How can an X pipe be good? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 – Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM Performance Talk

Closed Thread

mikeb33

How can an X pipe be good? - Posted: 11-25-2012, 01:56 PM
City: Barrington
State: IL
Post #1

I understand having connection between pipes can help balance the exhaust pressure and help scavenge like older H-pipes. But when you take two 2.5" steams of hot, flowing exhaust gas and cross them, making them occupy the same space for a small time, it seems like a restriction to me. It's like two 2.5" pipes into one 2.5" pipe then back into two.
If the motor is idling, you might imagine alternating putts, just missing each other, but at 2K RPM & up, it is like 2 solid streams colliding with each other?
Anybody follow me on this?

Advertisement

SikHemi

Posted: 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Mopar Or No Car
City: 08360
State: NJ
Post #2

Back pressure. Straight pipes sound like junk and I lose power
ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
3" catback true duals w/ x-pipe
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
plastidiped grill & tailgate ram
stubby antenna
Line-X
Morimoto 5Five 6K heads & fogs
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

mikeb33

Posted: 11-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Post #3

Thank for the detailed explanation!
I never said anything about straight pipes. I understand how the right muffler(s) and proper size pipes keep proper velocity up, but I don't understand how an X does anything but harm.

SikHemi

Posted: 11-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #4

Put one on and see. I'm sure if they harmed your vehicle people wouldn't have them on.
ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

SikHemi

Posted: 11-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #5

And don't buy one. Any real exhaust shop can make one for about $15. They can also make the spot where you say the air sits a little longer. I had mine made just for that reason. Ones you show look too small
ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

stricnine

Posted: 11-25-2012, 05:06 PM
RANGO
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Not sure if you can see it above the exhaust brace but X Pipes are stock on the Charger

From my understanding many manufacturers as well as gear heads switched to x pipes because they were not as loud as an H pipe, provided better fuel efficiency and works well with today's emissions equipment. I can't see how it would be a bad thing. lol

2011 Charger R/T w/ Eibach Pro Line drop springs, MOPAR Intake, Twin FM Super 44's, 20" Torque Thrust M Limited Edition

mikeb33

Posted: 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Post #7

I know they are out there and are viewed as a good thing, I just don't understand why. It seems like making 2 flows of exhaust gas occupy the same space at the same time would be a restriction?

RamLion

Posted: 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Victims arent we all
City: Temple/Waco
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #8

i robbed this from another site on the web,,its collectively all the post on that particular thread summed into one

X-pipes have consistently shown an additional 10 HP or so more than true dual exh. It allows more efficient scavenging and reduces retrograde pressure waves from causing exh. gas reversion. They also drop the sound level a notch, also. An H pipe does the same thing, but not as efficiently and is more difficult to properly place. from a z28 website

SikHemi

Posted: 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #9

^^^ What he said.
ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

Chick Nasty

Posted: 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Post #10

Running an x pipe on my mustang, def love it ... can feel a little power increase over the stock H pipe ...it is quieter BUT of you are running straight pipes than it helps with back pressure as well as sound

The setup i have on my stang:

2003 Roush Mustang - His
2004 Ford Mustang - Hers

Past:
2007 Ford Fusion
2008 BMW 335i Sport

Last edited by Chick Nasty : 11-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.

BlackRamHemi

Posted: 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM
The Black Mamba
City: Edmonton, Alberta
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb33 View Post
I know they are out there and are viewed as a good thing, I just don't understand why. It seems like making 2 flows of exhaust gas occupy the same space at the same time would be a restriction?
The exhaust pulses from the left bank are not likely to reach the x at the exact same time as those from the right bank, as a result a vacuum is created with the leading pulse pulling the trailing pulse...aka scavenging

Google exhaust scavenging for a more detailed explanation.

Murdered... Lowered... Alcohol Injected... Blowered!

GotRPM

Cool  Posted: 11-25-2012, 09:36 PM
State: TX
Post #12

Quote:
The real answer is that the gas from two cylinders does not occupy the same space at the same time. The gas comes in pulses, not a continuous flow. This happens very quickly of course, but it does happen. If it did not, then exhaust tuning (headers, etc,) would not work. But they do work.

brentwood

Posted: 11-25-2012, 11:08 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

is there a performance benefit replacing y pipe single in, double out setup with a dual w/x-pipe setup?

2nd question: performance difference between duals w/x-pipe dual mufflers vs. dual in dual out 1 muffler with internal x-pipe?

'12 Ram 1500 QC Express 4x4 w/5.7 HEMI

Mods: Curt trailer hitch, Rhino liner, FLOWMASTER 50hd, JBA shorty headers titanium ceramic coated, 17x9 xd cranks, vht nightshade tail lights and 3rd brake light, magnaflow y-pipe, stubby antenna, partial debadge, plasti dip badges, edge street 2800 tc, diablosport trinity hemifever 93 octane tune, 180 t-stat, black headlight housings, sylvania silverstar zxe bulbs, rancho quick lift loaded, rancho rs9000xl rear shocks, mickey thompson baja mtz 35x12.5x17, vararam air grabber

future mods: ?? pretty happy with my truck for now

badblackram

Posted: 11-25-2012, 11:43 PM
City: brookhaven
State: MS
Post #14

Kind of long but came across this write up:

How And Why "X"-Pipes Work
By Bruce Wayne, MagnaFlow Performance
There has been an enormous amount of press about getting more out of performance exhaust systems. By incorporating "cross-over" or "X"- pipes in dual pipe systems, to balance out flow, many enthusiasts have found an extra edge. However, the perception is that this is new technology. Nothing could be further from the truth. But, why is an "X" pipe better than an "H"?

The reason an X-Pipe crossover works better than an H-pipe crossover isn't more flow because of volume, but more effective use of exhaust gas velocity. Exhaust gas (or air) has surface tension, and flows much like liquid would through the same pipe system. As the cylinders of each bank on a "V" style motor fire, they create a pulse in the system. The pulses will alternate back and forth from bank to bank as the motor runs. With multiple cylinders, such as a V-8, the eight cylinders alternately fire creates lots of pulses in the system.

If you put your hand behind the tailpipe, it would feel like a constant flow of air, but what it really is a lot of singular pulses giving the impression of constant flow. The idea behind the H and X style crossover is to unite the two banks of cylinders for better exhaust gas scavenging. Instead of two separate banks of four cylinders doing their own work, the crossover uses the pulse created by a firing cylinder of one bank to create a vacuum in the other bank because of surface tension. When a cylinder of the other bank is ready to fire, instead of the piston having to force the exhaust gas out of the cylinder, the vacuum that was created by the other cylinder bank helps suck the exhaust gas out of the cylinder, hence the term "scavenging."

Whenever you can reduce the load on an internal combustion engine, you are likely going to see performance and efficiency benefits. The difference between an H and X crossover is a smoother path for the exhaust gas to follow. Exhaust gas, like a liquid, will follow a path with the least amount of resistance. An H crossover has a path with two sharp 90-degree angles that are close together. An X crossover has a path with a much more gradual bend to allow the exhaust gases to continue their path back out to the ends of the tailpipes, rather then turning sideways for a short distance, then turn again to head out the tailpipes. Smooth flow with high velocity means more power by use of scavenging. Using an exhaust system with too large of piping diameter work against scavenging in the same way that running an exhaust with too small of tubing chokes the motor and forces it to work harder to expel the exhaust gases.

2006 Ram 1500
4.7L- Gibson S/S ceramic shorties
Flex-a-lite 183 e-fan kit
Catless w/ 12279 magnaflow
Apm ram air hood w/ ram air intake
Painted grille, bumper, & handles
Painted headlights w/ Retrofitted morimoto projectors
Power slot rotors
Diablo Sport Trinity with Hemifever tune
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
4.56 motive gears & Detroit Truetrac
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

mikeb33

Posted: 11-26-2012, 06:55 AM
Post #15

Thank you for that good explanation. Do you think it matters where the X pipe is in the system? On oem exhaust they are usually close to the front. I was thinking of using a Magnaflow "True X Muffler" in the stock location, but that is further back than our Y pipe or the normal X pipe location.

SnowX4

Posted: 11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
State: BC
Post #16

Will the internal X work properly if the both pipes going into it are different lengths? (left side crossing under the trans and and meeting the right side with the DI/DO in the stock location)
2008 Ram 1500 HEMI QC TRX4 4x4, Daystar 2" leveling kit, 285/70-17 Federal Couragia M/Ts on black ION alloy 179, street-scene roll pan, Airaid Intake, Superchips 3865 91 tune+ trans tuning, Pacesetter L/T headers, off-road y-pipe, single 3inch with two magnaflow mufflers and magnaflow 4inch tip, Comp Cams XFI 260, 6.1 valve springs and pushrods, Summit 20% underdrive pulley

armstrong87

Posted: 11-26-2012, 08:37 PM
State: LA
Post #17

Im wanting to utilze the stock 2.5" size but adding a magnaflow x pipe where the stock y is. And going 2.5" all the way back. Will this be performance beneficial on a 10 ram hemi w/ sc flashpaq, s&b intake, and a hand ported throttle body. Or will it be a waste of time.

Btw as of now i have a flowmaster 2.5" in. And 3" out scavenger y pipe. Utilizing the factory duals.

SikHemi

Posted: 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #18

Intake= more air in. So yes it would help.
ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

armstrong87

Posted: 11-26-2012, 09:44 PM
State: LA
Post #19

I see you went with 3" w/ a x-pipe did it help you or hurt.

SikHemi

Posted: 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #20

I think it helped. With cai I got 19.4. After new heavier wheels I'm at 18.3 on plus gas without a tuner. I plan on headers when tuner comes out.
ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X
Closed Thread