Wheeling while helping others: 4xFound INPUT PLEASE!!! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Off-Road Talk

Closed Thread

vinnie35

Lightbulb Wheeling while helping others: 4xFound INPUT PLEASE!!! - Posted: 09-05-2012, 10:53 PM
City: Ames, Iowa
State: IA
Post #1

Hello all,

I'm hoping I can get some great feedback about a possible 4x4 non-profit i'm attempting to start: 4xFound

My name's Vince and I'm relatively new to the DodgeTalk world. I've been wheeling (or attempting to wheel ) my 03' 1500 since before I got my license. I wanted to post this thread here in the 4x4 section because many of you have undoubtedly had similar thoughts and experiences to those I'm about to convey. I have always enjoyed good 4x4 action, as well as helping others. Over the past year or so, I have been thinking about how I can combine the two. This led me to thinking, why not start a non-profit?

Specifically, I like helping people alongside of the road during winter who have strayed into the median or gone slightly off the shoulder and can't get back on (pulled out 2 mustangs in 1 night once hehe). Why not expand upon these experiences? My vision for the non-profit is to establish a club/charter/organization which volunteers their time, equipment, and other resources (knowledge) to help motorists in need in emergency situations. It is important to distinguish my concept from run of the mill towing companies, however. The organization would specialize in weather related disaster, or offroad related fast-response free vehicle recovery. The scope of the service would range anywhere from flash flood recovery to post-tornado/hurricane debris clearing or somebody out mudding getting stuck. The bottom line is, when the sh#ts hitting the fan, and the tow truck says hell no, who do you call? 4xFound.

How can I do this? Where do I start? Personally, I am a very informal type of guy. I like to jump right in and start by doing rather than talking. My short term goal is to start practicing what I've talked about as soon as this winter even if it's just my girlfriend and myself wandering around in the truck in the snow looking for people. Heck I might even make up a couple big car magnets to make myself look half official. This type of work can be potentially very dangerous. However, I strongly believe that many of those (definitely not all) who are active wheelers are the best drivers on the road, and have the driving, towing, winching, safety, and general recovery skills necessary to help people get back on the road quickly and cheaply.

I go to school at Iowa State University in Ames, IA. This location has advantages as well as disadvantages for my cause. Probably the most exciting things to happen here are flash floods and snowstorms, but that's plenty to get started with in experimenting. An advantage is I have a good population of people who would be interested and give support through the university. I can easily reach out and find interest of people in joining the cause. My hope would be to establish a founding chapter here in Ames, and then travel to train new people in new chapters all over the United States. The potential is truly limitless; there are people in need of the help from a good 4x4 all over the place.

What do you think about this idea? What problems am I not foreseeing? Is it a good idea? Are you interested? Got any better name ideas? This is the first cry for help and input I have made; this organization could very potentially start as soon as I post this thread. I truly appreciate any constructive criticism you may have to offer.
-Semi air horns
-Air dam and sway bar removed
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

05SlvrBuLLet

Posted: 09-15-2012, 09:25 AM
City: Salida
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

They already have a similar service in my area. Im not sure of the name of the company but for example the other day I was driving down the freeway and got a flat in my car. About 2 mins after pulling over this tow truck pulls behind me and asks if he would like me to put the spare on for me. Im not normally one for taking assitance on something like this but I was in my nice work clothes so I gladly said sure and asked him how much it would cost. He said nothing all he does is cruise around the freeway looking for people in need. Since he helped me that day I now see their trucks everywhere on the freeway helping people. While writing this post I searched to see if I can find this service and here is there website.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/fsp.html

Like I said it is free for some services.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

maachine

Posted: 11-20-2012, 11:50 PM
City: Hammond
State: LA
Post #3

i stumbled across this thread and thought i'd say 2 things.

1. i do this kind of thing all the time. since i dont have a 4x4, i dont really help people get unstuck or anything. but every time i've been to autozone, i see someone standing outside waiting for an employee to help them fix a light buld or change their battery (stupid easy maintenance stuff). so i help them. i helped a lady the other day, in a target parking lot, get her car started. i also answered some of her questions of what could be wrong with her car.

2. LOL on the CHP
LA 360 bored .030 over, EQ Magnum heads, Hooker Headers, true dual exhaust, Holley 4160 w/Truck Avenger parts, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake, StreetFire ignition box & MSD coil
208 t-case/727A trans w/3.23 gears

dodgensince74

Posted: 11-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Post #4

before you do the start up you should check on the cost of coverage that will cover any member that signs on to your organization from any damage or injury that may occur to the rescuer or the rescued person(s) or vehicle(s) involved. I would even try to find out the legal reprecussions that could fall back on you in case something did go wrong. Even though you are trying to help some one for nothing it can come back to bite you good. When I live in Colo. Springs in the 80's I would go out during snow storms and pull people out that were stuck in the snow, I would always make the owner of the vehicle hook thier end up so I would not be liable damage on their end, its not the same now days. I hope I didn't discourage you from what you want to do but just trying to help you keep your back side covered. Good luck with this.
Magnaflow S/i-D/o
K&N cai
Eagle alloy 102's
BFG LT285/75r16 A/T's

vinnie35

Posted: 11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Post #5

Thanks for the thoughtful replies guys, please keep them coming if you have anything to add!

dodgesince74, I think you have a completely valid point. My thoughts about this initiative follow your concerns. I think it's a great idea in theory, however the number of legal hoops and cautionary steps will most likely be the biggest obstacle.

I think the best way to overcome these issues is to start our small and slow, while I can do research about what to watch out for. It's something that could slowly develop over time into an organization which fully protects those who provide as well as receive the services.

For instance, although I don't think it is a catch all in today's environments, your idea of having the owner of the stuck vehicle hook up their end is a great start. I think a step above this could be as simple as a waiver that I carry around which frees me from any liability of damages incurred to someone's vehicle. In order for me to help, you need to read and sign my waiver.

Does anyone have thoughts about this?
-Semi air horns

maachine

Posted: 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Post #6

Ive considered starting my own mechanics service, winter time is slow for my work. So I wanted to do it cause I like it and make a few bucks on the side. But same thing....legal ramifications.
LA 360 bored .030 over, EQ Magnum heads, Hooker Headers, true dual exhaust, Holley 4160 w/Truck Avenger parts, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake, StreetFire ignition box & MSD coil

D72Gladiator

Posted: 11-21-2012, 10:13 PM
DeeGladiator
City: SoCal
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

why not just get AAA?
Custom Made Fold Down Roof Light Bar w/4 9" Hid's w/Internal Ballast
Custom Made Rear Runner Bar w/2 100w Off Road Lights
Custom Chrome Front Grille w/2 55w Offroad Lights
Fiberglass Extended Prerunner Fenders
3" Longer Rancho RS 5000 Shocks
33x12.50x15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrian T/A KM2
15x8 Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys
Pro Comp Xtreme Offroad Wheel rings
LED Turn Signal Lights w/Heated Mirrors
LED Red Tail Lights
McCullouch 8000K HID Headlights
Diamond Chrome Housing Headlamps
Royal Purple in ALL fluids
CAI w/K&N Filter
Optima Red Top Battery
Drilled and Slotted Front Rotors
Hawk HPS Brake Pads Front
Black Tinted Windows All Around
Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover - Powder Coated Hyper Silver
9.25 Auburn High Performance Series LSD
Gibson Superflow Muffler
Motive 4.56 gears

maachine

Posted: 11-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Post #8

why not get CHP?

dmcelhannon

Posted: 11-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #9

Something else you may want to check. You may need to ask your insurance company what kind of coverage you have for this. If you damage something or someone gets hurt, they could come after you and your insurance company. There are some good Samaritan laws on the books in some states that protect folks that are just trying to help but you're going out of your way looking for these folks. Talk to your insurance company and if you have family lawyer, that wouldn't be a bad idea either. You might stop by your local PD office or substation and let them know what your doing. Maybe you get a phone number you can call for non-emergencies and give them your number. They may not be able call you because of insurance concerns but on the other hand, you could save the area some tax dollars if they don't have send an office to do something that you're doing on the side. You see where I come from here? It may sound simple but in today's world there is no such thing as simple.

God Squad July 1972-To Infinity and Beyond-#40 Little Rammie Ridin' Shotgun Club
287 Club Member #81 ~ Broken C Clip Club Member ~ Two-Tone Truck Club Member #13 ~ 4.56 R&P Club Member #8
Mighty Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club #11~Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club Member #25~Truck and Gun Club Member #97

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 89K/3***hrs, 2002 Ram 45RFE Jeep GC TCM Upgrade to 5-45RFE, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO E's, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, Lincoln E-Fan, DCC 2-Speed E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Denso 160-amp Alternator, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Accele 3.5" LCD Backup System, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, Hella 500 Black Magic-100W, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, $1600 Oil Pick-up Tube thanks Dodge
Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

Engine Failure ~ 660+-Days and Counting Thanks To A Dodge Pin-Head Engineer

“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”
~ Thomas Jefferson

vinnie35

Posted: 11-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Post #10

Again, great comments. Thanks.

Quote:
why not just get AAA?
I think you might be missing my intention...

The idea is to have a VOLUNTARY group of people not tied to somebody's wallet. And more of a "spontaneous" response than somebody banking on AAA for help. Even though someone might have AAA, wouldn't it be nice if someone driving along was able to stop and help out if they had the opportunity?

Quote:
If you damage something or someone gets hurt, they could come after you and your insurance company. There are some good Samaritan laws on the books in some states that protect folks that are just trying to help but you're going out of your way looking for these folks.
Again great legal advice. I think one of the first things I will do when I have the opportunity is bring it up with my insurance company.

I'm a little hesitant going down to the police dept to ask advice, because frankly, won't they just tell me no and try to put the kabosh on the idea? I see where saving them a few tax dollars would sound appealing but wouldn't they be a little more concerned with Joe Blow running around "helping" strange people? Maybe I'm just thinking too hard about it...
-Semi air horns

D72Gladiator

Posted: 11-24-2012, 12:50 AM
DeeGladiator
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie35 View Post
I think you might be missing my intention...

The idea is to have a VOLUNTARY group of people not tied to somebody's wallet. And more of a "spontaneous" response than somebody banking on AAA for help. Even though someone might have AAA, wouldn't it be nice if someone driving along was able to stop and help out if they had the opportunity?

no...i'm not missing your intention. it sounds nice, but honestly...i don't think it'll fly. but don't let me bring down your plan.
and "if they had the opportunity?" that's exactly what i mean...
for $75 a year. i've been broken down in the desert...middle of nowhere, and they towed me home, 100miles free. and not to mention that i use them about 3-4 times a year...and i know they will show up. $75 bucks...not bad.

i meant to be an ass by saying "why not use AAA?",to see what you would say...
that's how you know if someone's idea will take off. you have to have thick skin when you have a plan...people will always try to shoot down your ideas and criticize your every thoughts. good luck!
LED Red Tail Lights
Royal Purple in ALL fluids
CAI w/K&N Filter
Optima Red Top Battery
Drilled and Slotted Front Rotors
Hawk HPS Brake Pads Front
Black Tinted Windows All Around
Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover - Powder Coated Hyper Silver
9.25 Auburn High Performance Series LSD
Gibson Superflow Muffler
Motive 4.56 gears

D72Gladiator

Posted: 11-24-2012, 01:04 AM
DeeGladiator
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

another thing...
lets say i was stuck in the desert "again" 100 miles away from your local group...
who would come get me? and why (drive 100 miles for a stranger)? and who would pay for gas? and how would i know one of your 4x4 buddies would come to the rescue?

this time i'm not being an ass...
these are questions i would really ask if i needed help.
LED Red Tail Lights