Compressor mounting spots?? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

badblackram

Compressor mounting spots?? - Posted: 12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
City: brookhaven
State: MS
Post #1

Where are you guys mounting your compressors?

My setup is a 200psi viair compressor, 5 gallon tank.

I've had mine mounted sideways on the inside of the frame where the spare tire is supposed to be. After about a year and a half it just died on me last week. I have the filter ran over the fuel tank, rarely even ran it(maybe twice a month sometimes more if I have to air up tires), never ran it in the rain or when it's wet out. So my guess is because of how it was mounted it didn't last long. It was a viair compressor but unsure of the model but did have a 200psi rating. I have another but plan to get mounting location opinions and ideas to make this one last longer.

One idea I had throwing around my head was building a small steel box and spraying it with bedliner and mounting it in the bed. Hoping to make it as weather resistant as I can. Is that over doing it? I just don't want to keep buying $200 compressors ever year and a half. Any input would help.

Thanks

2006 Ram 1500
4.7L- Gibson S/S ceramic shorties
Flex-a-lite 183 e-fan kit
Catless w/ 12279 magnaflow
Apm ram air hood w/ ram air intake
Painted grille, bumper, & handles
Painted headlights w/ Retrofitted morimoto projectors
Power slot rotors
Diablo Sport Trinity with Hemifever tune
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
4.56 motive gears & Detroit Truetrac
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

Last edited by badblackram : 12-10-2012 at 10:32 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VINCH

Posted: 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM
City: Lancaster
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

tool box

Red Neck White Hair Blue Collar
2012 Ram Crew Cab 3500 6.7 H.O. CTD 4x4 SRW
285/75/17 Toyo Open Country Xtreme ATII
Pin striping by Bob Spina
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

86bcook

Posted: 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Skid's Customz
City: Borger, Tx
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

There is one guy on here that mounted his behind his front bumper ontop of a aluminum plate (like between the frame rails)

2005 RCSB Hemi
THE SHOW
Completely Repainted, ABC Exclusive Cowl Hood, PURE Custom Tailgate Spoiler, Debadged!!, Honeycomb Grille with R/T elblem, 2/4.5 McGaughys drop w/ Chrome SRT-10 22's, OEM SRT-10 Pillar w/Autometer Tranny Temp, MRK Group silver interior package , 5% tint all the way around, 8000k hid's headlights and fogs, All led bulbs (int/ext), Power Show-N-Go Retractable, License Plate, DEE ZEE Tailgate EZ Down Strut Kit
THE GO
Comp 273 Cam, 6.1 valve springs and push rods, SCT 9550 Hemifever Tune, Pacesetter Headers and off-road x-pipe, Dual 14 inch magnaflows and exit out like the 2010's. With notched rear bump!! Bills custom intake w/ 1in throttle body spacer, Airram Scoop, NGK 5306's, Taylor Red 8.2 Thunder Volt Shorty Wires, Jet 180 Thermostat, Motive 4.56 gears, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors with hawk pads, Prothane Sway Bar Bushings, Prothane Rack and Pinion Mount Bushings,

Www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363131

TexasAxMan

Posted: 12-11-2012, 12:37 PM
City: Houston, Texas
Post #4

I'd go with the toolbox idea.
eBay CAI
Motive 4.56's

2006 Black SC Hemi 2WD
SuperChips 3865
Bed Rug
eBay CAI

badblackram

Posted: 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Post #5

Yeah I thought about a chest type toolbox but didn't want to spend too much on it. Ill have too keep my eye out on a used one.

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

badblackram

Posted: 12-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86bcook View Post
There is one guy on here that mounted his behind his front bumper ontop of a aluminum plate (like between the frame rails)
I also looked into doing this but my train horns are in the way and if I moved it back any further I would not be able to get to my oil filter.

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

trickedinferno

Posted: 12-11-2012, 01:13 PM
City: Fort Smith
State: OTHER
Post #7

Did you try spraying some lube down the vent hose? The Viairs are good compressors, but if you don't use them enough (sounds like your case) they tend to lock up after a little while. Just like a car motor, it's better for them to be used and not sit. Those compressors won't get hurt being mounted where you had yours mounted, putting them in a box would probably make the situation worse because there won't be any chance of the motor getting cooler air to it.

I had my battery, compressor, 5 gallon tank, and 4 valves mounted behind my front bumper.

badblackram

Posted: 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickedinferno View Post
Did you try spraying some lube down the vent hose? The Viairs are good compressors, but if you don't use them enough (sounds like your case) they tend to lock up after a little while. Just like a car motor, it's better for them to be used and not sit. Those compressors won't get hurt being mounted where you had yours mounted, putting them in a box would probably make the situation worse because there won't be any chance of the motor getting cooler air to it.

I had my battery, compressor, 5 gallon tank, and 4 valves mounted behind my front bumper.
I shot some lube in the compressors head and let it set for a hour but no luck. I used a test light and the hot wire has power going into the motor. Made sure I had a good ground but no luck there either.

I checked behind my bumper while I was under there and there is no way ill have room for my tank, compressor, and train horns and still be able to get my oil filter off and let it drain. It was a good idea but just won't work for me.

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

nickm5

Posted: 12-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Post #9

I had the same thing happened to mine,I have mine mounted up front behind the bumper and water got into the unit and it just stopped working.I pulled it a part and open it and cleaned it out with some WD-40 and put it back together with some silicone around the joints,then i sprayed plastic dip over the whole casing but not the cooling fins and it's never fail me again,4 years and counting.....

Rear View Back up Camera, De-badged
On Board Air Compressor, Triple Train Air Horn
Stainless Steel Side Step
Painted grill,black mess,LED step lights,LED strip lights under amber light,315/70/17 mounted on 2010/11 polished alloy dodge wheels.2 1/2" front spring lift-2" lift block in rear,front LED light bar mounted on front bumper,LED backup/work lights under rear bumper.

MY LITTLE FLEET

nickm5

Posted: 12-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Post #10

I have mine up front behind my bumper,3 train horns,compressor,and air tank..you can fit it for sure,I'll post some photos when I get a chance.... I have plenty of room to change the oil filter and so on.....

Rear View Back up Camera, De-badged
On Board Air Compressor, Triple Train Air Horn
Stainless Steel Side Step
Painted grill,black mess,LED step lights,LED strip lights under amber light,315/70/17 mounted on 2010/11 polished alloy dodge wheels.2 1/2" front spring lift-2" lift block in rear,front LED light bar mounted on front bumper,LED backup/work lights under rear bumper.

MY LITTLE FLEET

bnii

Posted: 12-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Bill Newell
City: Medford
State: OR
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

I use a york engine driven comoressor as my primary compressor, but I have an air zenith mounted inside the fram rail in the rear near the notch where the gas tank used to be as a back up. It only fires up once every couple months. These compressors are designed to be sealed but if moisture sits it can cause them to bind up. Easy to take apart and clean up. I've been lucky and had no problems but I've had to fix a few other people's.

TrueCowboy426

Posted: 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Double Rammin'
City: Woodstock/Chatsworth
State: ON
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #12

I mounted my compressor behind the drivers side headlight. This was the best place for me to put it as it was up out of the way so it wouldn't get damaged and stay mostly out of water and mud when I offroad, and the air inlet if mounted high up in the fender by the battery.
2007 Dodge Power Wagon - Inferno Red Quad Cab, G56 6-speed, KRC 210X cam, SRT8 JGC seats, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Offroad lights behind the grill, Warn wireless winch remote, Carli front Diff Guard, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, On board air complete w/ train horns, homemade hidden gooseneck hitch, Homemade locker bypass
Awaiting install: Centerforce clutch and new flywheel.

Old Faithful: used and abused, but keeps firing up.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L Bright Silver (Totalled Dec 2/08, back on the road Feb 4/09. She ain't pretty but still a beast)
HO Cams, 12,000 lbs Winch mounted behind bumper, 4.56's, 2500 factory tow hooks, DMH E-cutout, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Air-Lift Ride Control bags, homemade hidden ball gooseneck hitch.

1987 Dakota RCSB (scary ride) :
413 BB truck motor (.030" over), long tube headers, 727, Quick fuel 830cfm, and a bit more to come.....

My other Vehicles:
1987 Ram W100 4x4 - mild 360
1997 Jeep GC Limited - 4L
1999 Jeep TJ, 4cyl(boo), 5spd

weedahoe

Posted: 12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Tricked out Ram
City: Albany
State: GA
Post #13

My tank and compressor USED to be in my toolbox but after needing more room in the toolbox several times, I deiced to move it.

I took a piece of stainless from work and bent it to fit between the frame rails and mounted it in front of the radiator (I have a body lift). I mounted the compressor and tank to it and my horns mounted where my spare tire used to be (no spare because my current rims and tires are so big)

There are pics in my gallery links
2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI

ZMBSNPR

Posted: 12-16-2012, 12:42 PM
City: Staten Island, NY
Post #14

Interested in onboard air as well. Does anyone make an engine driven compressor for our trucks?
-Jetstream Scoop
-Powerwire
-AT3030 + Magnaflow Y-pipe
-180 Stant T-Stat
-Sonnax Line Pressure Booster
-Bilstein 5100s F+R
-Procomp Series 52 17x9
-285/70-17E BFG AT/KOs

badblackram

Posted: 12-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMBSNPR View Post
Interested in onboard air as well. Does anyone make an engine driven compressor for our trucks?
York. bnii stated he uses one.

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
BEE Ready!
State: CA
Post #16

When I get air I will build a box to hold everything and mount it where the spare tire is.
2004 Rumble Bee #1546 4X4
Ryan
Performance: Super Chips 3865, K&N CAI, Edelbrock Shorty Headers, Dual Exhaust with 18" Magnaflow Muffler and Y-pipe, Power Wire, Sonnax Line Booster, Jet 180* t-stat, Taylor 8.2mm Shortie wires, Flex-A-Lite 183 E-fan, Grounded TB.
Appearance: 22" Black BOSS 334's wrapped in Nexen Tires, LED Tail Lights & Third, Shorty Antenna, Honeycomb Grill, Tint:5% Visor and Rear Window, Deadged, Retro'd 8000k Projected HID Headlights w/ SMD Halos, 3000k HID Fogs, Switchback LED Turns, Full LED Bulb Swap, Snugtop Tonneau w/ Stripe Extensions & 1546 in Stripe
Other: Kenwood KDC-X994, Pioneer 5ch amp wired to 2 10" Diamond Audio Subs in a custom ported box and 2 Kenwood Door Speakers, Clifford Remote Starter/Alarm System w/ Smart Start, Husky Floor Liners, Push Button Start, Jimmy Jammers.
Future Mods: Cam, Alarm Accessories (Motion Sensors, Microphone Sensors, Level Sensor, ect.)...

ZMBSNPR

Posted: 12-16-2012, 02:12 PM
City: Staten Island, NY
Post #17

Bnii, would you mind posting pics and info on your setup? Very interested.
-Jetstream Scoop
-Powerwire
-AT3030 + Magnaflow Y-pipe
-180 Stant T-Stat
-Sonnax Line Pressure Booster
-Bilstein 5100s F+R
-Procomp Series 52 17x9
-285/70-17E BFG AT/KOs

Last edited by ZMBSNPR : 12-16-2012 at 07:47 PM.

03 Rammer

Posted: 12-16-2012, 10:09 PM
AROD'S TRUCK
City: Oviedo, FL
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Mines locked up in my tool box.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

bnii

Posted: 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Bill Newell
City: Medford
State: OR
View This User's Gallery
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMBSNPR View Post
Bnii, would you mind posting pics and info on your setup? Very interested.
I will take a picture when I get home. I thought I had one on my phone but I looked and no luck. Let me check my facebook.
Closed Thread