3rd gen truggy build - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Off-Road Talk

Closed Thread

Abused_Hemi

3rd gen truggy build - Posted: 11-26-2012, 11:31 PM
City: saint elizabeth
State: MO
Post #1

hey guys figured i'd start posting up about my project i recently started. As title says building a truggy out of my 06 2500 crew cab 5.7L 6 speed. heres a lil bit about how the truck sat before i started, leveling kit and 37" maxxis trepador's on stock wheels, few minor motor mods and not much else. Look forward to what you guys think and input.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Abused_Hemi

Posted: 11-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Post #2

heres a pic of what i started with

[IMG][/IMG]

plans include lots of tube work, new suspension and long arms, locker in rear, welded front w/ lockouts and 4.56's with 40's on beadlocks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

D72Gladiator

Posted: 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM
DeeGladiator
City: SoCal
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abused_Hemi View Post
hey guys figured i'd start posting up about my project i recently started. As title says building a truggy out of my 06 2500 crew cab 5.7L 6 speed. heres a lil bit about how the truck sat before i started, leveling kit and 37" maxxis trepador's on stock wheels, few minor motor mods and not much else. Look forward to what you guys think and input.
really, on a 2500 crew cab? i gotta see this! am i missing something...no pics!
what kinda setup are you going with? beams, or a-arm LT? what kinda spindles you going with? custom made ones or stock?
i have so many more questions, but i have to see this first.
Custom Made Fold Down Roof Light Bar w/4 9" Hid's w/Internal Ballast
Custom Made Rear Runner Bar w/2 100w Off Road Lights
Custom Chrome Front Grille w/2 55w Offroad Lights
Fiberglass Extended Prerunner Fenders
3" Longer Rancho RS 5000 Shocks
33x12.50x15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrian T/A KM2
15x8 Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys
Pro Comp Xtreme Offroad Wheel rings
LED Turn Signal Lights w/Heated Mirrors
LED Red Tail Lights
McCullouch 8000K HID Headlights
Diamond Chrome Housing Headlamps
Royal Purple in ALL fluids
CAI w/K&N Filter
Optima Red Top Battery
Drilled and Slotted Front Rotors
Hawk HPS Brake Pads Front
Black Tinted Windows All Around
Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover - Powder Coated Hyper Silver
9.25 Auburn High Performance Series LSD
Gibson Superflow Muffler
Motive 4.56 gears

D72Gladiator

Posted: 11-26-2012, 11:44 PM
DeeGladiator
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

now i see the before pic.
looks like it's gonna be a chase truck.
LED Red Tail Lights
CAI w/K&N Filter
Optima Red Top Battery
Gibson Superflow Muffler
Motive 4.56 gears

Abused_Hemi

Posted: 11-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Post #5

now for some pics of the good stuff

rock sliders bent up from 2 3/8" O.D. 120 wall Dom

[IMG][/IMG]

still need to add some more braces from sliders to frame and also gonna add another tube off the side for more protection and to act as a step

D72Gladiator

Posted: 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM
DeeGladiator
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

suspension? what are you doing with that?
beams, or arms LT? spindles? steering...heim?
rear? linked?
LED Red Tail Lights
CAI w/K&N Filter
Optima Red Top Battery
Gibson Superflow Muffler
Motive 4.56 gears

Abused_Hemi

Posted: 11-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Post #7

main hoop bent up still with the 2 3/8", made it lil high over the cab but plan on doing full exo cage and building in a roof rack as well

[IMG][/IMG]

also cut bout 4" back on the frame and used 4" tube for my main bumper structure, 1 3/4" O.D. for bed rails

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

cut the factory receiver hitch and welded to the new bumper and also reinforced by boxing it in with 3/6" plate steel on front, back and underneath

[IMG][/IMG]

Abused_Hemi

Posted: 11-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D72Gladiator View Post
suspension? what are you doing with that?
beams, or arms LT? spindles? steering...heim?
rear? linked?
sorry didnt see this sooner, been busy trying to get all the pics up but as of now just planning on long travel arms prolly from pure performance, steering right now looks like will be going with thuren crossover kit with heims, also have a steering box brace from psc and still debating on whether or not to go hydro assist. have had lot of issues blowing stock pumps. rear right now also looking like i'll stay with leaf springs for awhile. atleast want to get everything else taking care of the possibly try linking and coil-overs. I still have lot to learn bout building four link setups though

Abused_Hemi

Posted: 11-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Post #9

here is with added 4" progressive coils from pure, had some king shocks but they ended up being to short so still need to order new shocks and new leaf pack for rear. Also added Airflow snorkel

[IMG][/IMG]

LARam567

Posted: 11-27-2012, 12:34 AM
City: New Orleans
State: LA
Post #10

Sub'd this is gonna be cool

07 Ram 1500 Sport:
Electric blue
Performance: Superchips VIVID, DMH Cutout, Magnaflow muffler dumped. (New exhaust setup soon to come)
Audio: Under Reconstruction

05SlvrBuLLet

Posted: 11-28-2012, 11:49 PM
City: Salida
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Looks Very Very Nice!!

Rammit06

Posted: 11-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Rammit06
State: NC
Post #12

Very nice!

Abused_Hemi

Posted: 11-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Post #13

after lil more thinking and commiting to making this a full blown wheeler i've decided to try and four link the rear with coil-overs. got a new fuel cell coming so now will start trying to figure that setup out as well since i will be removing the stock tank. not a whole lot of experience in building four link so if anyone has any input on that subject that would be greatly appriciated. will try to keep the pics coming along with the progress

98hemi-ram

Posted: 11-29-2012, 07:14 AM
City: Lindsay
State: ON
View This User's Garage
Post #14

Sub'd looks awesome so far.

98 Ram 1500 RCSB 2wd - 5.7 Hemi swapped
5.7 Hemi ,comp 260 cam, 87mm TB, 180* t-stat, EGR deleted, dual 14" electric fans, K&N cai, A/C deleted, diablo Intune 91 tune (custom tuning to come soon), sharadon stage 3 valve body, true duals with flowmaster super 44's and 70's challenger style tips, 4.10 gears, Detroit True-Trac, 3rd gen 20's, aftermarket 1pc headlights, LED tails/3rd brake lights, CREE LED reverse lights, blue LED dash, LED dome lights, LED strips in the box, red LEDs behind grill, 5% tinted windows, 2/4 drop, hard tonneau cover, BedRug box liner
15.01 @ 93.80mph

06 Ram 1500 QCSB 4x4
5.7 Hemi, superchips 91 tune, flowmaster super 40, leveled with bilstein 5100's, 5% tint all around, KC high lites behind the grill, CREE LED reverse lights, hard tonneau cover

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #15

This truck is going to be cool. I look forward to following the build thread.
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

myoung84

Posted: 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Administrator
City: Broken Arrow
Post #16

This is a sweet build! Keep the pics coming!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman

Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Vararam Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks @ 2.1" | Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Hemi

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Diablo inTune w/Hemifever Tuning | BT Oil Catch Can

D72Gladiator

Posted: 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM
DeeGladiator
View This User's Gallery
Post #17

with a 4 link setup you better truss the rearend...
and go with kings either double, or triple bypass, and bumps stops.
what kinda spindles you plan on running?

i see you're gonna cage it...personally i think caging it from the interior will be better.
gut everything out, and cage it with race seats.
don't forget to cage it from end to end, or you'll flex the hell out of it and break things.
...and the all important engine cage.
LED Red Tail Lights
CAI w/K&N Filter
Optima Red Top Battery
Gibson Superflow Muffler
Motive 4.56 gears

fultonwrestler

Posted: 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM
City: Fulton
Post #18

Subd!!!!!

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 5.7L HEMI Atlantic Blue and Bright silver
Blue Truck Club member #258

MODS:
Eagle Alloys Series 186 wrapped in 315/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's--Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares--Clear Corner Headlights--Weathertech Floor Mats--Elite Limit Hood Spears W/ HEMI Written Within (Bright Silver To Match Rockers)--Debadged--SRT10 Center Dash Bezel--K&N CAI--Ebay riveted RBP knockoff wide mouth grill--Superchips Tuner--electric exhaust cutout--magnaflow y-pipe

and an empty wallet

Abused_Hemi

Posted: 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by D72Gladiator View Post
with a 4 link setup you better truss the rearend...
and go with kings either double, or triple bypass, and bumps stops.
what kinda spindles you plan on running?

i see you're gonna cage it...personally i think caging it from the interior will be better.
gut everything out, and cage it with race seats.
don't forget to cage it from end to end, or you'll flex the hell out of it and break things.
...and the all important engine cage.
do plan on trussing the rear, stil trying to decide how i'm gonna truss the front without smashing my oil pan. also plan on running king air bump stops, Havent put much thought into bypass shocks, was just figuring on the 3.0 coilovers but guess maybe thats something i should look into? And as far as spindles and knuckles pretty much just stock componets with carli ball joints.

on the subject of the cage the main reason for doing an exo is body protection and to keep from smashing my windshield/frame, do plan on doing few bars inside though for structal support and to get some harness's mounted up

HEMI450HP

Posted: 11-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Moe's Performance
City: Conroe, TX
State: TX
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #20

Very cool build. Coilovers in the rear is going to be alot of work. You would be amazed at what you can achieve with the Carli/Thures leafs and some nice bypass shocks. That would be a much cheaper, and much easier route while still giving great performance.

What kind of wheeling are you looking to do?
Closed Thread