Tonneau cover for shaved tailgate. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Belgiquebasterd

Tonneau cover for shaved tailgate. - Posted: 11-17-2012, 04:57 AM
State: OTHER
Post #1

Looking for a tonneau cover that would work with a shaved tailgate handle. Really want a trifold one but don't wanna spend more than 500$, so I guess I'm stuck with a roll up one. I've browsed the forum a bit and the Truxedo Lo Pro and the Access one get good reviews. Question now is can their latching system be made to work with a shaved tailgate? Maybe lengthen the latch handles with a nylon strap wich then sticks out between the cover and tailgate? I don't care about security, I never leave anything expensive in my bed anyways.

What are you shaved tailgate guys running for tonneaucover?

Thanks, Christof.

392 inertia stroker - Edge 3000 stall - TCI outlaw ratchet shifter - AEM brute force CAI - PLX AFR gauge
392 build thread: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338656

Misc stuff build thread: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361771

Last edited by Belgiquebasterd : 11-17-2012 at 05:32 AM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Shikity

Posted: 11-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

I have the low pro on my truck. The tailgate has to be down to open it. Not only does it have a lever type latch to release it but it also has two sliding latches that keep it secure.

The Access Loredo I had on my last truck worked the same way.. Tailgate has to be down to make it work. I suppose you could rig something up since the lever does pull back toward the tailgate, but I wouldn't do it.. Your call on that though.
I think your best bet would be a fiberglass bed cover.

.....Visual Mods: Yes.....
.Performance Mods: Yes.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Belgiquebasterd

Posted: 11-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Post #3

I've got one of those ARE fibreglass covers now, I often need full access to my bed wich you can't with the fiberglass one, therefore I want the roll up type.

Since you've owned both wich ones is the better tonneau cover the truxedo one or the access one? Pricewise they both seem to be in the 450 to 500 range.

392 inertia stroker - Edge 3000 stall - TCI outlaw ratchet shifter - AEM brute force CAI - PLX AFR gauge

Misc stuff build thread: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361771

badblackram

Posted: 11-17-2012, 08:07 AM
City: brookhaven
State: MS
Post #4

The only folding cover that I can think of that latches from the top/outside is made by Fold-a-cover. Their g4 cover actually will unlatch from tailgate end and cab side end. Can't remember what they run but I think the G4 was 850. The LS was a tad bit cheaper. May be worth saving a little more for.

2006 Ram 1500
4.7L- Gibson S/S ceramic shorties
Flex-a-lite 183 e-fan kit
Catless w/ 12279 magnaflow
Apm ram air hood w/ ram air intake
Painted grille, bumper, & handles
Painted headlights w/ Retrofitted morimoto projectors
Power slot rotors
Diablo Sport Trinity with Hemifever tune
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
4.56 motive gears & Detroit Truetrac
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

RamLion

Posted: 11-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Victims arent we all
City: Temple/Waco
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #5

i posted one up a while back for a folding tonneau from paragon folding aluminum tonneau, shipped to front door for 599

Belgiquebasterd

Posted: 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackram View Post
The only folding cover that I can think of that latches from the top/outside is made by Fold-a-cover. Their g4 cover actually will unlatch from tailgate end and cab side end. Can't remember what they run but I think the G4 was 850. The LS was a tad bit cheaper. May be worth saving a little more for.
Came across that one during my web search, don't like the look of it you can see the hinges and locks, I wan't a smooth look like the truxedo one. I'll probably end up buying either the truxedo or the access one and then modify the latch system so I can open it.

Belgiquebasterd

Posted: 11-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamLion View Post
i posted one up a while back for a folding tonneau from paragon folding aluminum tonneau, shipped to front door for 599
Can't use that type, I'm running propane in my truck and the tank is right where thos aluminium pieces fold down.

Shikity

Posted: 11-17-2012, 01:27 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgiquebasterd View Post
I've got one of those ARE fibreglass covers now, I often need full access to my bed wich you can't with the fiberglass one, therefore I want the roll up type.

Since you've owned both wich ones is the better tonneau cover the truxedo one or the access one? Pricewise they both seem to be in the 450 to 500 range.

When I mentioned lo pro I guess I should have clarified.. The Lo Pro I have which is on the silver truck in my sig is the Access brand.. They call theirs a Lo Pro too I guess? Maybe I'm wrong on the title they give it. I haven't owned the Truxedo brand.

Between the two that I have owned, I like the looks of the Lo profile Access one better as it only sets up off the bed about 3/4 of an inch, but its not quite as good as the Access Loredo. The Loredo sets up a little higher and doesn't fit under my wing thats the only reason why I'm not using it..
It also has 3 cross bars vs the lo pros 2 and seems like a bit heavier material..

On the Agricover website they even list them as good/better/best and they are accurate with their description from my experiance with the covers..

I actually still have the Access loredo all rolled up in its box in the garage.. It was about 3 to 4 years old when I pulled it off the other truck.. Its not perfect but its not beat up either, shows some minor signs of use but its definately still usable and cleans up nice..
If you look in my gallery there are some pics of it on my old white truck. I haven't really thought about selling it but I'm not using it, and not sure when I will either. If you have any interest in it let me know. Are you here in the states? Not thinking you are for some reason???

I'll do one better and just post the pics here.

Attachment 356165

Attachment 356166

Last edited by Shikity : 01-21-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Belgiquebasterd

Posted: 11-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikityshack View Post
When I mentioned lo pro I guess I should have clarified.. The Lo Pro I have which is on the silver truck in my sig is the Access brand.. They call theirs a Lo Pro too I guess? Maybe I'm wrong on the title they give it. I haven't owned the Truxedo brand.

Between the two that I have owned, I like the looks of the Lo profile Access one better as it only sets up off the bed about 3/4 of an inch, but its not quite as good as the Access Loredo. The Loredo sets up a little higher and doesn't fit under my wing thats the only reason why I'm not using it..
It also has 3 cross bars vs the lo pros 2 and seems like a bit heavier material..

On the Agricover website they even list them as good/better/best and they are accurate with their description from my experiance with the covers..

I actually still have the Access loredo all rolled up in its box in the garage.. It was about 3 to 4 years old when I pulled it off the other truck.. Its not perfect but its not beat up either, shows some minor signs of use but its definately still usable and cleans up nice..
If you look in my gallery there are some pics of it on my old white truck. I haven't really thought about selling it but I'm not using it, and not sure when I will either. If you have any interest in it let me know. Are you here in the states? Not thinking you are for some reason???

I'll do one better and just post the pics here.

Attachment 356165

Attachment 356166
That would be awesome!!! Are you willing to ship to Belgium (preferably through usps since they are the cheapest), and how much you want for it?

I much prefer buying second hand for the sole reason that for companies it's illegal to downprice the goods on the shipping label so most won't do it. When buying second hand no one knows how much I paid. When the stuff arrives in Belgium I get taxed 30% on the total price of the item shipping included!! Another plus is big companies don't wanna work with usps, but only with ups or one of the other private companies wich are a lot more expensive.

Shikity

Posted: 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Belgiquebasterd, you have mail.

Closed Thread