led bars vs hid - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#21 Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here is my friends just messing around.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...08DF27C364.mp4

You can see when the strobe lights up - it goes! And this isn't a good shot of the distance either.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

Last edited by MonsoonMike; 11-20-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 Old 11-20-2012, 11:39 AM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerider650 View Post
Cant get anywhere near the distance with leds as with this....

Impressive.. but would have to see it. 3 LED bars (50") on a trophy truck seems to be right there.

#23 Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

AND

this is only a 37" bar with fluted ends.

#24 Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM
MegaMouseGW
Small Rodent Big Truck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would recommend getting a pair of the Recon headlight replacements for the stock ones fiorst. Then go to Xenon Depot and get one of their HID kits that replaces the low beam lights. Also get a headlight relay harness specific to your truck. I would forgo the led kit for the moment and get some better headlights. Now do not go over 6000k on the HID's because you might regret it when the police start to take unwanted notice of your truck. 4300 is more than bright enough. Also on the HID kit do not go for a 55 watt kit. All a 555 watt kit does is over drive a 35 watt bulb shortening its life and is not worth the troubles. Hope this helps out.
#25 Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM
jasonsdakota

(Thread Starter)
megamouse, you mentioned headlight replacements then you mention hids like its a seperate thing. care to post links or elaborate on your suggestion. also we cant just replace just the low beams in our 3g rams. one bulb does it all. its not a dual bulb setup like some 4g rams. not sure what you were suggesting..

2004 slt blue quad cab 2wd hemi
4.10 gears on 17s
magnaflow si/so exhaust
superchips w/custom trans tune
retro solutions 55watt 4300k hids, stock reflectors, BEST MOD YET!!
trifecta tannoe cover covering 500lbs of pdr tools
4 dually spots
retro 5 watt led reverse lights
180 t-stat

coming soon to a transmission near you
edge 2700 stall converter
one ton cooler

dream mods
lt headers
sidewinder
6.4 stroker
sts turbo
#26 Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM
jasonsdakota

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMouseGW View Post
All a 55 watt kit does is over drive a 35 watt bulb shortening its life and is not worth the troubles. Hope this helps out.

can anyone else confirm this is true. if so, a 35watt hid bulb would vastly outlast a 55. hmmm

4.10 gears on 17s
magnaflow si/so exhaust
4 dually spots
180 t-stat

one ton cooler

dream mods
lt headers
sidewinder
6.4 stroker
sts turbo
#27 Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator

The recon lights use a projector for the lows and a reflector bowl for the highs, thus splitting to 2 bulbs. But, keep in mind, the projectors aren't made for HIDs, they are halogen projectors. And, well........you won't get the best performance there.

As for the 35 vs 55 comment - most kits on the market are a 55W ballast pushing a 35W bulb. Retro-Solutions uses a 55W bulb.........so the issue of overdriving it isn't there.

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, HIDs / Lighting accessories / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Fukken Wax Specials: Specials here! / Join our Fükken Facebook page!

#28 Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 PM
MegaMouseGW
Small Rodent Big Truck

Here are the li nks I neglected to post earlier:
First is Recon for the headlights: http://www.gorecon.com/
Make sure you choose the correct ones for your truck. Plus the projectors that Recon use are designed for HID's although they ship with halogen bulbs installed. Takes a bit of wiring to get everything up and running but the instructions are easy to follow. Recon also offers LED taillights which are massively bright and look very cool.
Next is the relay kit: http://innovadd.com/bb.3g.ram.1.html
The above is only one part of what you need here is the other: http://www.carhidkits.com/hid-kit-wi...plugs-275.html
Witht eh relay kit ensure that you let them know the make and year of your truck and if you are using aftermarket lights with the low and high beams seperated like I have.
This is the Kit I use in my truck for the HID's: http://www.hidxenonlights.com/h3-hid...k-30000k-p-261 I use the 4300k bulbs which outperform anything hotter.
As far as the 35 watt vs 55 watt debate goes I said it earlier. All 55 watt kits do is overdrive a 35 watt bulb thus shortening their life. There are only a couple manufacturers of the bulbs and they ONLY make 35 watt bulbs. All aftermarket kit makers do is rebase the bulb for your (or my) application. With the Recon headlights you will need H1 based bulbs. Do not be fooled into getting what is called Bi/Xenon kits. They do not work properly. Plus if you decide to try and stick HiD's in stock headlights expect to be stopped by the police a lot. You must use projector headlights for HiD's or the glare will be unbearable for oncoming traffic. Goood Luck and hope I assisted you in makeing the right choices.
#29 Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM
jasonsdakota

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0212353 View Post
The recon lights use a projector for the lows and a reflector bowl for the highs, thus splitting to 2 bulbs.
wait. ive never heard of this. retro offers headlights for the 04 ram that allows us to split into a 2 bulb system? can i get more details cause i would love to have a setup like toyotas and chevys have where all 4 bulbs are on when the highs turn on.

4.10 gears on 17s
magnaflow si/so exhaust
4 dually spots
180 t-stat

one ton cooler

dream mods
lt headers
sidewinder
6.4 stroker
sts turbo
#30 Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsdakota View Post
wait. ive never heard of this. retro offers headlights for the 04 ram that allows us to split into a 2 bulb system? can i get more details cause i would love to have a setup like toyotas and chevys have where all 4 bulbs are on when the highs turn on.
Recon does..........

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...-DRLs&p_cat=80

But, at $450.............pffft. I don't think they are set up to keep the lows on though when you hit the highs.

Drop a few more bucks and you can get a full HID setup, with 55W HIDs direct from me on my Black Friday deals. http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDeta...E02-05%2ERETRO

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, HIDs / Lighting accessories / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

#31 Old 11-21-2012, 02:00 PM
jasonsdakota

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0212353 View Post
Recon does..........

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...-DRLs&p_cat=80

But, at $450.............pffft. I don't think they are set up to keep the lows on though when you hit the highs.

Drop a few more bucks and you can get a full HID setup, with 55W HIDs direct from me on my Black Friday deals. http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDeta...E02-05%2ERETRO
how much for a set of 55watt hids 4300k, with, then without projectors?

4.10 gears on 17s
magnaflow si/so exhaust
4 dually spots
180 t-stat

one ton cooler

dream mods
lt headers
sidewinder
6.4 stroker
sts turbo
#32 Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM
jasonsdakota

(Thread Starter)
also, how do we make sure these hid's dont cost us a $900 tipm unit? is it a safer bet than the 80/100s i have in there now or are they both iffy?

4.10 gears on 17s
magnaflow si/so exhaust
4 dually spots
180 t-stat

one ton cooler

dream mods
lt headers
sidewinder
6.4 stroker
sts turbo
#33 Old 11-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator

Quote:
how much for a set of 55watt hids 4300k, with, then without projectors?
55W HIDs - http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDeta...02%2E05%2EHIDs

Projectors - http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDeta...tCode=BF%2EMH1

For the typical 02-05 setup, you'll have the projectors, pick your shrouds, dust caps, bix wiring and butyl.

Quote:
also, how do we make sure these hid's dont cost us a $900 tipm unit? is it a safer bet than the 80/100s i have in there now or are they both iffy?
Just make sure you get a kit that has the right harness. Cheap eBay kits won't have the right one. I would be leary of the 80/100, they are drawing more power, where HIDs won't (and are getting power direct from the battery, vs the small wiring from the truck)

#34 Old 11-22-2012, 06:01 PM
MegaMouseGW
Small Rodent Big Truck

Jason please do not use HID's without projector headlights. Your wallet and your drivers license will thank you for it later.
Here is the reason I say that: HID's in standard headlight housings create so much glare for oncoming drivers it can cause them to have an accident. Plus the way standard headlights are made the beam pattern you will get out of HID's will sorely dissapoint you. Here is a youtube link you should watch before making any drastic decision on your HID's:
The above shows the massive glare produced when HID's are installed into halogen headlight housings (which most cars and trucks come from the factory with).
This next one shows the difference between the stock headlights and a good set of projector headlights:
This one has some reading you might want to check out plus it has a picture of a car with HID's in a halogen headlight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...discharge_lamp
This one tells the story of headlamps but you can skip most of it and go to the bottom to read up on the HID's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

Now for the manufacturers I had mentioned in an above post. There are currently only 2 that produce HID lights for vehicles. Sylvania and Philips, and neither make 55 watt bulbs. When you get a kit what you will get is a rebased bulb from either of them for your application.
I will stress the importance of getting a set of good aftermarket headlights with projectors in it for your HiD's. You will find they work better and when properly aimed will give you a ton of light out front.
#35 Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 PM
dunerider650

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMouseGW View Post
Here are the li nks I neglected to post earlier:
First is Recon for the headlights: http://www.gorecon.com/
Make sure you choose the correct ones for your truck. Plus the projectors that Recon use are designed for HID's although they ship with halogen bulbs installed. Takes a bit of wiring to get everything up and running but the instructions are easy to follow. Recon also offers LED taillights which are massively bright and look very cool.
Next is the relay kit: http://innovadd.com/bb.3g.ram.1.html
The above is only one part of what you need here is the other: http://www.carhidkits.com/hid-kit-wi...plugs-275.html
Witht eh relay kit ensure that you let them know the make and year of your truck and if you are using aftermarket lights with the low and high beams seperated like I have.
This is the Kit I use in my truck for the HID's: http://www.hidxenonlights.com/h3-hid...k-30000k-p-261 I use the 4300k bulbs which outperform anything hotter.
As far as the 35 watt vs 55 watt debate goes I said it earlier. All 55 watt kits do is overdrive a 35 watt bulb thus shortening their life. There are only a couple manufacturers of the bulbs and they ONLY make 35 watt bulbs. All aftermarket kit makers do is rebase the bulb for your (or my) application. With the Recon headlights you will need H1 based bulbs. Do not be fooled into getting what is called Bi/Xenon kits. They do not work properly. Plus if you decide to try and stick HiD's in stock headlights expect to be stopped by the police a lot. You must use projector headlights for HiD's or the glare will be unbearable for oncoming traffic. Goood Luck and hope I assisted you in makeing the right choices.

Not true It says directly on the back of my recon headlights do not use HID. As for the getting the recon headlights i don't suggest it....they are just sonar copies....yea sonar copies not the other way around. Pull the headlight apart and look what the projector says on it....SONAR. Rip off. Get a set of retro solutions projector headlights with hids and be done with it.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4 - 3" Dumped Exhaust, Superchips 91
Performance Tune, Superchips Trans Tuning, No Cats, Y-pipe, Powerwire, 4" CAI, 1- 12" Alpine Type X, Pioneer Head Unit, Pioneer I-Pod hookup, Alpine mrd m1005, Infinty sound system upgrade, Infinity Reference 6by9s in door, Bell Radar Detector, 400 Watts Aux Lighting (Behind Grill), Recon Headlights, Recon Tailights, AVS Color Matched Vent Shades, 2" Drop Shackles, Full leather interior swap, Painted rads, 2/0awg big 3, Dual Agm Batteries
#36 Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 PM
MonsoonMike
Moderator Mike

See that image preview on the video that Megamouse posted on the one head light and one HID.

That is why HID suck. Annoying when you have them come at you. haha

#37 Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator

not all of them are that way Mike.......take a look at this blurb, especially the last section.

One of my fellow retrofitters on another forum popped this pics up, and its a GREAT way to show the time old question on lighting output and width, etc.

These were taken on a Raptor, but....H13 bulb, and same basic bowl design for the drop in kit.

- 1st pic in each series is stock lights 100% OEM

- 2nd pic is HID's in stock lights

- 3rd pic is HID's with projectors (35W kit in a Morimoto Mini H1 projector)

1st set - lows from behind - you can use the ski jumps in the back left as a reference to how wide each one is.

2nd set - lows from side

3rd set - High beam

4th set - front

#38 Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 AM
MegaMouseGW
Small Rodent Big Truck

Only problem witht eh retro solutions kits is that you ahve to tear apart your headlight to instal them. Unless I clicked the wrong link. Some people do not have the time or knowhow to install a set of projectors in their headlights, so I cnnot recommend them to anyone but those with the skills and knowhow.
#39 Old 11-23-2012, 02:19 AM
MegaMouseGW
Small Rodent Big Truck

Here is a link to CarID which has a very nice selection of complete headlights. CHeck these out before making your decision: http://www.carid.com/
#40 Old 11-23-2012, 11:23 AM
imaxx21
Crash™

thats where people like Jeremy come in

http://shop.retroshop.us/

'03 1500 QC Sport
Black Truck Club Member #58
"Don't Fear The Drone" Club Member #6
Train Horn Club Member #14 Nathan K5LA!!
Sport Edition Club Member #8
Closed Thread