Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge P200 Mail Van - Part Two - Page 66 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge/RAM Van & Cargo Truck Forums > Dodge A-Series Vans 1964 - 1970

JCAllison

Posted: 11-14-2012, 08:03 AM
State: OTHER
View This User's Garage
Post #1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar fan View Post
How's the new computer working for you Jim?
Hey Al,
THERE YOU ARE!!!

It is a REALLY spiffy unit! BUT... It has the Windows 7 Professional Operating System which is just so user friendly that one cannot get it to do what one WANTS it to do. Rather it does what IT wants to do and like the guy who delivered it said: "Embrace the technology.".

Let me explain what I mean by it being "user friendly":

I happen to have CorelDRAW5, which is a GREAT Graphics Program. It doesn't do ANYTHING until it is told to do it. THAT means that it doesn't make ANY decisions for you. It's like having a complete set of tools and EACH and EVERY function has to be delineated or it won't go any further. That means that there's no automatic ANYTHING.

CorelDRAW6 is "user friendly" and does stuff that IT wants to do, not what YOU want to do. And there's no way to over-ride its decisions. That means that IT decides letter spacing, among other things. And THAT means that one cannot do really original work on CorelDRAW6. It gives the Professional Artist the same look as it gives the Amateur Artist, which is supposed to make the Amateur look like a Pro, but only ends up making the Pro look like an Amateur, if you get my drift.

It's the same with Windows 7. It ends up treating a professional computer user like an amateur. Case in point. On Windows 2000, one has the choice of having Large Icons, Small Icons, and just Lists of Folders and Files, which are alphabetically arranged. That's how I have Win2K set up...

With Windows 7, you have your choice of Large Icons or Small Icons, but NO Alphabetical Lists. And the Icons are arranged by the date they were made. So you have to click through them to find the one one wants.

It MAY be GREAT for the newbie, but it's a PITA for me.

Another thing... Windows 7 doesn't have and doesn't support Outlook Express, and so I can't import all the E-Mails and NewsGroup Posts that have been made over the years to the NEW Computer which BTW has been named "The Scalder", which goes along with the names of the other two computers, "The Screamer" and "The Scorcher".

But what the heck, it's a VERY nice Computer, does everything faster and more precisely, and how can one look a gift horse in the mouth?

Lorrie is still having problems starting in the morning. It takes four, one second spritzes of Starting Fluid to make her awaken. No amount of accelerator will get her to start. Have tried none, one, two, three, before cranking, during cranking, and everything inbetween, and she just won't start without Starting Fluid, and she won't even start then if she has been given ANY accelerator.

So the way that I get her started is to open the Choke Plate, open the Throttle Plate, squirt four, one second spritzes of Starting Fluid into the Bendix Stromberg Carburetor, turn on the Run Switch, and hit the Start Switch, and she starts right up first time, every time.

Also, the rebuilt Alternator is PERFECT, and if it continues to be thus, we'll be able to consider her Battery Charging function problem as solved.

Now if she would just start starting without Starting Fluid, everything would be just GREAT!

Went out yesterday to start Lorrie using a technique recommended by one of the guys over at the Ford Muscle Forum of giving her one pump on the accelerator, then starting to crank her, and while cranking give a second jab of the throttle. It flooded her, and then even Starting Fluid didn't help.

Am going to go out this morning (it's 35 degrees out there) and see if she will start with NO throttle and just four spritzes of Starting Fluid. Am hoping that she has dried out after being flooded yesterday.

So how have YOU been. Is everything back to normal after Sandy?

Haven't heard anything from Larry for a while. Hope that he's alright.

As soon as Lorrie has started again, and gets warmed up (if THAT happens), will be reinstalling the Engine Cabinetry today.

Supposed to get down to freezing tonight. Am going to have to bring in the potted plants and cover the Philodendrons which are in planters too large to move. It's always something.

Hope this finds YOU doing well.

Hang in there.

JC
Advertisement

mopar fan

Posted: 11-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Retired DT Admin
City: Milan
State: PA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAllison View Post
Lorrie is still having problems starting in the morning. It takes four, one second spritzes of Starting Fluid to make her awaken. No amount of accelerator will get her to start. Have tried none, one, two, three, before cranking, during cranking, and everything inbetween, and she just won't start without Starting Fluid, and she won't even start then if she has been given ANY accelerator.

So how have YOU been. Is everything back to normal after Sandy?

Hang in there.
Hey remember that thingie that feel out of the Carb awhile back? You don't suppose it could have dislodged itself again do you?

As for me. Not doing so well. I have to go back to the doctors next Monday. They say I'm going through rescue inhalers way to fast! What can I say, I use it when I need it. It may come down to me going on oxygen. I dread that!

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

bikerlarry50

Posted: 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM
City: north ft. myers, fl
State: FL
View This User's Timeslip
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #1303

hey guy's; i'm lurking around, lol. been laying low for health reasons. #1, have severley torn my rt rotator cuff, been struggling with the pain from that. tore it in july, am scheduled for surgery on 29th. #2, also having o2 issuess, i actually quit smoking 6 weeks ago, cause like al, the dr's are thinkin of putting me on o2 also. cant see smokin if i'm on o2, kinda stupid.
well enough of my troubles. jc, there has to be something wrong with that carb thats causin your no start issues. i am perplexed by this, as i am sure you are too. can you post a photo if the installed carb? i'm curious if the choke and accelerator pump system are connected correctly? its the only thing i can think of that would cause these issues. all right, got to run some errands. tty all soon. everyone hang in there. larry
as for me,i'm a retired ase master tech, co-own a 2012 dodge durango sxt, and my personal vehicles, my 99 ram 3500 1 ton van, a 06 hd nitetrain, & a 67 hd flh shovelhead , and a 99 sea ray bow rider boat
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

JCAllison

Posted: 11-14-2012, 11:58 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar fan View Post
Hey remember that thingie that fell out of the Carb awhile back? You don't suppose it could have dislodged itself again do you?
Hey Al,
You are referring to the part that holds the Float Pivot Pin in place. It "sprang" out and hasn't been seen since. The way it was fixed was VERY secure. BUT you know what? THAT might ought to be checked on. Will do that this afternoon.

Quote:
As for me. Not doing so well. I have to go back to the doctors next Monday. They say I'm going through rescue inhalers way to fast! What can I say, I use it when I need it. It may come down to me going on oxygen. I dread that!
Do you have asthma? I seem to vaguely remember that being mentioned.

Am going to go take the Bendix Stromberg Carburetor off of the Manifold. Will let you now what I find.

JC

JCAllison

Posted: 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlarry50 View Post
hey guy's; i'm lurking around, lol. been laying low for health reasons.
Hey Larry,
GREAT to have you check in. Was concerned.

Quote:
#1, have severley torn my rt rotator cuff, been struggling with the pain from that. tore it in july, am scheduled for surgery on 29th.
YOW! You and Al seem to competing to see who can have the most problems.

Remember when Richard Prior had a heart attack, and then set himself on fire while freebasing Cocaine? George Carlin made mention of the fact that he and Richard were competing healthwise. Carlin said: "Richard had a heart attack, and so I had a heart attack. Then Richard set himself on fire. So I had another heart attack!"

Wish YOU two guys would just settle down have feel good for a while.

Quote:
#2, also having o2 issuess, i actually quit smoking 6 weeks ago, cause like al, the dr's are thinkin of putting me on o2 also. cant see smokin if i'm on o2, kinda stupid.
Right. Not a good combination.

Quote:
well enough of my troubles. jc, there has to be something wrong with that carb thats causin your no start issues.
But Lorrie runs just GREAT once she starts.

Quote:
i am perplexed by this, as i am sure you are too.
Am at a loss for an explanation.

Quote:
can you post a photo if the installed carb?
Alas, at this moment that can't be done. The Camera that is here records on a 1.44 Diskette, and the NEW Computer doesn't have a 1.44 Diskette Drive. Am working on getting THAT situation resolved.

Quote:
i'm curious if the choke and accelerator pump system are connected correctly?
They are. There's only one way to hook them up and they are hooked up that way. Everything is operating normally as far as Choke and Accelerator Pump are concerned.

Quote:
it's the only thing i can think of that would cause these issues.
Am inclined to agree that it's a Carburetor Problem.

Quote:
alright, got to run some errands. tty all soon. everyone hang in there. larry
YOU too. Be CAREFUL.

JC

JCAllison

Posted: 11-14-2012, 02:04 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #1306

Hey All,
Took the Bendix Stromberg Carburetor off of Lorrie's Intake Manifold and took it apart. The piece that was put in place of the piece that disappeared was still where it should be, doing exactly what it was supposed to be doing.

There was nothing amiss in the unit.

Put it back together and reinstalled it.

Earlier when looking through the Throat of the Carburetor, there was a lot of raw gasoline on the floor of the Intake Manifold. Just before reinstalling the Carburetor, looked into the Intake Manifold and it was dry. It's a bit warmer out right now and am thinking that it is warm enough to evaporate the gasoline.

Have to say that the uninstalling and reinstalling the Carburetor went flawlessly. Didn't drop any parts, and it all went back together exactly as it should have.

Will just have to see if it all works now. Hope it doesn't leak anywhere.

Will let you all know what happens.

JC

JCAllison

Posted: 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #1307

Hey All,
Wednesday Afternoon Update:

Put all the Spark Plugs back in. And remember, the Carburetor has just been put back on and there is NO gasoline in it, so there is NO gasoline anywhere in the Engine. Opened the Choke Plate. Opened the Throttle Plate. Put some Starting Fluid through the Carburetor into the Intake Manifold. Turned on the Run Switch. Activated the Start Switch, the Engine Cranked, but didn't even fire the Starting Fluid that was in the Manifold. DIDN'T EVEN COUGH!!!

Took out the Number Five Spark Plug, put it back into the Spark Plug Lead. Laid it against a Ground. Turned on the Run Switch. Hit the Start Switch. BIG FAT SPARK!!!

Put the Spark Plug back in. Went through the whole starting routine. AND AGAIN, NOTHING!

(Long sigh)

She is NOT flooded. She has spark. She has fuel. She SHOULD run. She is just being CONTRARY!

What to do NOW?

JC

FirerescuePW

Posted: 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
City: North Wales
Post #1308

Timing???

Rausch Creek Spring 2011

Rausch Creek Fall 2011

2012 East Coast Spring Rally at Rausch Creek ORP

2013 Power Wagon Gathering at Rausch Creek Offroad Park

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq, DT ProFab Steering Brace, Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, White Knuckle Rock Sliders, Reflex spray-in liner, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Pop Lock electric tailgate lock, Tekonsha Prodigy brake control, LEDS & Strobes & Siren, Winch TPS Bypass, Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

JCAllison

Posted: 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #1309

Hey All,
Thursday Noon Update:

Checked the Spark Plugs to see which was firing and which wasn’t The only one that WASN’T firing was Number Three.

To see if it was the Wire or the Plug, put another Plug into the Boot. It didn’t fire either. That means that it was NOT the Plug.

Took all the MSD 8.5 mm Spark Plug Wires out and checked them for continuity. This has to be done by checking the Ohms of Resistance in each one. They all were between 39 and 54 Ohms depending on the length of the Wire. MSD advertises 50 Ohms per foot of Wire.

Took the Distributor Cap off and tightened the HEI Adapter Towers. Some were loose, but none were not continuitous.

Put all the Wires onto the Distributor and checked the continuity from the Spark Plug Boots to the Contacts inside the Distributor Cap.

Inspected the Contacts INSIDE the Distributor Cap. Three of the Contacts had scored or scarred faces. Three were perfectly clean.

It may be that the Rotor is hitting the Faces of three of the Contacts, though the face of the Rotor Contact was not bright. Cleaned it with an abrasive. This scoring or scarring MIGHT also be from the arc, but if it is, why are not all the Contacts Faces scored or scarred?

Put everything back together and have to check to see if the Spark Plugs are all sparking now, BUT in the process of doing the testing this morning, the Battery has gotten discharged, and it is NOW recharging at 6 Amps.

Will update when something else gets done.

JC

JCAllison

Posted: 11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirerescuePW View Post
Timing???
Hey Mike,
Don't know HOW the timing would have changed because the Distributor is still locked down tight, and the bolt hasn't gotten loose. The Distributor is EXACTLY where it was when Lorrie was running.

And can't check the timing until Lorrie is up and running again.

Am going to have something to eat and then start removing the Holley 4150 from Ms. American while Lorrie's Battery is charging.

Weather here is perfect for working on the vehicles. Not too hot, not too cold. It's Goldilocks weather.

Supposed to get down to 35 degrees tonight. It made it to 33 degrees last night.

Anyway, don't have to use either of the vehicles till next Monday. Am hoping to have one, if not both running by then. We'll see.

Hope YOU are alright.

JC

bikerlarry50

Posted: 11-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Post #1311

jc; is it possible that the dist cap is on 180 degrees out? this would keep it from sitting square on the body of the dist, allowing the rotor to make physical contact with 3 out of 6 terminals? just a thought. as for the engine not starting after you reinstalled the carb dry, there needs to be fuel in the float bowl, in order for it start, sounds like that isnt happening, and that the fuel in the bowl is draining out overnight, creating your no start condition. i would remove the top, fill the bowl to float level, leave sit overnight and recheck in the am, if fuel level is ok, then we will have to look elsewhere for the problem, maybe a clogged jet (idle), or something. let me know if this helps. hey mike and al, hope you guys are ok, al you hang in there, i know exactly how you feel, and am saying prayers for you to recover. peace to all, larry
as for me,i'm a retired ase master tech, co-own a 2012 dodge durango sxt, and my personal vehicles, my 99 ram 3500 1 ton van, a 06 hd nitetrain, & a 67 hd flh shovelhead , and a 99 sea ray bow rider boat

JCAllison

Posted: 11-17-2012, 04:15 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #1312

Quote:
jc; is it possible that the dist cap is on 180 degrees out?
Hey Larry,
No. It has an indexing notch that keeps it from being able to be held down if installed any other way.

Quote:
this would keep it from sitting square on the body of the dist, allowing the rotor to make physical contact with 3 out of 6 terminals?
It's NOT making "physical contact". If it were, the Contact on the Rotor would show it, which it doesn't.

Quote:
just a thought.
Had the same thought myself. Have been VERY careful making sure that EVERYTHING is as it should be.

Quote:
as for the engine not starting after you reinstalled the carb dry, there needs to be fuel in the float bowl, in order for it start,
Actually, was hoping to just get a cough out of Lorrie with no gasoline, and just Starting Fluid. It didn't happen. That's what is so disconcerting. Lorrie won't even cough on just Starting Fluid, which would be an indication that she isn't getting any spark, but when the Spark Plugs are pulled, grounded and the Engine cranked, they FIRE a BIG FAT SPARK, so the HEI Ingniton IS working.

Quote:
sounds like that isn't happening, and that the fuel in the bowl is draining out overnight, creating your no start condition.
Don't think that THAT is happening. When the Choke is opened, and the Throttle Plate is opened in preparation to make sure that the Starting Fluid is going into the Intake Manifold, there is a GOODLY squirt coming from the Accelerator Pump, which wouldn't happend if the Float Bowl were not full.

The problem is TOO much fuel instead of not enough fuel.

Quote:
i would remove the top, fill the bowl to float level, leave sit overnight and recheck in the am,
The last time that the Carburetor was taken off (last week), the amount of fuel that got discharged by the Accelerator Pump was substantial, AND when the Float Bowl was emptied, it was also substantial. Also, the Fuel Filter is full, and when the Engine is cranked, one can SEE the Fuel Pump pumping fuel into the Filter.

Quote:
if fuel level is ok, then we will have to look elsewhere for the problem,
Have been over and over the whole system with a fine toothed comb, and EVERYTHING is precisely as it should be.

Quote:
maybe a clogged jet (idle), or something.
Have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to turn out to be something wierd when we find it.

Quote:
let me know if this helps.
Removed the ANCIENT Holley 4150 from Ms. American and got the Autolite 4100 1.12 C4AF 9510 DG Carburetor COMPLETELY installed on Ms. American yesterday. Was too fatigued when finished to try to start the old Gal up, but will do that mid morning today. Am hoping that THAT solves the 3.14's running problem. If it does, then can proceed at a less hectic pace on Lorrie, and go back over her from square one.

Quote:
peace to all, larry
Back atcha.

Take care.

JC

JCAllison

Posted: 11-20-2012, 04:08 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #1313

Hey All,
It's been some time since anyone posted anything here.

As was mentioned previously, have been personally engrossed since last Friday morning installing the Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carburetor that was restored a couple of years ago on Ms. American 3.14159.

When we last left the Carburetor installation in the post previous to this one, it was on Friday evening. Was too pooped to continue.

Got a good night's sleep and went out and tried to start Ms. American's Engine on Saturday morning but couldn't get the 3.14 to run for very long at a time, and when it did run, it had to be up around 3,500RPM. Any less that THAT and the Engine would die.

This COULD be because of a vacuum leak, or the Fuel Bowl Floats set too low, or not enough gas in the Gas Tank. So put two gallons in the Tank.

Took the Airhorn off of the Body of the unit and found that the Fuel Bowls were at 3/4" from the top of the Bowl, which is too low.

Adjusted the Floats to where the Needles&Seats would shut off the fuel flow when the Fuel Level in the Fuel Bowl was 1/4" from the top of Bowl.

Put the Airhorn back onto the Body of the Carb and then the Engine would then run, and could be slowed down to 2,000 RPM before it would die.

Had the Engine running for about five minutes before it died and then wouldn't fire up again. That ended the work on Saturday late afternoon.

Went out Sunday morning and again removed the Airhorn only to find the Primary Fuel Bowl EMPTY, with the Float sitting on the bottom of the Fuel Bowl. Suspected that this was because it had run out of Gasoline when it wouldn't fire again on Saturday afternoon, but had just put in 2 gallons, but just to make sure, went to Robert's place and found that Rita was going to be going to do some shopping and she took me with her. Seven gallons of Gasoline were gotten and subsequently put into the 3.14's Gas Tank.

Had also decided to take the Carburetor off the Engine and check the Primary Discharge and the Idle Transfer Passages to see if maybe they were in fact NOT clogged and maybe THAT was why the Engine wouldn't idle.

Went out on Monday morning to remove the Carburetor, only to find a 4' diameter puddle of Gasoline under the Engine. Immediately thought that the Carburetor was somehow leaking.

Opened the hood to find that the leak was from the bottom of the Fuel Pump Mounting Flange! The bottom of the Gasket was hanging down below the Mounting Flange.

Had to remove the Hose TO the Fuel Pump FROM the Gas Tank and position it to where it wasn't able to drip.

Removed the Fuel Pump.

The fact that there was Gasoline leaking from ABOVE the Fuel Pump Diaphragm meant that the Fuel Pump was fritzed. This also explained the EMPTY Primary Fuel Bowl, but it did NOT explain why the Engine wouldn't idle.

The fritzed Fuel Pump might ALSO explain what the problem with Ms. American has been all along. And it has all been being unjustly blamed on the ANCIENT Holley 4150 Carburetor.

So after removing the Fuel Pump, the Carburetor was also removed.

Another Fuel Pump was ordered from NAPA, and they said it would be in in this morning, and so neighbor Robert's wife Rita is going to pick it up on the way home from work today.

Spent the rest of Monday going over the Carburetor checking to see if all the fuel passages were open.

The Fuel Inlet through the Primary&Secondary Needle&Seats were fine.

The Primary Discharge and Idle Transfer Passages were checked to see if they were open.

This was done by using a Hypodermic Syringe with Isopopal Alcohol and a bunch of Brown Paper Bags.

Would position the Carburetor inverted on a Paper Bag and shoot Alcohol into the teenincy holes in the walls of the Venturi. Then would look under the Carburetor and if there was a stain on the Paper Bag then that would indicate that the Passage was open.

As it turned out, NONE of the Passages were clogged.

So this morning, the unit was reassembled, and the Bench Adjustment Setup was done.

During that procedure, it was found that there is a Set Screw that positions the Secondary Throttle Plates properly. It was supposed to be set where it was 3/4 turn past where it contacted the fitting on the end of the Secondary Throttle Plate Shaft. It was almost 3.5 turns past THAT point, and THAT was what was causing the vacuum leak.

Readjusted it properly, finished up the rest of the Bench Adjustments, and reinstalled the unit on Ms. American's Intake Manifold. Spent some time cleaning the Fittings and Mounting Bolts for the NEW Fuel Pump.

Rita will deliver the NEW Fuel Pump this evening, and it will be installed tomorrow morning.

Then we will see if Ms. American's mighty 390 P-Code Engine will start&run.

In the process of doing all of this, much about Carburetion that has always been a mystery was revealed. It has been quite an educational experience.

So THAT'S it from here.

How have all YOU guys been doing? Al? Larry? Charlie? Mike?

Weather here has been "Goldilocks" for the past week and is supposed to continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Will keep you all updated on developements.

Hang in there guys!

JC

bikerlarry50

Posted: 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Post #1314

jc; sounds like fun. glad ya got that one figured out. remember to keep the fuel pump lever correctly positioned when reinstalling the new pump. been thinking that the float level might be the problem with lorie also..... hmmmm ,onto the next caper. all ok here, just laying low till my surgery on the 29th. am looking foward to some relief from the constant pain this torn rotator cuff incurs. it is very debillitating. all else ok, if i dont talk to you guys before thursday, have a safe and happy thanksgiving. peace, larry

FirerescuePW

Posted: 11-20-2012, 11:15 PM
City: North Wales
Post #1315

Hello all.

Mr A., I admire your persistance. I know much of it is out of necessity, but a lesser man may have thrown in the towel with all the "little" setbacks on your projects. It sounds like you may have this latest challenge under control. I've worked on cars since I was 13, but I never spent much time on carbs.

I've been quite busy lately. We are buying a new pumper at the fire department, and my schedule has been full of meetings for the last month. It's a little odd talking about spending $450,000 like you are discussing buying groceries. This evening while at one of these meetings, my wife called to tell me that the passenger window in her Nissan was stuck in the down position. So at 10:00, when the meeting ended, I was disassembling the door to try to raise the window. Of course that didn't work, so I covered it with plastic. I'll be ordering a new motor and linkage tomorrow, I suppose. I hope to be able to replace it on Thursday, before we go to my parents house.

My Power Wagon goes into the body shop on Monday to have the neighbor-inflicted damage repaired. It should be 3-4 days. I'm still not happy about this, but I guess I'll have to let it go at some point. Maybe I'll replace that stress with the fact that my daughter is going to take the test for a learner's permit tomorrow.

That covers just about everything. You hang in there, Mr. A! Al, Larry, and Charlie, too!

Who's next?

Rausch Creek Spring 2011

Rausch Creek Fall 2011

2012 East Coast Spring Rally at Rausch Creek ORP

2013 Power Wagon Gathering at Rausch Creek Offroad Park

'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq, DT ProFab Steering Brace, Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff cover, White Knuckle Rock Sliders, Reflex spray-in liner, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Pop Lock electric tailgate lock, Tekonsha Prodigy brake control, LEDS & Strobes & Siren, Winch TPS Bypass, Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

JCAllison

Posted: 11-21-2012, 04:55 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #1316

Quote:
jc; sounds like fun.
Hey Larry,
Attitude is EVERYTHING. Acceptance is key. It all depends on how one wants to look at the situation as to whether it is "fun" or whether it is otherwise. As I told Rita last evening when she delivered Ms. American's NEW Fuel Pump: "Ms. American 3.14159 has turned into an education."

Quote:
glad ya got that one figured out.
Am not sure that it is "figured out" yet, but at least there is a bit of a better understanding of how all the equipment functions.

Quote:
remember to keep the fuel pump lever correctly positioned when reinstalling the new pump.
Alright.

Quote:
been thinking that the float level might be the problem with lorie also.....
Was doing some research into the situation with Lorrie, and found a reference to the fact that a HEI System HAS to have the Engine turning over above a certain speed before the electronics will begin to function. Am going to have to find out MORE about THAT. It may be that Lorrie's Starter isn't cranking her mighty 225 Slant Six Engine fast enough.

Quote:
hmmmm, onto the next caper.
Hopefully, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here. There's many a slip between the cup and the lip.

Quote:
all ok here, just laying low till my surgery on the 29th. am looking foward to some relief from the constant pain this torn rotator cuff incurs. it is very debillitating.
How in the heck did you tear your rotator cuff?

Quote:
all else ok, if i dont talk to you guys before thursday, have a safe and happy thanksgiving. peace, larry
For sure.

The fellow for whom the sign was painted a couple of weeks ago came to visit yesterday, and wanted to know what I was doing for Thansgibbon. Told him that because of the liver issue that I didn't eat the traditional Thansgibbon dinner type food.

He was sort of nonplussed, and asked for an explanation.

Told him that animal fiber (turkey, ham, and etc.) were high in protein, and that protein had to be processed by the liver which is then eliminated from the body in the form of urea.

That due to being compromised, the liver wasn't able to process all the protein of a Thansgibbon dinner.

If the protein isn't removed from the blood, it decays into ammonia which creates a condition called "Hepatic Encephalopathy" which results in having an ammonia influenced consciousness rather than a purely oxygen based consciousness. And having any kind of "other" based consciousness can result in some strange abberations in one's thinking. Alcohol renders one "drunk". Ether renders one "anesthesized". Ammonia renders one "encephalopathic" which is somewhat mystical, and it isn't good for the brain or the other organs in the body.

Also, since the liver and the gall bladder work in close conjunction, the amount of fat generally found in the traditional Thansgibbon dinner is a bit too much for a person who has liver issues.

Also, because of the meds that are taken for this auto-immune liver issue has suppressed the immune system, am not able to be around gatherings of people due to the possibility of picking up a communicable illness against which I have no defense.

So what the fellow decided to do was to bring me a plate of the "vegetarian" part of the typical Thansgibbon dinner.

He was thanked suitably, and so tomorrow he will show up with a supply of food. Will just have to wait and see what all will be included. But it was very thoughtful of him to come to visit and inquire into my Thansgibbon plans. He had intentions of inviting me to their place, and I would have loved to been able to go. Alas...

Anyway, hope YOU are well, and that you handle the upcoming surgery efficaciously.

Will keep YOU updated on developments here with these two CRANKY old vehicles.

JC

charlie1935

Posted: 11-21-2012, 07:05 AM
City: DuQuoin
State: IL
Post #1317

Hi fellas. Still kickin' here.
Mike, the county fire dept. in the next county over had a new truck stolen and wrecked recently. Totaled a brand new $450,000.00 truck! First new one they had ever had. Thief was caught and is now being supported by tax payers in a correctional institution.
Seems all others have had a round of it.
I'm thankful that I can still work though I don't run as hard as I did 30 or even 10 years ago.
All have a good thanksgibbon and let us not forget to give thanks to all the military without whom we would have much less to be thankful for.
SSBC slotted rotors
Tri wing tonneau cover
Ultra 50/51 16x10 wheels
265 70x16 Firestone Destination LE tires
3.55 rear
99-01 sport headlights with Silverstar bulbs
MSD coil
Fram Boost intake -Freebie. I won it
Edelbrock shocks
Yes, grandpas like toys too

87 D100 318 auto. stock

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

JCAllison

Posted: 11-21-2012, 07:28 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirerescuePW View Post
Hello all.
Hey Mike,

Quote:
Mr A., I admire your persistance.
Am just taking care of everything as it comes.

Quote:
I know much of it is out of necessity, but a lesser man may have thrown in the towel with all the "little" setbacks on your projects.
The "little" setbacks seem to be the way that existence is making me learn and take care of things.

Quote:
It sounds like you may have this latest challenge under control.
Am going to be going out in a bit to install the NEW Fuel Pump on Ms. American, and then see if she will start&run. Have a feeling that everything is going to go swimmingly.

Quote:
I've worked on cars since I was 13, but I never spent much time on carbs.
Same here. BUT, in the past few years, have done some Carburetor rebuilding, but never REALLY understood how all the various systems functioned. This latest experience with the Autolite 4100 has cleared up much of the mysteriousness. Am probably going to do an explanation of the Primary Discharge and Idle Tranfer Passages. That's a pretty interesting set up. Have come to an understanding of it.

Quote:
I've been quite busy lately. We are buying a new pumper at the fire department, and my schedule has been full of meetings for the last month. It's a little odd talking about spending $450,000 like you are discussing buying groceries.
YOW! Almost a half a million bucks seems like a lot for a vehicle.

Quote:
This evening while at one of these meetings, my wife called to tell me that the passenger window in her Nissan was stuck in the down position. So at 10:00, when the meeting ended, I was disassembling the door to try to raise the window. Of course that didn't work, so I covered it with plastic.
It would be just like Nissan to make it to where you have to buy a whole NEW Door.

Quote:
I'll be ordering a new motor and linkage tomorrow, I suppose.
Right.

Quote:
I hope to be able to replace it on Thursday, before we go to my parents house.
Hopefully it can be replaced without having a bunch of "special" tools with which to do the deed.

Quote:
My Power Wagon goes into the body shop on Monday to have the neighbor-inflicted damage repaired. It should be 3-4 days. I'm still not happy about this, but I guess I'll have to let it go at some point. Maybe I'll replace that stress with the fact that my daughter is going to take the test for a learner's permit tomorrow.
Teach her how to drive well. She'll do fine.

Quote:
That covers just about everything.
Sounds like you have everything in hand.

Quote:
You hang in there, Mr. A! Al, Larry, and Charlie, too!
For sure.

Quote:
Who's next?
That would be Charlie.

Anyway, it's about warm enough out to start on the Fuel Pump Installation.

Will keep you all updated.

JC

JCAllison

Posted: 11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1935 View Post
Hi fellas.
Hey Charlie!

Quote:
Still kickin' here.
Was beginning to wonder.

Quote:
Mike, the county fire dept. in the next county over had a new truck stolen and wrecked recently. Totaled a brand new $450,000.00 truck! First new one they had ever had. Thief was caught and is now being supported by tax payers in a correctional institution.
Did they fine him? Is he going to have to make restitution? Maybe they could put a value of $225,000.00 on a testical, and... Well, you can see where THIS is going!

Quote:
Seems all others have had a round of it.
Charlie, if it isn't one damned thing it's another. It's like being married to a couple of CRANKY old women here.

Quote:
I'm thankful that I can still work though I don't run as hard as I did 30 or even 10 years ago.
Know what you mean. My father used to tell me that if I came home dog tired, that was an indication that I was working too hard.

Quote:
All have a good thanksgibbon and let us not forget to give thanks to all the military without whom we would have much less to be thankful for.
Speaking of military: there were soldiers all up and down the street here today while the Fuel Pump was being installed on Ms. American. Turned out it was ROTC and they were on maneuvers. Two groups, one wearing camouflage, and the other wearing Blue Jeans, and they were hunting each other in the forest&thicket.

And speaking of Ms. American: The installation of the Brand NEW Fuel Pump is finished. Have cleaned up the tools&materials, washed up, and am taking a break to let my back rest up from having spent most of the morning bent over the 3.14's front end.

Am going to go take a nap, and then go out and see if the old Gal will start&run.

Will keep you all updated on any progress.

JC

mopar fan

Posted: 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Retired DT Admin
City: Milan
Post #1320

Just thought I would check in to let you know I was still alive. Have a happy Turkey day everyone.

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!