1984 w150 stepside help! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1972-1987 Dodge Ram Trucks (D, W-series)

Closed Thread

DPW

1984 w150 stepside help! - Posted: 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM
City: Calgary
State: AB
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #1

Hey guys. I just bought a 1984 w150 stepside, and It runs amazing and is in decent shape. Today I took the gauge cluster cover off to put the 4x4 engaged light on. I had to take stereo off to get the cover off. I also hit the switch between the emerg brake release and the hood release by accident. The truck wont turn on now.... I have no clue what I did. But the ignition buzzer doesnt even turn on when I go to start her up. My battery is fine as I can still play the stereo and lights/gauges work... What does the switch between the two releases do, and why wont my truck start? please help! thanks guys.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Roanoker494

Posted: 11-25-2012, 06:25 PM
City: Glade Hill
State: VA
Post #2

Could you possibly post a picture of this switch? I don't know of any switches down there that would keep if from starting, but I am not as familiar with the electronics on the 80's model trucks. Will the engine crank over but not start or nothing happens when you turn the key?

EDIT:
The only things that I can think of that would keep it from starting, located in that general area, would be the ignition switch and the amp meter.

DPW

Posted: 11-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Post #3

I will post a pic of the switch tomorrow after work. And the engine doesnt even turn over. nothing happens when i turn the ignition.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

DPW

Posted: 11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Post #4

It may be the amp meter, I took the heater lever assembly out to find the 4x4 light wire, and must of knocked the amp meter wire loose or something. I will look tomorrow after work. I'll also post a pic of that switch.

Roanoker494

Posted: 11-25-2012, 10:10 PM
City: Glade Hill
State: VA
Post #5

I can not say if your 84 is like my 78 but those amp meters are a great source of heartache when they decide to burn out, mine was bypassed long ago because of this.

DPW

Posted: 11-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Post #6

Okay. I will get back to you tomorrow afternoon. What exactly does the amp meter do?

maachine

Posted: 11-26-2012, 08:29 AM
City: Hammond
State: LA
Post #7

it just shows how much draw (amps) is coming out of your battery. ammeter by the way

about that switch.....i dont know of any switches in between the 2 releases. only thing i have really heard of is the posi lock cable. the instructions for the cable installs it right there. its a black handle with a red button on it?

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html
LA 360 bored .030 over, EQ Magnum heads, Hooker Headers, true dual exhaust, Holley 4160 w/Truck Avenger parts, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake, StreetFire ignition box & MSD coil
208 t-case/727A trans w/3.23 gears

Warlock's Dad

Posted: 11-26-2012, 04:54 PM
City: Houston
State: TX
Post #8

And just to be on the safe side, why don't you put a charger on your battery tonight.

And if it's not the mystery switch, I'd probably pull the radio again and make sure everything else near where you were working is is plugged in tight with no corrosion or loose grounds.

Grady
Poly steering "rag joint" and steering box braced
Poly mounts/bushings, springs & suspension parts
Upgraded cooling & fans
Front Sway Bar added

DPW

Posted: 11-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Post #9

I'm on my way home now. I am going to pull the radio again and check all the wiring behind there. And behind the gauge cover as well. My battery is fine. I checked her last night. Just bought it two weeks ago. Hopefully I'll fix it tonight. I'll post a pic of that stupid switch in about an hour. I can't even think of anything what it might be. Maybe trailer brakes? Frig idk

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

DPW

Posted: 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Post #10

The switch is a toggle switch. With a red light that lights up when you flip it up.

DPW

Posted: 11-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Post #11

K so this is the switch. Its almost dark now and I have a flashlight on it so hopefully you guys can see. I'm about to take all the shit back off and check the wires now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1353973682150.jpg (47.4 KB, 13 views)

DPW

Posted: 11-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Post #12

uploadfromtaptalk1353973806504.jpg

maachine

Posted: 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Post #13

Ya that's not a factory thing. Maybe for a trailer or maybe some after market lights. You'll have to chase the wires to figure that one out. As someone mentioned, double check your work. Main feed of power goes through the ammeter.
LA 360 bored .030 over, EQ Magnum heads, Hooker Headers, true dual exhaust, Holley 4160 w/Truck Avenger parts, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake, StreetFire ignition box & MSD coil

dodgensince74

Posted: 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Post #14

could be some one installed it as a kill switch
Magnaflow S/i-D/o
K&N cai
Eagle alloy 102's
BFG LT285/75r16 A/T's

DPW

Posted: 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Post #15

Alright guys, sorry for the big cafuffle about the switch. I'm an idiot, its just the flood lights on the front... So that is solved. I took the dash back off and checked all the wires and shit and I found a few couplers that weren't connected. I can't for the life of me find where they go. I found something else out though. When I turn the ignition to just before starting position, all my stereo, lights and aftermarket gauges work. I have a volt meter that shows about 10 volts. But when I try to start the truck everything shuts off. Even the volt meter. Also, the red engine oil light is on, and the ammeter(which I'm assuming is on the left side of the gauge cluster) is right in the middle, but doesnt move. This is getting so frustrating. And its not like I can drive it to the shop. Even if I could drive it there, I still would like to fix it myself.

DPW

Posted: 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Post #16

So normally when the ignition is turned on you will hear the buzzer right? I dont hear it now and I can't even here the starter trying to engage. Absolutely nothing happens when I try to start it except everything turns off. Could it be something with the fuses, or the starter motor? Oh and another thing, I took the air filter off to see the diameter of the mouth of the carb, and then put it back on. This was the day before I took the stereo out. Could there be something I missed when I pulled the air filter off?

Warlock's Dad

Posted: 11-26-2012, 10:22 PM
City: Houston
State: TX
Post #17

[quote=DPW;4450183 When I turn the ignition to just before starting position, all my stereo, lights and aftermarket gauges work. I have a volt meter that shows about 10 volts. But when I try to start the truck everything shuts off. Even the volt meter.
[/QUOTE]

Turning the starter on can/will kill everything else while cranking. That's so all the juice goes to the starter.

Your problem is the the starter doesn't click or crank - correct?

I'd trouble shoot by working backward from the starter; do you have power there?

Least likely is the ignition switch, more likely the starter components. Somewhere in the middle range is a stray bad connection, but more likely for you b/c you have extra unconnected connectors. Grady
Poly steering "rag joint" and steering box braced
Poly mounts/bushings, springs & suspension parts
Upgraded cooling & fans
Front Sway Bar added

DPW

Posted: 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Post #18

There has been so many wires just clipped, and left there. Speaker wires and shit stuffed everywhere! I wish the previous owner was a little more meticulous lol. I'm definitely getting a new wire harness. I just want it to run for now. God dam. I'm going to have to wait until the weekend to really work on it. I work all day and its dark by the time I get home. I'll pick away at it with trouble lights until then.

maachine

Posted: 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Post #19

did you check the fusible links? its a block on the drivers side wheel well. it looks like a triangle rubber block with one big wire coming into it and 3 or 4 wires coming out. look at those 3 or 4 wires for anything weird. if you need a pic, let me know

DPW

Posted: 11-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Post #20

I noticed those when I looked under the hood. I will check tomorrow. I wish I never tried to get the dam 4x4 light on. Everything would be fine. My dad has a 79 d100 and he said it has a resistor in that location. Does the 84 have that? I might just go to napa and get all the parts that are in the ignition system. Aside from the starter itself.

Closed Thread