DONOT Install Molded Splash Guards - without...t - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-28-2012, 01:23 PM
SEAN1STRAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DONOT Install Molded Splash Guards - without...t

Double sided tape or something underneath protecting your paint.

After reading another thread in DT today, took mine off - grrrr, the rear wasn't so bad however the front is horrific. Immediate trip for touch up pain, then sadly a trip to Line'x soon to fix (was in the plan anyhow but still) - i do not see how on earth this can be buffed out.

Anyone wanna hedge bets on Dodge ponying up on the paint repair....they didnt come from factory but are the factory sold molded Splash Guards. Worth a email and a call, but i am not holding my breath.

Full pics of truck, if you click on it you will see, so bad it can be easily visible from 20 feet away.....

Pics of course:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2379.JPG (196.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2380.JPG (220.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2381.JPG (190.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2382.JPG (159.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2383.JPG (199.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2384.JPG (182.3 KB, 25 views)

His - 2010 Brilliant Black 4x4 Crew Hemi/Rambox

Mods done: Linex, Volant CAI, 2.5" TGC level kit, Bakflip F1, stubby antenna, tow hooks, 50% tint front windows, Flow Pro muffler dropped at axle, Nitto Terra Grapplers 275/65R20 on stock rims, N-Fab steps, Sport Hood

Mods to do: skid plates

Hers - 2014 Wrangler Limited Altitude edition all black. Mods on the way.

Last edited by SEAN1STRAM; 04-28-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 PM
MeenGreen5.2
i'm blue :D

damn.... that sucks bro! i'd call chrysler and hold them responsible. a OEM part shouldnt damage paint like that.

2010 dodge ram 5.7 sport
deep water blue pearl
BLUE
24"verde rims
stock

BLUE TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #249
Trucks and Guns member #164
#3 Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
sphincter

Same thing happened to me. I took mine off after I lifted my truck and was greeted with huge gashes in the paint from where they had rubbed. Also had a ton of dirt and grime trapped behind each one despite being as tight as possible. It wasn't too noticeable after touch up with a brush but you can still an outline if you look closely. The paint on these trucks chips so easily that it really isn't all that surprising
#4 Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 PM
blackhemi4x4
Shut up and drive!

When I installed mine, I used silicone, not one issue. After the accident, the shop installed without silicone. After a few months, same issue as above, but mine went to the metal.

Touch up paint and polish cleaned it up pretty good. I was not worried about it since I was trading it in. If I were keeping it, i would have complained.

2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

mods: debadged
future mods: Exhaust, tires, tow hooks, skid plates, a/t tires, red brake calipers, maybe a tuner, line-x, 12" ported sub under a seat, colormatched grille
-Will be keeping it mostly stock.

My G/F also has the same truck, only hers is 100% stock-2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

Former owner of 2007 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn 5.7
99 Neon ES auto
01 Neon ES 5 speed
a handful of dodge Shadows (4 of them, all running)
early 90's D50

Im no longer amotorkat :P

#5 Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Ram18

All molded splash guards do this on all trucks no matter what brand. It sucks, but I don't think Chrysler or any manufacturer is going to fix it for free. Definitely worth a shot though! It happened with my buddy's Silverado too and he ended up having a shop repaint those areas. Then he used some 3M tape before reinstalling the splash guards. You can see the tape if you look closely, and in my opinion, that doesn't look so great either.

My Dodge (mopar) splash guards have done the same thing on my 08 but I don't care because you wouldn't know unless you took them off. That's the thing...if you ever plan on taking them off and leaving them off...it's a problem. Otherwise, I think you'd have to keep the truck for well over 20-30 years and hundreds of thousands of miles before the integrity of the metal would be at stake.

One last thing...as much as I'd prefer the clean look of no splash guards at all, they really make a difference in how many stone chips hit your rockers and lower doors. I've had my truck for almost 4 years and it looks brand new. I would gladly accept the molded splash guard problem over all the stone chips. Well...not gladly, but you know what I mean.

Just my experience and opinion...

2008 Ram Quad Cab 1500 4X4 HEMI (mine)
SLT Big Horn
3.92 gears
20" chrome clad wheels
Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60R20
MBRP dual exhaust split rear
SC3865

2007 Chrysler Aspen AWD HEMI (hers)
Limited
3.55 gears
20" chrome clad wheels

2001 Ram Quad Cab 1500 4X4 5.9 Off Road
2001 Durango SLT 4X4 4.7
#6 Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 AM
thebluegoat

I was able to catch this early and put some 3m scotch guard underneath. I put the moulded ones on in the winter and use the deflector plastic pieces in the summer.

2011 Ram 1500 CC Sport 4x4 Deep Water Blue Pearlcoat
2013 Sport Rims | 14" Magnaflow DIDO | Magnaflow 5" Tips | Y-Pipe Deleted | Tailgate Light Bar & LED Tails | BT Catch Can & Under Hood Kit | 5% Tint | Color Matched Antenna Base
Future Mods: JBA Short Tubes, Roll-Bak Tonneau Cover
#7 Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Ramjoe

I took my stock wheel spats off and it was starting to leave marks. With the new husky mud guards it comes with the 3m protective film. Works great.

2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7, Bright White--- Ram Box, Spray in bed liner, Trailer brake controller, Tow Mirrors. (factory), Smitty Bilt SS Step bars, Husky Mud Guards, Mufflex DOD14M, AFE Full Metal Power CAI, Billet Technologies Catch Can, Vision Warrior 375 17in wheels w\ Nitto Terra Grapplers, Daystar 2.5 in Lift front and rear.

Moscow Lodge #504 PA
#8 Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 AM
dwins1900

Damn dude when did you level your truck? That sucks about the paint
#9 Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
SEAN1STRAM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwins1900 View Post
Damn dude when did you level your truck? That sucks about the paint
about 6 months ago? its a TGC love it!! I actually measured it, back end is still 1 inch higher.....

Mods done: Linex, Volant CAI, 2.5" TGC level kit, Bakflip F1, stubby antenna, tow hooks, 50% tint front windows, Flow Pro muffler dropped at axle, Nitto Terra Grapplers 275/65R20 on stock rims, N-Fab steps, Sport Hood

#10 Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 AM
SEAN1STRAM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram18 View Post
All molded splash guards do this on all trucks no matter what brand. It sucks, but I don't think Chrysler or any manufacturer is going to fix it for free. Definitely worth a shot though! It happened with my buddy's Silverado too and he ended up having a shop repaint those areas. Then he used some 3M tape before reinstalling the splash guards. You can see the tape if you look closely, and in my opinion, that doesn't look so great either.

My Dodge (mopar) splash guards have done the same thing on my 08 but I don't care because you wouldn't know unless you took them off. That's the thing...if you ever plan on taking them off and leaving them off...it's a problem. Otherwise, I think you'd have to keep the truck for well over 20-30 years and hundreds of thousands of miles before the integrity of the metal would be at stake.

One last thing...as much as I'd prefer the clean look of no splash guards at all, they really make a difference in how many stone chips hit your rockers and lower doors. I've had my truck for almost 4 years and it looks brand new. I would gladly accept the molded splash guard problem over all the stone chips. Well...not gladly, but you know what I mean.

Just my experience and opinion...
the only plus with this is the wife is now on board with the 1400$ linex rocker guard purchase.....stay tuned

#11 Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
SEAN1STRAM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphincter View Post
Same thing happened to me. I took mine off after I lifted my truck and was greeted with huge gashes in the paint from where they had rubbed. Also had a ton of dirt and grime trapped behind each one despite being as tight as possible. It wasn't too noticeable after touch up with a brush but you can still an outline if you look closely. The paint on these trucks chips so easily that it really isn't all that surprising
this might be my very short term solution until I have $$ for Line-x, touch up paint, 3m to reapply.

I hate the look of the things, but we travel on gravel a lot in the summer time

#12 Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM
dwins1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAN1STRAM View Post
about 6 months ago? its a TGC love it!! I actually measured it, back end is still 1 inch higher.....
Looks good is there a thread where you got it? Is it 2, 2.5 in front?
#13 Old 04-29-2012, 02:17 PM
RedRam20s

My Mopar splash guards for my 3G Ram did the same thing. Touch up paint and polish made it not noticeable from a few feet away.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2738_1.gif

2012 1500 CC 5.7L 4x4
Deep Cherry Red
Leather
430N Nav
Tow Mirrors
ParkSense
Alpine
#14 Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 PM
SEAN1STRAM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwins1900 View Post
Looks good is there a thread where you got it? Is it 2, 2.5 in front?
kit was 2.5 in front, .75 in back but dealer suggested for more level no rear...so i gave them away to someone on DT. Just did 2.5 in front. Oh and I was wrong, it was 8 months ago

thread is here: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340832

Sean

#15 Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM
black05tj

For the money, you'd think MOPAR would include the 3M tape with the splash guards.

Well, actually you'd think they'd give a quality paint job to begin with, but I guess that's a discussion for another thread...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.