battery tray removed! These headers along with the rest of the exhaust changes (true duals, rear cats deleted, and Aero Turbines) sound really good IMO.. WAY better than stock(which sounds like crap) Total header install took me about 4 hours.
Attachment 356945

I'm planning on painting a couple things in the spring and was a little anxious to try the paint.. So I did this as an experiment.. I hate all the red from the 3rd brake light.. I just put like a trim ring around it and cleared it.. For now I like it, atleast until I come up with something different!! LOL!!
Attachment 356940

::Added::

On left is the JTSVP short throw.. The gold color one is the stock Hurst.. A member from another forum gave me a great deal on this!!
Attachment 357069
Attachment 357071

Before everything gets bolted up, and its out of site.. Need to vaccum the carpet now too! LOL!
Attachment 357070

Thats it, thanks for checkin out my progress!

.......RC Ram SRT10.......

.....Visual Mods: Yes.....
.Performance Mods: Yes.

Last edited by Shikity; 01-21-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 PM
bigblue94
Gibson

headers look sweet so does the 3rd b.light!
#3 Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Sic Made Ryda
The Outdoorsman 2500

Such a bad ass truck!

2012 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman

Retro Solutions 5k Heads and Fogs / Lamin-X Smoke Heads and Fogs / Smoked LED Cab Lights / LED Cargo Lights / LED CREE Reverse Lights / Taillight and 3rd Brake Light Tint Level 1 / Factory Match Tint / Color Match Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares / Custom Painted Hood / Paint Matched Mirrors / Paint Matched Door Handels / Custom Painted Grill / Blacked Out Ram Head Badges / Debadged / 20x9 BMF Novacane Stealth Wheels / 35/12.50/20 Toyo Open Country MT Tires / Ready Lift 2" Level Kit / Bilstein 5100's / LED Dome Lights (White) / Weather Tech Floor Mats / Alpine 12" Type R / 12" Sealed Fox Box / Alpine 600 Watt Amp / LMI Carbon Fiber Mid Tube With Relocated IAT Sensor / AT3030XL Dumped

#4 Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
ramjet1
Official HEMI SPORT Owner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would say a good ass truck!!!! Awesome mods as always!!!

Flame Red 2006 Dodge Ram HEMI Sport 2 WD Quad Cab, Royal Purple 5W20 Engine Oil. Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140, K&N Performance Gold Oil Filter, Fumoto Oil Valve, NGK 5306 Copper Spark Plugs, OEM 160 Amp-HD Alternator, SharaDon Third Stage Transmission with Amsoil ATF, PML Extra Deep Trans Pan, Edge 2600 Torque Converter, AutoMeter Trans Gauge, OEM HD Trans Cooler, Custom lettered & Powdercoated RamHammer Intake, Jet 180 Thermostat, Zerex G-05 Coolant, Flex a lite Black Magic 180 X-treme Electric Fan With Flex a lite Variable Speed Control Module Kit, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Moe's Performance 87mm Throttle Body, Jet-Hot Coated Doug Thorley Mid-Headers, Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts, Custom Powdercoated Moe's Performance Shroud Delete Kit, Cherry Bomb VORTEX Muffler Single In/Dual Out, Magnaflow Y Pipe, DiabloSport Predator U7137, SRT-10 Gauge Pillar, Keystone Good Hood, OEM Tonneau with SRT10 Replica Sport Wing, OEM Ground Effects, GroundForce 2/4 Drop, 22 inch Black machined SRT-10 Replicas, 22 Inch 305/45/22 Yokohama Parada Spec-X Tires, Premium Dimple, Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors by BrakePerformance.Com, EBC Supreme Green Front Brake Pads & Greenstuff Rear Brake Pads, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, Shaved Tailgate, Sir Michael's Roll Pan, PlasmaGlow Night Raider Tailgate Bar, Street Scene Electric Mirrors, Powdercoated Wipers & antenna, Debadged, Tinted Windows with custom rear window Ram Logo with Flames, Flame Red Cowl & Door Handles, Flame Red Eyelids, Custom Exterior Sunvizor, Anzo Aftermarket Headlights, Ram Daytona Rear Light Covers, Custom Leather Interior From LeatherSeats.Com, WHEELSKINS Leather Steering Wheel Cover, BedRug, EATON/Detroit Tru Trac with YUKON 4.56 Gears, Concept Pattern Engineering Differential Cover-CP4062, Jimmy Jammers, Powdercoated Upper & Lower Grilles, HELLA SuperTone 118db 12 Volt Horn Kit, Duralast Platinum Battery, Clarion CX-501 Double Din/HD Radio/Bluetooth/CD Player Unit, 8 speaker POLKAudio Sound System including 2 Polk amps, Fox Subwoofer Box, Weedahoe's Custom Painted & reworked Double-Din Bezel/Painted door panels/Painted AC knobs, Griot's Garage Detailing Products
#5 Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Shikity

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue94 View Post
headers look sweet so does the 3rd b.light!
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Made Ryda View Post
Such a bad ass truck!
Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet1 View Post
I would say a good ass truck!!!! Awesome mods as always!!!
LOL!! Thanks jet!!

#6 Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator

I think a lightly "silvered" clear lens LED 3rd would look rockin' on there

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, HIDs / Lighting accessories / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Fukken Wax Specials: Specials here! / Join our Fükken Facebook page!

#7 Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Looks great. I hope you got a discount on those! I see they put 5 exhaust ports on those..

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

#8 Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Shikity

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0212353 View Post
I think a lightly "silvered" clear lens LED 3rd would look rockin' on there
That did cross my mind. You can pick them up off ebay pretty cheap too.. I really just wanted to see how well this paint matched.. code PS2, PPG... Its almost perfect for not blending it.
I think I'm going to hold out until I black out the roof and then go with an all black led 3rd. (do you sell LEDs now too?) Atleast thats the direction I'm 99% sure I want to go.
I plan for this truck to be recieving similar hood and roof treatment like my white one did.. Not exact but similar. That is, unless I get some idea to go another direction before I get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07MegaCabRam View Post
Looks great. I hope you got a discount on those! I see they put 5 exhaust ports on those..
Thanks!! LOL!!
Tell you what that extra port mkes for putting the manifold gaskets on kind of a pita with only 2 hands. Damn thing was like fighting with a slinky, it was all over the place!

Last edited by Shikity; 12-11-2012 at 12:22 PM.
#9 Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator

PS2? you sure.......I thought the SRT10s were PSB?

I don't sell the LED stuff at this time.

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, HIDs / Lighting accessories / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Fukken Wax Specials: Specials here! / Join our Fükken Facebook page!

#10 Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
4.56'd5.7
Trucks Rule

Looks really good, that truck is awesome.

So whats it like driving that truck? Are those RC srt10s really quick? Whats the powerband like with that motor? And what kind of MPG are they capable of? (I know you dont buy a truck like that for MPG but just curious)

NICE truck though.

03 QC Hemi 4x4, Motive 4.56's, APS 2800, Dynatech Lt's/Y,Comp 260, 100 shot, AT3030/AR30 Res, SC 3715, AEM CAI, AEM Wideband, Trac lok LSD, MSD 9mm's, Rancho RS9000, Undercover bed cover, LMC Rollpan, PML Diff cover

PB 1/8th : 8.25 1.75 60' @ 80mph
#11 Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Shikity

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0212353 View Post
PS2? you sure.......I thought the SRT10s were PSB?

I don't sell the LED stuff at this time.
Nope, its ps2.. Atleast that what it says on the sticker in the glove box..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.56'd5.7 View Post
Looks really good, that truck is awesome.

So whats it like driving that truck? Are those RC srt10s really quick? Whats the powerband like with that motor? And what kind of MPG are they capable of? (I know you dont buy a truck like that for MPG but just curious)

NICE truck though.
Thanks!

Whats it like to drive?
Have to say the seats are really comfy.
Its basicly like driving any typical RC manual ram as long as you keep your foot out of it. (which is kinda hard) It does give you a sense of Tim the Tool man though. agh agh agh!! More power!! agh agha agh!!

Power band?
Keep it under 3000 rpm and its pretty docile.. There is plenty of TQ always on tap though..
You start getting it above 3000 rpm and it starts to become a murderer.. I can stomp from a 35-40mph roll and it will get all kinds of sideways.
Its easy to see why so many have been wrecked and totaled.
When you start getting silly with the go pedal it'll become unpredictable if you let it.
I have found some open roads where I could safely open it up and it pulls VERY hard and reasonably quick to 120mph from there it still pulls hard to 140+ I let off at that point. Supposedly stock it will do 150+. I have not tried it.

MPG?
There are none. I get on average I suppose about 9mpg in town and if im nice and let the cruise do all the work I have pulled 17-18 on the highway I think.. I don't really check my gas mileage though.. This is one of those cases it is what it is..

Some side note oppinions:
I have to note that Dodge did skimp on a few things with these trucks.. The oil lines and the power steering lines are crap, they leak, and can sometimes just blow apart.

The factory Hurst shifter sucks. Very easy to miss gears with it specificly 3rd under WOT.. Very common problem among RC SRT10 owners. I have just replaced mine (today actually) with a Venom short throw and the differance is night and day.

I personaly feel the factory exhaust sounds horrible.

The clutch hydraulics are weak and need to be upgraded with the ones from the Viper car.

For a full size truck it IS quick. Its no super car, but its fun.. Stock trim reg cab, you can expect high 12sec low 13sec 1/4 mile times depending on the driver and conditions. It definatly holds its own.
Oppinions very of course but to me it leaves something to be desired.. Can you ever have enough power?

Keep in mind the Reg cabs and Quad cabs are different from one another. suspension, auto vs manual trans, drivetrain components....

Then there are a few other minor things that need attention too. Won't get into too much detail, just get boring.

If you are planning to purchase one, definately do your home work. These things get very pricey to work on in a hurry. And as a work truck NO WAY. As a daily driver, you would be fine but I would kinda recommend against it. That would be a case by case basis for sure.. The individual would have to determine that for themselves.

Last edited by Shikity; 01-11-2013 at 05:49 PM.
#12 Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 PM
UsmcAv8R
Jacob

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Those things are blingin, hurt my eyes looking at them. Definitely better than the rusty stock manifolds haha That's crazy those headers can cost $2000, I think you made the right choice.

2007 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
GREENE Racing Cam and Tune, Ported/Milled Heads, Nitrous Express, Pacesetter Longtubes, 3000k 9" Edge Stall, 4.56s, Electric Fan, Fastman TB

8.56@79.57 (NA)

#13 Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 AM
opposite locker

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
If you are planning to purchase one, definately do your home work. These things get very pricey to work on in a hurry. And as a work truck NO WAY. As a daily driver, you would be fine but I would kinda recommend against it. That would be a case by case basis for sure.. The individual would have to determine that for themselves.
Excellent, thank you for that. Have been toying with the idea of an '06 RC SRT as a DD/farm work truck to replace my '08 (when the time comes) if nobody releases a 1/2 ton truck with manual trans in the next couple years. What about these trucks are expensive to replace? Everything I've read says the v10 is near bulletproof and other than fuel, running costs are pretty low.

'08 Ram 1500 QC 4wd 4.7L 6spd (273k)
SSBC F&R brake upgrade; Bilstein struts; Fox 2.0 shocks; McGaughy shackles; Hellwig rear sway; Bosch euro beams BTG; Hella CELIS tails; Mopar w2w steps; Airaid MIT; Magnaflow muffler & Y; Mopar wheel-well liners; 32" Duratracs on 20" Centerlines; Aspen steering wheel w/SWAC; SRT brake & clutch pedals; heated/cooled Infiniti leather driver seat; Bedrug mat; BedRyder seats
'97 Ram 2500 CTD 4wd 5spd flatbed (249k) - plenty of fuel with a stock turbo
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd
#14 Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 AM
mirada80
2005 Hemi Ram

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice. Defenantly alot better in looks department on the headers. Nice suttle mod on the 3rd light aswell.

05 Patriot Blue Pearl Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi
MODS | VaraRam Hemi Under Glass | Superchips 3865 with Trans Tune | SLP Powerflo Catback Exhaust | Shorty Wires | Electric Fan | 180 Stat | Ventvisors | Debadged | Billits in the Grill | Blacked out Led tailights | Blacked out Third Brake Light | Color Matched Headlights | 6000k HIDS in Heads and Fogs | Shorty Antenna | Torsion Bar Level

03 Silver Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 5.7 Hemi
MODS | Home Brew Ram Air CAI | Superchips 3815 | Comp Custom Grind Cam | 6.1 Springs And Pushrods | 06+ Coil Conversion | High Idle Mod | Summit Racing 25% Underdrive | Circle D 3200 245mm converter l TMR Mod | Sonnax Line Pressure Booster | Pacesetter Longtubes l Matching Off Road Y-Pipe l Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler | Electric Fan | 180 Stat | Walbro 255 With 05 Sending Unit | Auburn Limited Slip| B&M ProStick Ratchet Shifter | Custom Gauges | Custom Shifter Surrond | Ventvisors | Debadged | Tinted Tails | Tinted Third Brake Light | Smoked Headlights | 5000k HIDS in heads | 3000k HIDS in fogs | Roll Pan | Shorty Antenna | Custom Painted Grill | Street Scene Bumper | Poor mans 2/4 Drop | Dipped 17" Ram SS/T Wheels With Radials | 2009+ Chrome 20's | And A Little Bit of ZEX
BEST 1/8-Motor-8.43@80.52__Spray-7.85@89.12
BEST 1/4-Motor-13.38@98.9_Spray-12.27@110.42

BEST 60'-1.75

BLUE TRUCK MEMBER #246 | SILVER TRUCK MEMBER #261
#15 Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Shikity

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsmcAv8R View Post
Those things are blingin, hurt my eyes looking at them. Definitely better than the rusty stock manifolds haha That's crazy those headers can cost $2000, I think you made the right choice.
Ha, thanks bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirada80 View Post
Nice. Defenantly alot better in looks department on the headers. Nice suttle mod on the 3rd light aswell.
Thank you! much appreciated..

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposite locker View Post
Excellent, thank you for that. Have been toying with the idea of an '06 RC SRT as a DD/farm work truck to replace my '08 (when the time comes) if nobody releases a 1/2 ton truck with manual trans in the next couple years. What about these trucks are expensive to replace? Everything I've read says the v10 is near bulletproof and other than fuel, running costs are pretty low.
Alright, fair question. I'll give you an honest answer. Keep in mind this is how I feel about it, and other oppinions may greatly vary. I base this only on what I have learned and my knowledge of the vehicles as an owner. Take it for what ever you feel its worth. This could be an extermely debatable topic amongst some.

Lets start with whats expensive to replace.
Anything that doesn't come on a standard Ram basicly. The body cladding, the brakes, the engine, most parts for the engine, a lot of the interior components (seats) for example, the dash bezel.. I think you get the picture.. Anything that makes it an SRT.

As you say besides fuel cost running one isn't astronomicle, but the fuel does add up quick with todays prices.. I believe the fuel cost is the main reason that these trucks died of after only 3 years. Keep in mind you have to run atleast 91 octane. Anything less and she'll ping.

She takes 10 quarts of synthetic and an oil change will run you a full bill ($100) Thats if you do it..

I'm not a fan of the term "bulletproof" either.. All engines, even the best of them have weak spots.. Very, very few mechanical things are "bulletproof".

Keep that in mind.. The v10 that comes in these trucks and the Viper cars, are very expensive engines to build, and worse to replace..
Used they still go for 8K or more dependin on mileage of course.. New your looking at 30K stock. And the 850hp Mopar race version is 40K. I know thats crazy, but you can look it up and confirm it if you want.

Not to say the engine is garbage, thats far from the case, its not at all.. But like all things, there are issues that can be had..

The pistons are some what a weak point.. They can shatter. The push rods wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade either. And if care is not taken you can spin a bearing under hard loaded deceleration.

Most of these issues are more from hard use and racing though.. A little common sense can help keep a lot of bad from happening too.

Also remember all the issues I mentioned in a previous post

The oil lines and the power steering lines are crap, they leak, and can sometimes just blow apart. This has happened to many SRT10 owners. (not me)

The factory Hurst shifter sucks. Very easy to miss gears with it specificly 3rd under WOT.. Very common problem among RC SRT10 owners. I have just replaced mine with a Venom short throw and the differance is night and day. Well worth the expense!

I personaly feel the factory exhaust sounds horrible.(granted, thats my oppinion)

The clutch hydraulics are weak and need to be upgraded with the ones from the Viper car. And the clutch itself isn't the greatest either

Now don't get me wrong.. I know all this sounds harsh. I almost make the trucks sound like junk, but thats not the case, not at all.. I LOVE my truck!!! And I am very proud to own it..

Over all they are very soild, but like mentioned all things can have their quirks.
I'd rather point out some "potential" trouble areas, than to say "yeah sure, you can buy one and beat the piss out of it and nothing will ever happen"
Too many people want to put certain things on pedastals and not face reality and talk something up bigger or better than it is.
A few simple mods add greatly to the realibility, durability, and enyoyability to these trucks.

Now, you say a farm truck...
My idea of a farm truck in NO way includes the idea of using an SRT10.. That would be my last choice. Sure its a truck, but.....Eh!

I have no idea what you do with your farm truck, but for me a farm truck is a work horse.. Something that will be driven through fields and should probably be 4wd.. Its going to get muddy and scratched. The interior is going to get filthy from a hard days work..
Thats not an SRT.. The truck was purpose built to do one thing.. Go fast. Do you realize that the trucks payload/tow rating right on the factory sticker is "NOT RECOMMENDED".. I'm not positive why that is, but thats how its rated.. And boy those Lightning guys like to rub that in.. LOL!!

Thats not to say you cant throw something in the back, or even pull a trailer if needed, but these trucks just weren't specificly designed with Towing and Hauling in mind..
You would be far better off with the Quad cab version then. It is setup different and can be better suited for working conditions. Like hauling and towing, since they set higher. I suppose with an upgraded clutch and clutch hydraulics the RC could also serve well as tower and hauler too.

If you want power and a manual, I would look at a 2500 or 3500 Cummins equipped Ram instead. Now thats a truck that will get some work done!! And I would guess with better fuel economy.

But, your the one that has to make that judgement call. Everyones needs are different, but to me with out knowing more of what the truck would be doing.. Just that it would be used as a farm truck.. No, sorry. That seems like a foolish purchase for the task at hand.

Also keep in mind while the SRT10s (approximate 9057 total built) are growing more rare do to them being wrecked/totaled and whatever, the 06 models are the most rare because that was the year the front clip and interior changed and the last year they were built..
The 06s will carry a higher premium on certain parts, like the front bumper for example..

In the end though it IS a truck, and it can and will take most of what you could dish at it... It definately has the power... Really only you can decide if it truly suits your application.. most important, its your dollar!

Here is a break down of the 04-05 model years.. Don't have exact 2006 break down #'s but I believe 1973 were built that year.

2004 Color Breakdown (Regular Cab only for 04)
Black 1269
Red 1040
Silver 698
VCA Edition 50 (blue with white stripes)
Total 3057

2005 Color Breakdown
Regular Cab / Quad Cab
Black- 471 / 1136
Red- 453 / 777
Silver- 280 / 280
White (CE) - 163 / 0 (white with blue stripes / RC only)
Yellow - 195 / 272 (yellow fever edition, with black scoop)
Total - 1562 / 2465 == 4,027Both

I hope all that helps. I won't be proof reading all that so I hope it makes sense too. LOL!! Although I have edited a couple times!! LOL!!

Last edited by Shikity; 12-13-2012 at 11:33 PM.
#16 Old 12-13-2012, 05:38 PM
JonRoc
Creature Of The Wheel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nice, I want to do shorty headers eventually.

"Code Red" 07 Ram RC 2/4.5 2WD 4.7

Installed or Soon To Be:
McGaughys Deluxe 2/4.5-OEM SRT10 Hood-TMD Bumper Cover-EFX Rollpan-GrillCraft MX Grille-08 Intake Manifold
Stock Chrome 20s-Flame Red Heads-SC3865 w/ Trans Upgrade-Airaid CAI-70mm TB-MF YPipe-Jet 180 Tstat
DMH ECutout-Jet Stream Scoop-SRT10 Wing-15% Tint-Nuvi 50LM-Cree 9W Rev LEDs-Radio Bez Painted Red
SiriusXM Radio-NS'ed Sonar Smoked LED Tails & Recon 3rd-Hawk HPS Pads-Belltech Street Shocks
Red LEDs In Grille-Tailgate Bar-PW-6" Stubbie-BT Emblem-Mopar Batt Shield-Bosch Icon Blades-3W Int LEDs
Going To Buy Someday:
Matte Black Hood Stripe & Roof Wrap-Alpine Sys-Aeon Bump Stops
Gibson Shorties GP316S-BT Int Pieces-CF Mirror Covers
#17 Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 PM
05SlvrBuLLet

Those looking amazing!! Rock on!!
#18 Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Shikity

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRoc View Post
Nice, I want to do shorty headers eventually.
Thanks JonR. Make sure you post up when you get to it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SlvrBuLLet View Post
Those looking amazing!! Rock on!!
Thanks man!

#19 Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 AM
opposite locker

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Great post...didnt realize the truck really has no tangible payload capacity...that would be a problem. Don't need to tow with it, and got my 2G Cummins flatbed for the heavy stuff, but would need to be able to routinely throw AT LEAST 1k lbs in the bed. Not too scared about SRT replacement parts & oil change costs, but the potential engine issues do sound a bit scary. It would get scratched & muddy, and would likely be the only SRT out there on all-terrains. I think it's fair to say you've talked me out of an SRT work truck for now. The quad cab would be much more ideal in every way, except that they never made the QC with 3-pedals, which is a deal breaker. Sorry for the hijack!

'08 Ram 1500 QC 4wd 4.7L 6spd (273k)
SSBC F&R brake upgrade; Bilstein struts; Fox 2.0 shocks; McGaughy shackles; Hellwig rear sway; Bosch euro beams BTG; Hella CELIS tails; Mopar w2w steps; Airaid MIT; Magnaflow muffler & Y; Mopar wheel-well liners; 32" Duratracs on 20" Centerlines; Aspen steering wheel w/SWAC; SRT brake & clutch pedals; heated/cooled Infiniti leather driver seat; Bedrug mat; BedRyder seats
'97 Ram 2500 CTD 4wd 5spd flatbed (249k) - plenty of fuel with a stock turbo
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd
#20 Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Shikity

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposite locker View Post
Great post...didnt realize the truck really has no tangible payload capacity...that would be a problem. Don't need to tow with it, and got my 2G Cummins flatbed for the heavy stuff, but would need to be able to routinely throw AT LEAST 1k lbs in the bed. Not too scared about SRT replacement parts & oil change costs, but the potential engine issues do sound a bit scary. It would get scratched & muddy, and would likely be the only SRT out there on all-terrains. I think it's fair to say you've talked me out of an SRT work truck for now. The quad cab would be much more ideal in every way, except that they never made the QC with 3-pedals, which is a deal breaker. Sorry for the hijack!
While No, the payload isn't rated, 1k definately isn't going to hold it back.. I know there are plenty of guys who have loaded them down, but I can't say I've seen one used as a straight up work truck yet.. I'm sure its been done though..
I really do believe that if its something you felt you really had to do the Quad Cab would be better suited for it, since its suspension is set up different.. More like a typical truck and not dropped from the factory with slapper bars and stuff like that.. Albeit the RC's don't set THAT low stock.. About 1/2 lower than a stock 2wd I believe.
I suppose you could always do a trans swap on a quad cab.. I know for fact thats been done atleast once...
Have to say though an SRT would look kinda odd on all terrains, atleast to me... But hey, its your money..
As far as the engine bits, thats worst case scenario of course, and typicaly these issues come from serious hot rodding, racing or abuse..
They are issues that have come up for some owners in the past though. As stated, these engines aren't junk in any way, they are very good.. BUT, I can't sit back and say they are bullet proof either. What is? I managed to blow up an inline 6cyl 4.0 in my Jeep.. Thats an engine I thought was bullet proof... NOPE!! Thats the reason I will never say something is bullet proof again..

Best overall advise I think I could give any one in the market.... And this goes for most anything I suppose.
If possible look at them both up close and personal, crawl under them and look at the differences, drive them. Keep asking questions, get more feedback than just mine. Get the history on them if you can.. Just don't buy one on impulse. It could easily end up being an expensive mistake.

No hijack I'm no expert, but I'm happy to answer your questions if I can..

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.