Thinking of getting a charger - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Charger Talk (06 - Up) > Dodge Charger (06-Up) - General Talk

Closed Thread

moparmutt

Thinking of getting a charger - Posted: 11-18-2012, 05:59 PM
City: near Winston-Salem
State: NC
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

By January I will have my truck paid off. Right now it's my only car. So I have been thinking of a charger. It would have to have the 5.7. It would be a used one from 06-08 to keep the price down. Plus I like that generation.

Is there anything to look for? Any changes though the years?

I'm surprised there isn't more post for the chargers. I thought more people would mod them. I would have a load exhaust to start.
2005 Ram QC SLT Thunder Road Hemi 4x4, tinted windows, Rancho 4" lift, DC2 17 rims and FC2 35's, Magnaflow dual exhaust, Superchips 3865, K&N intake, Pocket Flares, Truxedo low pro, Nerf bars, bed rails, Weather Tech floor liners, Cobra CB, tailgate spoiler, back up lights, spray in bed liner, A/F gauge, Interceptor gauge
--------------------
2006 Charger Daytona R/T Hemi, loaded with all the bells and whistles
--------------------
Project 72 VW beetle chop top
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wyat72

Posted: 11-19-2012, 09:41 AM
PAID OFF!!!
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

There are other better forums for lx vehicles. A few are lxforums.com, chargerforums.com, and 300forums.com.

IMO if looking for a last get hemi look for one with the vvt hemis. They get much better fuel economy and better power as well. I believe they were available on the 09-10 hemi chargers.

Appearance Mods: Chrome Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Mopar Bug Guard, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Mud Flaps & Wheel Liners, Mopar Tow Hooks, Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers, AMI Chrome Fuel Door, Curt Customized Hitch Cover, Bully Locking Tailgate Handle, ACI Vanish Tonneau, Line-X Bed Liner, Autospring 2" Leveling Kit, Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Performance Mods: SuperChips FlashPaq, Volant CAI, 12589 Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe.

Red Truck Club Member #289
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Shots

Posted: 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM
The Irish brotherhood
City: North Eastern, Ohio
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

Well I'm on my second Charger and couldn't be happier. FWIW my first was a '10, that we bought used. Nice car, really enjoyed it, but my wife got a flyer in the mail from the local dealership saying they'd give us some outrageous amount for it (I don't remember specifically how much now, but it was more than we owed for it). So she was looking online and I picked one out with a boat load of options. I was thinking no way she could get it for a price we'd be happy with so I didn't even waste my time going with her. Well, long story short she actually closed the deal on it, I went up and signed papers.
I tell you all this because I wanted to say 2 things.
1 - The new style is MUCH nicer compared to my last Charger (but then it could be because my first one didn't have a lot of extras whereas the new one is packed with extras). Anyway the point is that I recommend looking at both models before you settle on one.
2 - The new V6 with the 8 speed transmission is pretty darn fast. Obviously the V8 will ultimately be faster, but if you haven't driven a new V6 you may want to try it, and compare how that feels to a previous style V8 (not as much of a difference as I had expected). 300 HP is pretty darn good for a V6 if you ask me.

Anyway. Just saying that if you're looking at 2010 you may be able to get a new model for nearly the same price (depending on what you're looking at).

And just because I can, here's a pic of the my "old" Charger and my new Charger. The "old" one is the grey '10, and the new one is the white '12.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg March photo contest wo js.jpg (513.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 8-24-12 3 resize.jpg (741.1 KB, 5 views)

Mods:
1.5" Auto Spring leveling kit / 1.5" Zone body lift / MB Chaos 18x9 with 275-70-18 Kelly Safari TSR / Extang SolidFold tonneau / Security film (tint) 50% / Putco window visors / Hydrodip console in TimbersEdge XD / CAI / Summit Racing Steet & Strip Muffler

..............................Would you risk your life for $1,000,000?..... A cop does it every day for a lot less.

moparmutt

Posted: 11-20-2012, 06:17 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

Thanks guys for some insight on them.

I do like the new tail lights. But for some reason I really like the older ones.

What year did they start using the keyfob for a key?

Shots, did the 2010 have a hemi?
2005 Ram QC SLT Thunder Road Hemi 4x4, tinted windows, Rancho 4" lift, DC2 17 rims and FC2 35's, Magnaflow dual exhaust, Superchips 3865, K&N intake, Pocket Flares, Truxedo low pro, Nerf bars, bed rails, Weather Tech floor liners, Cobra CB, tailgate spoiler, back up lights, spray in bed liner, A/F gauge, Interceptor gauge
--------------------
--------------------

Passwordiswhat

Posted: 11-20-2012, 07:58 PM
City: Sugar Land
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Get one. I love my R/T Charger.

moparmutt

Posted: 11-21-2012, 05:11 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passwordiswhat View Post
Get one. I love my R/T Charger.
You need to say something beside that. Like what year?motor? Well, I guess it's a 5.7 all the r/t i'm looking up have the hemi.

It seams like it's hard to find a hemi charger. Around here they all seam to be 4 cylinder or the 3.5.

The main reason I want a charger is I want a sport car and with it being a four door everyone can still ride. There is a challenger close by for sale, it's beautiful, I would love to have it. But the charger would fill more needs and still have the get up and go.
--------------------
--------------------

Shots

Posted: 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM
The Irish brotherhood
City: North Eastern, Ohio
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmutt View Post
Thanks guys for some insight on them.

I do like the new tail lights. But for some reason I really like the older ones.

What year did they start using the keyfob for a key?

Shots, did the 2010 have a hemi?
The '10 had the Fobik. They started using the push to start keyless system in '11 (when the body style changed).

My '10 was a V6, though I put all the RT stuff on it (spoiler, 18" rims, HID's, touch screen radio, etc). The only thing it didn't have was the V8.

As for the models you've seen. Just FYI they don't make a 4 cyl Chager.
The SE is a 2.7L V6, which I hear is a dog, but I haven't driven one myself.
The SE+, and SXT are 3.5L V6, which isn't bad but far from a V8.
The RT is a 5.7L V8 (345 hp), which is great fun.
The SRT8 is a 6.1L V8, which I haven't driven.
On the new body style Dodge introduced the 3.6L V6 with a 8 speed transmission. This option has either 292 hp or 300 hp depending on the package. They also still have the 5.7L V8 ( which is now up to 370 hp) and the 6.1L V8 (425 hp).

Mods:
1.5" Auto Spring leveling kit / 1.5" Zone body lift / MB Chaos 18x9 with 275-70-18 Kelly Safari TSR / Extang SolidFold tonneau / Security film (tint) 50% / Putco window visors / Hydrodip console in TimbersEdge XD / CAI / Summit Racing Steet & Strip Muffler

..............................Would you risk your life for $1,000,000?..... A cop does it every day for a lot less.

moparmutt

Posted: 11-22-2012, 09:51 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shots View Post
The '10 had the Fobik. They started using the push to start keyless system in '11 (when the body style changed).

My '10 was a V6, though I put all the RT stuff on it (spoiler, 18" rims, HID's, touch screen radio, etc). The only thing it didn't have was the V8.

As for the models you've seen. Just FYI they don't make a 4 cyl Chager.
The SE is a 2.7L V6, which I hear is a dog, but I haven't driven one myself.
The SE+, and SXT are 3.5L V6, which isn't bad but far from a V8.
The RT is a 5.7L V8 (345 hp), which is great fun.
The SRT8 is a 6.1L V8, which I haven't driven.
On the new body style Dodge introduced the 3.6L V6 with a 8 speed transmission. This option has either 292 hp or 300 hp depending on the package. They also still have the 5.7L V8 ( which is now up to 370 hp) and the 6.1L V8 (425 hp).
This helps alot. That was my mistake on the 4cyl, I thought the 2.7 was 4. I bet it is a dog. The charger is a big car.
--------------------
--------------------
Closed Thread