CB's 2012 PW ST build thread - Page 5 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge RAM Power Wagon Forums (05 - Up) > 4G Ram Power Wagon Talk

Closed Thread

Juday

Posted: 10-18-2012, 07:11 AM
State: IN
Post #81

Nice! Looking at their website, their products look top notch! I really like that rear bumper design....

I can't wait to see how these turn out!

2012 RAM POWER WAGON
285/75R17 BFG KM2 | Carli Front Diff Guard | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 10-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 PW ST View Post
Truck finally went into shop today to get sliders made. Had to put it off a couple months as I've been in process of moving.

Brief details:
Inner/main tube 2" dia. x .120" DOM
Outer tube 1.75" dia. x .120" DOM
Frame mounts: 2" x 3" x .188" square tubing

Welded to frame. Should be stout enough without being too heavy. Estimating about 55 lb. per side.

Will post pics asap....should be done a week from this Friday at latest. Looking forward to finally having them.
This sounds great. Your truck is one of the baddest here on DT!
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

myoung84

Posted: 10-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Administrator
City: Broken Arrow
Post #83

Can't wait to see pics!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman

Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Vararam Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks @ 2.1" | Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Hemi

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Diablo inTune w/Hemifever Tuning | BT Oil Catch Can

2012 PW ST

Posted: 10-24-2012, 12:52 PM
CB
State: CO
Post #84

Thanks...can't wait for 'em to be done and post pics. Production is going slower than expected, but it's really hard to get 'em exact when you're dealing with side to side inconsistencies on these bodies & frames. They will be exact though and going to be sweet.

We think of these bodies as more or less straight until you put something truly straight up to it and see just how convex these cabs are.

They also vary slightly side to side in distance from the frame to the cab pinch seam. Then the way the bed tucks behind the cab creates a little visual challenge too.

With all that and the move I've got going on these won't be on & done until about Nov. 7. Post pics when I can.
Carli suspension/steering/Bilstein 5100s|Ranch Hand bumpers/headache rack/rails|Factory spray in bedliner|35/12.5/17 BFG KM2s on factory alloys|Lightforce 240 Blitz HIDs|"chassis cab auxiliary switch bank mod"|Highway Products toolbox|Cobra 75 CB|PROUD AMERICAN FLAG

2012 PW ST

Posted: 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM
CB
Post #85

My Armorology sliders are finally on. Very happy with them. Came in at 65 lb per side.

These were extremely difficult to get uniform to the body and side to side. Very labor intensive, but they nailed them. Ended up about a 1/4" tighter to the body than we shot for though.

Powdercoating is a subtle texture...some kind of "cross linked polymer" blend that is very durable & UV resistant. Awesome job by Spectrum Powdercoating in Co. Springs. Pretty much a perfect match to the factory flares too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1444 resize.jpg (262.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1445 resize.jpg (297.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1446 resize.jpg (253.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1447 resize.jpg (278.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1448 resize.jpg (217.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1449 resize.jpg (253.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1451 resize.jpg (185.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1452 resize.jpg (312.0 KB, 17 views)
Carli suspension/steering/Bilstein 5100s|Ranch Hand bumpers/headache rack/rails|Factory spray in bedliner|35/12.5/17 BFG KM2s on factory alloys|Lightforce 240 Blitz HIDs|"chassis cab auxiliary switch bank mod"|Highway Products toolbox|Cobra 75 CB|PROUD AMERICAN FLAG

trmat79

Posted: 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM
State: CA
Post #86

can they be used as a "step" at all or are they too tight to the body?

looks good !!!

Juday

Posted: 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Post #87

Those look great! Have you tested them to see if they deflect with the weight of the truck resting on them?

2012 RAM POWER WAGON
285/75R17 BFG KM2 | Carli Front Diff Guard | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights

2012 PW ST

Posted: 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
CB
Post #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmat79 View Post
can they be used as a "step" at all or are they too tight to the body?

looks good !!!
Thanks. Yes, they're barely steps which is what I wanted. You can get the ball of your foot and a couple toes on. I should've taken a pic with the door open.

trmat79

Posted: 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM
State: CA
Post #89

that would be cool if you get a chance... I really am looking for the same thing but they seem hard to find... did you need to take them to the shop to do or do you think I could get a set fabbed up and shipped?

2012 PW ST

Posted: 11-09-2012, 01:52 PM
CB
Post #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juday View Post
Those look great! Have you tested them to see if they deflect with the weight of the truck resting on them?
Thanks. We didn't take time to do the "forklift test". They'll deflect but will of course flex up a bit.

2012 PW ST

Posted: 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM
CB
Post #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmat79 View Post
that would be cool if you get a chance... I really am looking for the same thing but they seem hard to find... did you need to take them to the shop to do or do you think I could get a set fabbed up and shipped?
I'll see if I can get a door open pic soon. After seeing what they went through to get these fine tuned I don't see how you could not take them to the shop. If you had a set fabbed & shipped you would probably have to have the mounts made a bit longer than necessary so they could be trimmed as necessary prior to welding.

Even with that they still might not fit right with the way these bodies vary and the side to side variance of how they sit on the frame. Pinch weld angles vary too. I would be very leary of just having a set fab'd & shipped.

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
Post #92

Those turned out nice!
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

tompat

Posted: 12-01-2012, 08:46 AM
State: OTHER
Post #93

Can we order the rock rails from Armorology? I'm hopeful someone kept us in their thoughts

2012 PW ST

Posted: 12-01-2012, 10:49 AM
CB
Post #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompat View Post
Can we order the rock rails from Armorology? I'm hopeful someone kept us in their thoughts
Doubtful...you'll have to contact them and ask if they're willing to build a set without having your truck there. We learned through this process there can be quite a bit of side to side variation in frame to edge of truck dimensions on these trucks. They're really not in the business of building stuff just to ship without having the vehicle there.

If they build you a set they'll no doubt have to leave the mounts a little long so your installer could trim/fine tune. They're probably multiple weeks or months out on other projects too.

Good luck. Don't mean to be a downer. Just making you aware of what's involved in getting a set to fit right on our trucks.

Juday

Posted: 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Post #95

You don't happen to have a PN for that auxilary switch, do you? Since I'm looking into lighting for the Aluminess bumper, this seems the most logical (and cleanest) way to hook things up. I might have to get one of those Cobra CB radio's too........

2012 RAM POWER WAGON

2012 PW ST

Posted: 12-16-2012, 12:26 AM
CB
Post #96

Quote:
You don't happen to have a PN for that auxilary switch, do you? Since I'm looking into lighting for the Aluminess bumper, this seems the most logical (and cleanest) way to hook things up. I might have to get one of those Cobra CB radio's too........
I don't have the P/N for that aux switch bank handy but I think myoung has it in his build thread. Be sure to get the P/N for the pigtail that goes with it.
Cheapest to order from Factory Mopar Parts.com.

Also keep in mind, as others have noted in many other threads, these switches "power" the ground side of a relay. Plan accordingly. You can see in my build thread pics where I drew power from behind the dash to power the LEDs in the switches. Chose a constant hot source.

Let me know if you need additional help.

Yeah, I've used the Cobra 75 for years with good results. The control box for it fit nicely behind the base radio in my ST. Plenty of room for it. BUT, you have to take the dash panel off every time you want to hook the SWR meter to it. Luckily I know where I am on that with both antennas I use so I seldom have to do that.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

CB

Juday

Posted: 12-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Post #97

Good to know. I ordered the parts for the auxiliary switch and the pigtail yesterday. Hope I can get it all hooked up next weekend. That way, when the bumper/lights do come in, it'll be a simple hookup and I'll be up and running.

2012 RAM POWER WAGON

2012 PW ST

Posted: 12-19-2012, 09:10 PM
CB
Post #98

Quote:
Good to know. I ordered the parts for the auxiliary switch and the pigtail yesterday. Hope I can get it all hooked up next weekend. That way, when the bumper/lights do come in, it'll be a simple hookup and I'll be up and running.
Yup. Good call. That's the order I did things in.

See earlier in my build thread for the unused rubber nipple style grommet I used in the firewall to run wires through. Not sure if it's an unused one in SLTs but it's a handy one to use, even though it's a tight squeeze on the interior side between the cab exterior sheet metal and e-brake assembly.

Let me know if I can help further. Look forward to seeing your new bumper & lights!

12PowerWagonST

Posted: 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM
State: NC
Post #99

Awesome truck you've got there, looks great! I am envious of your build! Makes me wish I'd bought a white one! (mine's mineral gray) You've got the exact suspension setup I want, glad to hear that it works well! Love those sliders, they look great and will doubtless give your rockers great protection! (I am having trouble finding any sliders for our trucks, I may go Aluminess or have a local shop here fab some) I am going to have to get a set of those seat covers, do they work as well as it looks like they do?

2012 PW ST

Posted: 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM
CB
Post #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12PowerWagonST View Post
Awesome truck you've got there, looks great! I am envious of your build! Makes me wish I'd bought a white one! (mine's mineral gray) You've got the exact suspension setup I want, glad to hear that it works well! Love those sliders, they look great and will doubtless give your rockers great protection! (I am having trouble finding any sliders for our trucks, I may go Aluminess or have a local shop here fab some) I am going to have to get a set of those seat covers, do they work as well as it looks like they do?
Thanks and congrats on yours. Saw your thread over on PWR. I'm sure you got a solid deal on that one too.

Yeah, can't beat good ol' white for durability and ease of hiding desert pinstriping. The Carli setup (along with ball joints, etc.) certainly rides well and is now super solid, but it's had its share of issues too. I've got a lot of weight on back of my truck in terms of toolbox/contents, bumper, etc but I'd like the rear ride height to still maintain the factory rake under what really should be a moderate load.

Among other little surprises, their lower ball joints didn't clear my steering knuckles when turning left or right. Figured out we had to machine some off the knuckles to clear them...after destroying both brand new lower bj's. Replaced under warranty and luckily discovered when first happened near home and not out on trip somewhere. Could've been disastrous.

Carefully consider what your plans are for your truck. Questionable long term durability aside, the stock PW suspension setup is darn good and very capable as is. If you're not going to hang heavy bumpers on or try and stuff 35's on, get some mileage out of your stock setup and then modify down the road.

Yep, good sliders are hard to find for these. Some have gone the Aluminess route and sounds like most are happy. I wanted mine welded to frame so went the custom fab route. Certainly more time & expense going that way, but very happy with results.

Yeah, seat covers are awesome. Pricey and waited 2 months for them, but great fit and can't beat real Cordura if you want that kind of fabric. I need and like some water resistance in mine. Otherwise if I was strictly in a desert climate I'd go with something in a heavy, Carhartt type cotton canvas.

Start up a build thread on yours with pics! Let me know if I can help further.

Have a good'n.

CB

Last edited by 2012 PW ST : 01-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Closed Thread