Another 2011 w/ 4.56s!!! - Page 5 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 – Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

michaeldavis35

Posted: 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM
City: Paragould
State: AR
Post #81

So is buying a new LSD tru trac for 4.56s only compatible for 2wd ? Or does it work with 4x4? And if it does work with 4x4 does your truck already have to have a Factory LSD cause mine does not?
2011 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4...6'' Rough Country, 1.25 RC Body lift, Bilsteins set at 2.1 and 38x13.50 toyo mt on 20X10 fuel throttle wheels custom painted, 5'' tips (Black ones coming soon), Vararam, 87MM ported TB, ..... AMP POWER STEPS, 4.56 Gears and Diablosport 93 Custom Tune!!!
38 13.50 R20 Toyo Mt for sale PM if interested...
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

greychevy

Posted: 11-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Bye bye 3rd Gen
City: Orlando
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI450HP View Post
Has anyone tried putting a factory non ZF limited slip in an 11 or 12? Last week I spoke to a tech that had installed this exact setup himself. I dont want to start selling these for the ZF rear until I am 100% confident that it is going to work. I am going to call them again Monday just to be sure that they didnt misunderstand me. We were specifically talking about the ZF rear, so I dont see how he could have misunderstood my questions though. I will confirm this Monday and post up some info here once I have some final answers.
I can't find that thread Matt. I want to say it was on another forumz and candy08 is who tried it. I could be wrong though. I do remember reading a thread where a guy tried installing non ZF 4.56's and a non ZF carrier and it wouldn't work.....I had just bought my front a rear 4.56's and was so pissed

First & only 4th gen 4x4 in the 12's NA 12.801 @ 103.63
2012 Black SC 4x4 1500 Ram w/hemi Coated 1-7/8" ARH longtubes, Vararam intake, Circle-D 3000, Moe's 87mm throttle body, Mopar V-6 fan, 180 t-stat, 2010 frontend swap/4.56 gears, Diablo trinity w HemiFever tune, AEM Wideband

BACK TO STOCK AND SOLD 9/28/2011! 2006 Black SC 4x4 1500 Dodge Ram w/ hemi, Inertia big valve heads, Comp 268 cam, Circle-D 3000 converter, Pacesetter long-tubes, Black Magic 180 efan, Summit 20% underdrive pulley, 4.56 gears w/ LDS, K&N intake, Diablo programmer with STU custom tune, Sonnax line booster, Trans Go HD shift kit, Spring Clamps, No Cats, 3" dual exhaust w/ Cutouts & Dynomax X-pipe muffler, AEM Wideband, 180 t-stat, 2.5 inch leveling kit, stock powder coated black 17" rims, 35x10.5 super swamper SSRs
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

BGRTHNURHEMI

Posted: 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM
State: OK
View This User's Gallery
Post #83

Michael - my 2011 1500 4x4 is having a 6" RCX lift and Motive 4.56s installed next week with a modified factory LSD carrier.

From talking to my 4wd shop and Matt at Moe's, the DTT with aftermarket gears will work in our 2011 ZF carriers and does not require any additional modifications. Not sure what the difference is in the bolt holes in the DTT carrier compared to the factory LSD, but apparently there is some difference.

If I had known this, I probably would have gone this route. However, I already purchased a factory LSD that had been redrilled as that is what my shop told me they've done in the past with great success.

As a side note, I'm also selling the factory LSD that is coming out of my 2011 (20,xxx miles) that you could send to Candy08 and have him redrill it. It would be way cheaper than spending $500+ on a DTT. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.
A.R.E. tonneau cover, 5% window tint, Husky molded mud flaps, Airlift 1000 bags, Debadged, Bestop Power Boards, Go Industries Rancher Grille Guard, Depo Black Headlights, Lamin-X fogs and 3rd brake light, Recon LED Tails with LED backup lights, Tailgate Ladder
Interior
Autometer Cobalt boost, AFR and fuel pressure gauges, 2 Alpine SWR-12D subs, Ported Foxbox, 2 Hifonics BRX1100.1d amps, NVX 1/0 gauge, MTX 7804 4 channel amp, Audio Control LC2i, JBL GTO938 6x9 front and rear, MTX TDX35 in dash, NVX Sound Deadener, Husky floor mats
Performance
Ripp Supercharger , Magnaflow 12588 22" muffler, Borla 5" tips, resonators removed, Billet Tech catch can, 87mm Moe's Performance TB, ARH Longtube Headers 1 3/4" Primaries, 3" Merge Collectors, 3" Y-Pipe (With Cats), Diablo Trinity Tuner, V6 Fan Mod, Motive 4.56 gears, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Redrilled LSD, Mag-Hytec Deep Transmission Pan and Edge 2600 Stall Billet Converter, Big 3
Lift, Tires, Wheels
6" RCX Lift, Kore Bilstein 5100s set at 1.5", Bilstein Rear 5125 Shocks (33-187228), BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit, 35x12.50r20 Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials, 20x10 -24mm Moto Metal 961 wheels

HEMI450HP

Posted: 11-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Moe's Performance
City: Conroe, TX
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by greychevy View Post
I can't find that thread Matt. I want to say it was on another forumz and candy08 is who tried it. I could be wrong though. I do remember reading a thread where a guy tried installing non ZF 4.56's and a non ZF carrier and it wouldn't work.....I had just bought my front a rear 4.56's and was so pissed
Do you remember why they said it wouldnt work? I only ask because I confirmed with my shop again yesterday, and they said they have installed this exact setup on 3 ZF trucks in the past couple months. I would hate to have someone get into the middle of the install only to find that there is an issue reguarding fitment though, so I am still skeptical about advertising this setup for the 11's and 12's until I see it done myself.

jayincali

Posted: 11-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Yo Daddy
City: So Cal. I.E.
State: CA
Post #85

Thats why I'm not pulling the trigger just yet. I don't want my shop to be elbows deep in an install to find out it won't work. But might have to be the guinea pig just so we know if it will work or not.

greychevy

Posted: 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Bye bye 3rd Gen
View This User's Gallery
Post #86

Quote:
Do you remember why they said it wouldnt work? I only ask because I confirmed with my shop again yesterday, and they said they have installed this exact setup on 3 ZF trucks in the past couple months. I would hate to have someone get into the middle of the install only to find that there is an issue reguarding fitment though, so I am still skeptical about advertising this setup for the 11's and 12's until I see it done myself.
This is gonna sound stupid but it seems like it had something to do with one of the axle shafts not reaching the non-ZF carrier....I can't quite remember though.

If I would of thought there was any chance of a non-ZF carrier working in a 2011+ Ram I would of tried it.....I was under the impression that it had been tried and didn't work though. I'm hoping someone gives it a try soon and it works

2012 Black SC 4x4 1500 Ram w/hemi Coated 1-7/8" ARH longtubes, Vararam intake, Circle-D 3000, Moe's 87mm throttle body, Mopar V-6 fan, 180 t-stat, 2010 frontend swap/4.56 gears, Diablo trinity w HemiFever tune, AEM Wideband

BACK TO STOCK AND SOLD 9/28/2011! 2006 Black SC 4x4 1500 Dodge Ram w/ hemi, Inertia big valve heads, Comp 268 cam, Circle-D 3000 converter, Pacesetter long-tubes, Black Magic 180 efan, Summit 20% underdrive pulley, 4.56 gears w/ LDS, K&N intake, Diablo programmer with STU custom tune, Sonnax line booster, Trans Go HD shift kit, Spring Clamps, No Cats, 3" dual exhaust w/ Cutouts & Dynomax X-pipe muffler, AEM Wideband, 180 t-stat, 2.5 inch leveling kit, stock powder coated black 17" rims, 35x10.5 super swamper SSRs

candy08

Posted: 11-27-2012, 10:29 PM
City: BlyVegas
Post #87

from an old post........eaton truetrac (carrier) part number 913a368 9.25 12 bolt axle/ usa standard 4.10 ring and pinion which is made by eaton/yukon # zg cp.25-411 along with the master rebuild kit yukon yk c9.25-r-a. recived the parts in 3 days. lifted the truck up the next day and started working on it. took the tires off, took the diff pan off, took the drive shaft off, took the pinion nut off, pulled the pinion seal,took the axle clips off , pulled the axles out, took the caps for the carrier off, pulled the carrier out, and knocked out the pinion race. we then cleaned the diff case out. we had all the special tools youll ever need. things we noticed, rear axles have abs rings on them instead of the sensor on the top of the pumpkin. note ram 1500 2010 models and down dont have abs rings on the axle shafts, also axle shafts on the 2011 ram 1500s are slightly different in length. (the right axle being the shorter one but you cant really tell unless you put them side by side.) so here we go all the pinion bearings, carrier bearings, races, seals and crush sleve fit perfect ( master rebuild kit). the new ring gear and pinion seemed to fit fine along with the truetrac carrier. pinion depth was good. we got the back lash right on the money from the start. along with awesome markings( not to much toe or to much heal) bolted everything down to exact tourqe specs. almost done and mu budy told me it takes mind you it took us 1 1/2 hours to get almost being done. finally we put i the axle shafts and we both walk over to the diff to put the axle clips on and crap... the left shaft is pushed in way over to the right of being in the center of the carrier and the right shaft is not long enough to put the clip in. so we messed with this thing for about 2 hours. we tryed everthing to make the axels fit. switched the shafts over since they where different lengths to see if that would at least allow us to put both clips in that didnt work so we finally pushed the carrier over to one side that allowed us to put one clip on and pushed it all th way over to the other side to put the other clip on. but now we had a brake issue because the left axle was way to far in. it was hell!!!! i got so pissed i called the manufacturer (eaton) and they told that i was the 4th person to call and tell the what happen and the product didnt fit. they told my friend jorge that if he could give the specs and pictures and a step by step on everything .. they told him after that to call monday morning with everthing and that they have an engineer in houston to come look at it as well so they can get specs to start making a carrier that works. im trying to put pis up but it keeps telling me file to large...

Would like to know how your shop got these to work...or if their just confused to what their working on

'11 CREWCAB SPORT 4X4 / SUNROOF / ALPINE / NAV / REMOTE START / TRAILER BRAKE

AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!

TRUCK IS FOR SALE

greychevy

Posted: 11-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Bye bye 3rd Gen
View This User's Gallery
Post #88

Thanks candy08.....it was pissing me off that I couldn't find that post. I knew I wasn't crazy and had seen it somewhere

candy08

Posted: 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Post #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by greychevy View Post
Thanks candy08.....it was pissing me off that I couldn't find that post. I knew I wasn't crazy and had seen it somewhere
haha no problem. You were right on the money anyhow

TRUCK IS FOR SALE

HEMI450HP

Posted: 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Moe's Performance
City: Conroe, TX
State: TX
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy08 View Post
from an old post........eaton truetrac (carrier) part number 913a368 9.25 12 bolt axle/ usa standard 4.10 ring and pinion which is made by eaton/yukon # zg cp.25-411 along with the master rebuild kit yukon yk c9.25-r-a. recived the parts in 3 days. lifted the truck up the next day and started working on it. took the tires off, took the diff pan off, took the drive shaft off, took the pinion nut off, pulled the pinion seal,took the axle clips off , pulled the axles out, took the caps for the carrier off, pulled the carrier out, and knocked out the pinion race. we then cleaned the diff case out. we had all the special tools youll ever need. things we noticed, rear axles have abs rings on them instead of the sensor on the top of the pumpkin. note ram 1500 2010 models and down dont have abs rings on the axle shafts, also axle shafts on the 2011 ram 1500s are slightly different in length. (the right axle being the shorter one but you cant really tell unless you put them side by side.) so here we go all the pinion bearings, carrier bearings, races, seals and crush sleve fit perfect ( master rebuild kit). the new ring gear and pinion seemed to fit fine along with the truetrac carrier. pinion depth was good. we got the back lash right on the money from the start. along with awesome markings( not to much toe or to much heal) bolted everything down to exact tourqe specs. almost done and mu budy told me it takes mind you it took us 1 1/2 hours to get almost being done. finally we put i the axle shafts and we both walk over to the diff to put the axle clips on and crap... the left shaft is pushed in way over to the right of being in the center of the carrier and the right shaft is not long enough to put the clip in. so we messed with this thing for about 2 hours. we tryed everthing to make the axels fit. switched the shafts over since they where different lengths to see if that would at least allow us to put both clips in that didnt work so we finally pushed the carrier over to one side that allowed us to put one clip on and pushed it all th way over to the other side to put the other clip on. but now we had a brake issue because the left axle was way to far in. it was hell!!!! i got so pissed i called the manufacturer (eaton) and they told that i was the 4th person to call and tell the what happen and the product didnt fit. they told my friend jorge that if he could give the specs and pictures and a step by step on everything .. they told him after that to call monday morning with everthing and that they have an engineer in houston to come look at it as well so they can get specs to start making a carrier that works. im trying to put pis up but it keeps telling me file to large...

Would like to know how your shop got these to work...or if their just confused to what their working on
I am going to forward this to them. They told me that aside from having to use a few shims, everything went in easily. I will post back in here after they read your post. Thank you for posting this.

candy08

Posted: 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Post #91

Quote:
I am going to forward this to them. They told me that aside from having to use a few shims, everything went in easily. I will post back in here after they read your post. Thank you for posting this.
Sounds good. I havent followed up on the gears or carriers since last winter when I got mine. There could be something out now and alot would benefit from your findings.

TRUCK IS FOR SALE

smoothee

Posted: 11-28-2012, 12:17 PM
City: St. John's
State: NF
Post #92

TOTALLY blacked out; debadged; tinted; custom Billet Badges front and rear; smoked Phillips LED tails, puddles, fogs & 3rd; Retroshop HID's (55W 5000K heads, 55W 3000K fogs) and LED conversion; Diablo Trinity w/ HemiFever 91 tune; AR 1 7/8" LT Headers; S&B CAI; Magnaflow 14"; QTP E-Cutout; MBRP 5" Black Tips; Moe's 87mm TB; JET 180 Stat; V6 Elec. Fan; BT Catch Can; BT Red Engine Dress Up Kit; Circle D 3000 Stall Converter; 18" matte black Method Racing Fat Five Wheels; 35x12.5R18 Toyo Open Country AT II's; RC 4" lift; Bilstein's up front; Bushwacker Pocket flares; BedRug over spray in; auto tailgate lock; DeeZee tailgate assist; aux. switch panel; added tow hooks; Husky Weatherbeater floor mats; Westin Light Bar w/ four Hella 500 (55W 3000K HID conversion); Kicker audio overhaul; Alpine Nav. Headunit; US Speedo white gauge cluster; Interior paint; AMP PowerSteps...

Now just gotta get me some 4:56's and boost!

KCCO!!

djtecthreat

Posted: 12-15-2012, 01:56 PM
QCSB 5.7L Hemi
City: Worcester
State: MA
Post #93

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I just got an '09 1500 Hemi Crew Cab and I made the silly assumption that buying a Big Horn with 20's and almost every option would mean I got the 3.92's w/ LSD like my basic '03 1500 SLT Hemi w/ stock 17's had.

Well... Wrong, I notice the truck performs well, but I still think my '03 might pull on it. I can't feel the rear end locking up like I'm used to. I requested the build sheet, and sure enough open 3.55's, w.t.f...

Here I am thinking 4.56's are a must, I want it to be better than my '03. I've been searching around for a "kit" because I don't want to machine anything. I want to do the work myself.

Has anyone tried this?
http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledet...RPOSCRY925-456

Looks like it's everything in a kit for a swap. I don't care if the front is open, because I don't off-road this truck.

Front gears..
http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledet..._id=MOT:C8-456

New truck: White '09 Ram 1500 Hemi Big Horn Crew Cab. Bone stock for now except for a Line-X spray in bed liner.

Old truck: Deep Red '03 Ram 1500 Hemi QC (Lots of mods and goodies over the time I owned it).

jayincali

Posted: 12-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Yo Daddy
Post #94

Well you have an '09, so you are good to go on any carrier and gear combo you want. Only '11's and up have issues with gear swaps.

BTW have we heard anymore on the '11 and up gear swaps?

djtecthreat

Posted: 12-17-2012, 08:25 AM
QCSB 5.7L Hemi
City: Worcester
State: MA
Post #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayincali View Post
Well you have an '09, so you are good to go on any carrier and gear combo you want. Only '11's and up have issues with gear swaps.
Doh. Did not know that. 4.56's here we go. Thanks Jay!

New truck: White '09 Ram 1500 Hemi Big Horn Crew Cab. Bone stock for now except for a Line-X spray in bed liner.

Old truck: Deep Red '03 Ram 1500 Hemi QC (Lots of mods and goodies over the time I owned it).

jayincali

Posted: 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Yo Daddy
Post #96

So had to bring this back.

I pulled this off another forum. So if I am reading this correctly, a 2011+ with a ZF rear you can pretty mcuh pull the guts out and install a TruTrac and any gears you wish?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is to clear this out between the two axle in our dodge ram 1500 , if you think changing ratio to your truck , carefully check the rear end and the front diff

ok as the title says all the 2011 + rear end diff as the new zf axle internal, well it is a 9.25 chrysler with a zf interrior. i compare the two carrier bearing etc.. it's all the same except for the bolt in ring gear the zf is a lot bigger than the older 9.25, the axle spline are the same, so the ZF is a lot heavy duty interior for the ring gear bigger bolt,
so if you wanna go 4.56 you have 2 choice, the first is to swap a 9.25 chrysler carrier and you can put every ratio you want as before , and 2, drill out the new ring gear and tap new thread to bolt straight to new zf interior.

as for the front all the 2011 and older are the lucky one
the diif in the front is a 8 inch chrysler , same as the older 2002 to 2011 ram 1500 except for the 2002 - 2005 as the manual shift for 4x4 but they all the same diff, so for the 4.56 on the front end is just a swap gear. on the 2012 + it is the same as 2011 except the ring gear is solder to the carrier and it is a new internal zf too so the only thing you can do is to swap the entire front diff for a 2006-2011 ifs 8 inch chrysler
i just ordered my front and rear gear , i will post picture of the install and the 2 carrier difference

jayincali

Posted: 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Yo Daddy
Post #97

Nevermind... The fellow that posted this added today that the axles are different sizes, so you would need to swap the axles as well to make this work.
Closed Thread