Engine compartment - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 AM
stubiePW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine compartment

What is the best method for cleaning the engine bay area? I went offroading this past weekend and got into more mud than expected and a lot got into that area. I am hesitant to use a hose and water, i've heard both good and bad. I need to get quite a bit off so any help is great! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Whiteout08

Don't hesitate to use a hose and water, it's perfectly safe. I just did mine a few weeks ago, but for some reason haven't downloaded the pics yet.

All I do is this...

- Cover alternator and battery
- Spray engine down with water
- Spray a liberal amount of Purple Power Citrus cleaner over the ENTIRE engine bay
- Use a soft bristle brush to scrub away any dirt...a toothbrush works good for hard to reach spots
- Thoroughly rinse off all the cleaner and dirt
- Blow dry or air dry

The next step is up to you, you can leave it cleaned or add some sort of protectant. I have always used the GUNK Engine Brite "SHINE" stuff. You just spray it on and it evens itself out on the surfaces and makes them look brand new.

When I get home, I'll see if I can get the pics I took and post them up here.

2014 RAM 1500 Express Crew Cab
"Bright White"
#3 Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM
watkins

little too late now but next time throw the vertical (oscillating) lawn sprinkler underneath before it drys out completely.
#4 Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
stubiePW

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
little too late now but next time throw the vertical (oscillating) lawn sprinkler underneath before it drys out completely.
Haha. I like that!
#5 Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Whiteout08

My flash doesn't work all that great so I didn't realize how dark these pictures turned out until now, hopefully you kind of get the idea though.

DSCN1054.JPG

DSCN1052.JPG

DSCN1050.JPG

DSCN1051.JPG

"Bright White"
#6 Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 AM
rotts4u

Be careful using the purple power caustic type sprays as they will etch aluminum. It usually DOES not list aluminum as one of the metals they are good for on the label. There is a simple green product called EXTREME that you will not find anywhere that is aluminum safe but perhaps the easiest thing to use is the foaming engine spray cleaner by Gunk. Get 2-3 cans if its really dirty and as already mentioned cover the critical electrical stuff like the alternator from heavy water flow and you will be fine.

I wet clean every car I have ever owned since 1980 and never had a problem once. A toothbrush helps get into tight areas as does one of those mitts that covers your hands so you dont bust up your knuckles while trying to reach in tight spots.
#7 Old 12-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Whiteout08

I have tried the GUNK cleaner before but never really liked how it turned out after...I've used the Purple Power Citrus cleaner for years on engines and never had any issues with the aluminum parts.

"Bright White"
#8 Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
stubiePW

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with the GUNK cleaner. I will say it did a good job. When I opened my hood, if I asked someone to point out a certain engine part, you couldn't. That's how much crap had splashed up and it was totally brown. I sprayed 3 cans, never used a brush or anything and most of it came off with just the foam sitting on there.
I am probably going to do another few cans to really clean it up (have some projector HIDs coming) and then maybe the Gunk shine.
Thanks again fellas
#9 Old 12-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Whiteout08

Glad to hear it worked out well, it's a satisfying feeling for sure.

"Bright White"
#10 Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM
TheSatinPumpkin
Low N Slow

All this text and no before and after pics of the bay.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubiePW View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with the GUNK cleaner. I will say it did a good job. When I opened my hood, if I asked someone to point out a certain engine part, you couldn't. That's how much crap had splashed up and it was totally brown. I sprayed 3 cans, never used a brush or anything and most of it came off with just the foam sitting on there.
I am probably going to do another few cans to really clean it up (have some projector HIDs coming) and then maybe the Gunk shine.
Thanks again fellas

_- under construction -_

#11 Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 AM
2012RedRam

I usually use some Simple Green, spray that all over, hose off with light pressure, then use a air hose to dry. I don't use the shine stuff because as soon as you hit a dirt road all the dust will stick to it and makes a bigger mess.

-2012 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crewcab 5.7L HEMI-
#12 Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM
2014LaramieCrew

No need for those harsh chemicals....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hose.jpg (11.2 KB, 124 views)

2014 Laramie 4x4 CC 6.5' bed
#13 Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 AM
stubiePW

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatinPumpkin View Post
All this text and no before and after pics of the bay.....
Haha, Yea, I know. This pic of the front of the truck is also what it looked like in the engine compartment. I mean you couldn't see anything. I am glad to see parts of the engine now.
I was going to get pics, but just never got around to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (775.2 KB, 11 views)
#14 Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM
FreeLantz
I'm Still Here

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012RedRam View Post
I usually use some Simple Green, spray that all over, hose off with light pressure, then use a air hose to dry. I don't use the shine stuff because as soon as you hit a dirt road all the dust will stick to it and makes a bigger mess.

For years my process has been pretty similar... Simple Green, scrub the extremely dirty areas only, then rinse, then dry. I will use STP Son of a Gun on the hoses and other rubber or plastic surfaces (it's not too greasy). When spraying down the engine, 1) make sure it's cold, and 2) be careful not to douse the fuse box, wiring connections, headlight housing, etc. A few drops of water won't hurt anything under there though.

David Lantz
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon "10th Anniversary"

Retired DT Admin
Co-President, Texas Four Wheel Drive Organization Sugar Land Chapter

facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing.

#15 Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Voodoo
Motφrhead For Life!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Simple Green to clean most any tire cleaner spray to shine.
do it cold & let it set for a bit after your finished..

2012 Ram 1500 TRADESMAN REGULAR CAB 4X2 8' BOX

Billet Technology Catch Can From moes-performance.com

"You Can't fix Stupid"

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.