How to make my truck more "drift-able"? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 AM
opposite locker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to make my truck more "drift-able"?

There are no curvy roads around here (central valley) and I would have to drive too far to get to one, so the only way to really enjoy driving is to slide around on the lonely country roads between home & work.

So on to my unorthodox question: what can I do to my truck (08 4.7 6spd with 3.92's, Bilstein HD's, & rear drop shackles) to make it more prone to losing rear traction on demand other than adding power or changing gear ratios? Some ideas & Q's...

1. Add a DTT or Auburn (leaning towards the DTT) - nothing annoys me more than turning one-wheel burnouts, so planning on adding a limited slip in the next few months, once the 5yr LPT warranty inspection is complete

2. Add a rear sway bar - How much does this actually affect ride quality? I do drive 40k+ per year on beat up country roads, so can't absolutely destroy what ride quality I have now. Which sway bar would you guys recommend?

3. Increase rear brake bias - how can this be done? I realize that I would have to be careful as too much rear bias can make the truck too spin-happy. How does one adjust f/r brake bias on our trucks?

4. Install a handbrake - anyone actually done this? Would love to convert the truck over to a hand lever actuated e-brake. Then I might use it for more than just parking...

'08 Ram 1500 QC 4wd 4.7L 6spd (273k)
SSBC F&R brake upgrade; Bilstein struts; Fox 2.0 shocks; McGaughy shackles; Hellwig rear sway; Bosch euro beams BTG; Hella CELIS tails; Mopar w2w steps; Airaid MIT; Magnaflow muffler & Y; Mopar wheel-well liners; 32" Duratracs on 20" Centerlines; Aspen steering wheel w/SWAC; SRT brake & clutch pedals; heated/cooled Infiniti leather driver seat; Bedrug mat; BedRyder seats
'97 Ram 2500 CTD 4wd 5spd flatbed (249k) - plenty of fuel with a stock turbo
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM
86bcook
Skid's Customz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
More power. Thin tires

2005 RCSB Hemi
THE SHOW
Completely Repainted, ABC Exclusive Cowl Hood, PURE Custom Tailgate Spoiler, Debadged!!, Honeycomb Grille with R/T elblem, 2/4.5 McGaughys drop w/ Chrome SRT-10 22's, OEM SRT-10 Pillar w/Autometer Tranny Temp, MRK Group silver interior package , 5% tint all the way around, 8000k hid's headlights and fogs, All led bulbs (int/ext), Power Show-N-Go Retractable, License Plate, DEE ZEE Tailgate EZ Down Strut Kit
THE GO
Comp 273 Cam, 6.1 valve springs and push rods, SCT 9550 Hemifever Tune, Pacesetter Headers and off-road x-pipe, Dual 14 inch magnaflows and exit out like the 2010's. With notched rear bump!! Bills custom intake w/ 1in throttle body spacer, Airram Scoop, NGK 5306's, Taylor Red 8.2 Thunder Volt Shorty Wires, Jet 180 Thermostat, Motive 4.56 gears, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors with hawk pads, Prothane Sway Bar Bushings, Prothane Rack and Pinion Mount Bushings,

Www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363131

#3 Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
98hemi-ram

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The LSD in the rear I would think would be a big help to. My Dakota (5.2L, 5-speed, 3.92s with LSD) was awesome for drifting around on the snowy roads here. Now that winter is back I'm starting to really miss that truck.

98 Ram 1500 RCSB 2wd - 5.7 Hemi swapped
5.7 Hemi ,comp 260 cam, 87mm TB, 180* t-stat, EGR deleted, dual 14" electric fans, K&N cai, A/C delete, diablo Intune 91 tune, Edge 3200 stall converter, sharadon stage 3 valve body, true duals with flowmaster super 44's and 70's challenger style tips, 4.10 gears, Detroit True-Trac, 3rd gen 20's, aftermarket 1pc headlights, LED tails/3rd brake lights, all bulbs swapped to LED's, 5% tinted windows, 2/5 drop, hard tonneau cover, BedRug box liner
14.63 @ 93.20mph

08 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Daily commuter, 2.3L, 5-speed manual trans, 5% tinted windows and 28MPG's
#4 Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 AM
MadCatPhil

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drive faster, turn sharper

06'-Ram-Hemi-Pearl Black-113 Spartan Cam-Performance Valve Job-.020 Mill-Long Tubes-Magnaflow-AEM CAI-Wideband-Diablo PCM Dyno Tuned By xhpsolutions-TCM tunes and PCM tweaks made WILD by Whitelighting
06'-Magnum R/T-Hemi-Pearl Black-Magnaflow-Diablo Tuned
#5 Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 AM
MoparAndy04

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The most effective addition would be a posi. A rear sway bar would really do nothing to increase driftability, and generally stunt brakes are only on one rear wheel, not both like the factory parking brake. Also, I wouldn't mess with the brake bias, as drifting is based on throttle control, not cranking in more rear brake.

In all honesty though, you should be able to drift your truck pretty good as is, especially with a 6spd. Even with an open rear end I can throw my truck around pretty good on dirt roads. But if you really want it to perform better, a posi is where it's at.

2014 Ram 1500 Express QC 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 8spd ZF Trans, 3.21 Posi, U-Connect 5.0
18" Magnaflow, BT Catch Can, K&N Drop In, Mopar Molded Splash Guards
Line-X Spray In Bedliner, Tonno Pro Lo-Roll Tonneau Cover

2004 Ram 1500 SLT QC SB 4x4 - Gone But Not Forgotten

#6 Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
TexasAxMan

LSD for sure. Agree on brakes, drifting is all about power.

2006 Silver QC Hemi 2WD
SnugLig Tonneau w/ Bed Rug
SuperChips 3815
eBay CAI
Motive 4.56's

2006 Black SC Hemi 2WD
SuperChips 3865
Bed Rug
eBay CAI
#7 Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Ron380
Just a Comedian.

What kind of road surfaces are you referring to?

Pickup trucks aren't designed or intended for Tokyo-Drift stuff...

2007 1500 SLT 4x4. 2-dr, short bed; 4.7l; 3.55 w/LSD.
SC 87 tune; 4" pvc intake; Magnaflow Y-pipe and muffler; Scangauge... oh, and new speakers!
-- More to come...
#8 Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
ST-8
Kind of an 03

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCatPhil View Post
Lol

ITS SLOW!
#9 Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM
opposite locker

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
More power. Thin tires
That would help, but alas can't bring myself to fudge with the motor & LPT warranty.

Quote:
Post #3
The LSD in the rear I would think would be a big help to. My Dakota (5.2L, 5-speed, 3.92s with LSD) was awesome for drifting around on the snowy roads here. Now that winter is back I'm starting to really miss that truck.
Absolutely it would, and is the only certain upgrade left for my truck at this point. Never had trouble sliding in the snow even with a peg leg, but on dry or slightly damp pavement its all inside wheel spin. Unless of course I go into the corner hot & use weight transfer to kick the tail instead of just throttle

Quote:
Lol, I believe that's the recipe for understeer

Quote:
The most effective addition would be a posi. A rear sway bar would really do nothing to increase driftability, and generally stunt brakes are only on one rear wheel, not both like the factory parking brake. Also, I wouldn't mess with the brake bias, as drifting is based on throttle control, not cranking in more rear brake.

In all honesty though, you should be able to drift your truck pretty good as is, especially with a 6spd. Even with an open rear end I can throw my truck around pretty good on dirt roads. But if you really want it to perform better, a posi is where it's at.
Agree on the Posi, but disagree on the other points. Much more important than throttle itself is balance & weight transfer. A rear sway bar will increase rear roll stiffness, which will make the truck much easier to pivot under lift throttle, trail braking, or feint (left/right weight transfer). Once the tail has been kicked, then the throttle comes in to keep the wheels spinning. Perhaps i need to find a 3G with a rear sway to ride in, just to make sure it doesnt hurt the ride too much.

Increased rear brake bias not only keeps the vehicle flatter under braking (less nosedive), but it will also pivot more easily. However, after thinking about it, I'm going to leave the brake bias alone. The bias on our trucks is pretty good, and I seem to be able to overheat the rear brakes just as easily as the fronts when carving through the hills.

It is very easy to drift around on dirt/mud/snow and even in the wet sometimes and yes the 6spd definitely helps. But with sticky 275mm all terrains on dry asphalt, there's no forgetting it's got a peg leg.

Quote:
LSD for sure. Agree on brakes, drifting is all about power.
Perhaps for doing donuts or sliding around a turn while accelerating from a stop, but actually throwing a vehicle into a slide while at driving speeds is much more about handling balance & weight transfer than power. LSD for sure, though

Quote:
Post #7

Paved country roads...sure they aren't designed for it, but why should that stop us? YouTube truck drifting, as in tractor trucks...now THAT is cool!

Just to clarify, I have no intention of "professionally" drifting or participating in any events. It is purely to add some driving fun to these boring, straight, & flat country roads that I'm forced to spend so much time on.

'08 Ram 1500 QC 4wd 4.7L 6spd (273k)
SSBC F&R brake upgrade; Bilstein struts; Fox 2.0 shocks; McGaughy shackles; Hellwig rear sway; Bosch euro beams BTG; Hella CELIS tails; Mopar w2w steps; Airaid MIT; Magnaflow muffler & Y; Mopar wheel-well liners; 32" Duratracs on 20" Centerlines; Aspen steering wheel w/SWAC; SRT brake & clutch pedals; heated/cooled Infiniti leather driver seat; Bedrug mat; BedRyder seats
'97 Ram 2500 CTD 4wd 5spd flatbed (249k) - plenty of fuel with a stock turbo
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd
#10 Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
find dirt roads!

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

#11 Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Belgiquebasterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron380 View Post

You don't say :-)

Get yourself a hemi stroker, you can do very very long burnouts/drifts then :-) you do have to watch out for concrete guardrails though

Wouldn't caltracs help a lot? Whenever I do stupid stuff and the rear wheels starts spinning, the rear starts jumping, caltracs should prevent this?

2003 hemi quadcab Blitz Black

392 inertia stroker - Edge 3000 stall - TCI outlaw ratchet shifter - AEM brute force CAI - PLX AFR gauge
392 build thread: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338656

Misc stuff build thread: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361771
#12 Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Ron380
Just a Comedian.

^ At first glance I thought you hit the guy on the ground!
#13 Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM
musikman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCatPhil View Post
You got to buy those special drift tires...I've got a set I'll sell you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bald tires.jpg (8.0 KB, 248 views)
#14 Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 PM
RUMBLE BEE 1546
BEE Ready!

Well, I was having the same problem. With the BF Goodwrench tires I had to replace the stocks, I would give it a tiny bit of extra gas around the corners in the rain and the back end was gone. Not enough to spin out, just to get the back to brake free to where I was running off the front tires.

When I got my 22" Boss 334's I had to get new tires so I got some nice low profile street tires and it is freakin hard to brake free! I have to dup it down a few gears and it draws to much attention (cops) for it to be worth the fun. But given the right conditions, I can drift in the wet weather. I did it yesterday in fact.

My solution so I don't lose my insanity is going out to a field that is muddy and throwing a lil mud doing donuts.

2004 Rumble Bee #1546 4X4
Ryan
Performance: Super Chips 3865, K&N CAI, Edelbrock Shorty Headers, Dual Exhaust with 18" Magnaflow Muffler and Y-pipe, Power Wire, Sonnax Line Booster, Jet 180* t-stat, Taylor 8.2mm Shortie wires, Flex-A-Lite 183 E-fan, Grounded TB.
Appearance: 22" Black BOSS 334's wrapped in Nexen Tires, LED Tail Lights & Third, Shorty Antenna, Honeycomb Grill, Tint:5% Visor and Rear Window, Deadged, Retro'd 8000k Projected HID Headlights w/ SMD Halos, 3000k HID Fogs, Switchback LED Turns, Full LED Bulb Swap, Snugtop Tonneau w/ Stripe Extensions & 1546 in Stripe
Other: Kenwood KDC-X994, Pioneer 5ch amp wired to 2 10" Diamond Audio Subs in a custom ported box and 2 Kenwood Door Speakers, Clifford Remote Starter/Alarm System w/ Smart Start, Husky Floor Liners, Push Button Start, Jimmy Jammers.
Future Mods: Cam, Alarm Accessories (Motion Sensors, Microphone Sensors, Level Sensor, ect.)...
#15 Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM
musikman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86bcook View Post
More power. Thin tires
#16 Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 PM
NakedBee

It would also be a lot easier to keep it sideways if your had a better weight distribution front to rear. The rear end is so light compared to the front there is no energy to keep it kicked. Hence the popular drift cars such as the 240 and FC rx7 which have near 50/50.
#17 Old 12-08-2012, 03:26 AM
orvtenn
+ Hemi Addict +

An LSD, locker or welding the spiders would work wonders but you could still throw an open-diff vehicle into a power slide it just takes a bit more speed and practice, torque breaks one wheel free and inertia will do the rest. I don't know about skinny tires..my truck will power slide just by feathering the throttle and that's with wide and heavy A/T tires.

2004 1500 SLT RC/SB 4x4 Hemi 5.7
2006 Grand Caravan 3.3L
#18 Old 12-08-2012, 05:31 AM
byrdawg13

stiffer suspension, lower gears, good clutch work, weld your rear end haha

2006 Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbed 4x4 Auto, Cummins Powered
8" BDS, 20x12 MHT MK-19, 37x13.50 Toyo MT.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.......E. Hemingway "
#19 Old 12-08-2012, 08:46 AM
86bcook
Skid's Customz

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikman View Post
Thats what im talking about. Haha. Skinny tires and lots of power!!!!

2005 RCSB Hemi
THE SHOW
Completely Repainted, ABC Exclusive Cowl Hood, PURE Custom Tailgate Spoiler, Debadged!!, Honeycomb Grille with R/T elblem, 2/4.5 McGaughys drop w/ Chrome SRT-10 22's, OEM SRT-10 Pillar w/Autometer Tranny Temp, MRK Group silver interior package , 5% tint all the way around, 8000k hid's headlights and fogs, All led bulbs (int/ext), Power Show-N-Go Retractable, License Plate, DEE ZEE Tailgate EZ Down Strut Kit
THE GO
Comp 273 Cam, 6.1 valve springs and push rods, SCT 9550 Hemifever Tune, Pacesetter Headers and off-road x-pipe, Dual 14 inch magnaflows and exit out like the 2010's. With notched rear bump!! Bills custom intake w/ 1in throttle body spacer, Airram Scoop, NGK 5306's, Taylor Red 8.2 Thunder Volt Shorty Wires, Jet 180 Thermostat, Motive 4.56 gears, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors with hawk pads, Prothane Sway Bar Bushings, Prothane Rack and Pinion Mount Bushings,

Www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363131

#20 Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 AM
TexasAxMan

Don't weld the spiders on anything you drive on the street! You can probably find a complete rearend w/LSD in a junk yard to swap out. Make sure it at least has 3.92 gears, better if it's 4.56.

2006 Silver QC Hemi 2WD
SnugLig Tonneau w/ Bed Rug
SuperChips 3815
eBay CAI
Motive 4.56's

2006 Black SC Hemi 2WD
SuperChips 3865
Bed Rug
eBay CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.